Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is obsidian still an economic stone?  (Read 4057 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is obsidian still an economic stone?
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:23:18 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Obsidian

> Obsidian is considered an economic stone by default; in order to allow general use at workshops and in architecture you must enable "obsidian" in the stocks "Stone" menu.

That seems to be no longer true in 43.05?  Or at least, obisidian is no longer under the economic section when setting up a stone stockpile.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is obsidian still an economic stone?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 06:38:06 pm »

Obsidian's still an economic stone in the "Stone" tab of the status screen and needs to have its status toggled before stonecrafters and masons can use it (unless you have full obsidian layers on your embark, typically on volcano maps).

It's a bit unintuitive that the stockpile interface files obsidian (and raw adamantine) under "other stones", granted, but that's unchanged from earlier versions.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:49:25 am »

Odd, my stone crafters and masons were happy to use the obsidian that was mined (layer stone) in this current embark, without me toggling anything in the status screen.

Does its appearance as a layer stone change the status of that status screen toggle?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:34:19 pm »

Yeah, that's what i meant with "unless you have full obsidian layers": if you have obsidian or any of the "layerable" flux types (marble, dolomite, limestone, chalk) as actual stone layers, these types will start out "non-economical", i.e. freely usable by masons, mechanics and stonecrafters.

This automatic economy toggle has also been standard game behaviour for years.