Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The forests shall burn  (Read 4403 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
The forests shall burn
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:06:50 pm »

So, in the next version we will be able to send squads out for "eneric raids if you just want to start trouble".
I think we all know exactly who we are purging out of the continent.

Also, this might become a great way to deal with fps death. Recruit half fort, give them whatever weapons you have lying around and send them to kill as many elves as possible, the important thing is to offload them from the fort for a while.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The forests shall burn
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:30:32 pm »

Burning forests would be murder on a framerate. 

Also, a waste of good wood which could otherwise be crafted into things. 

Send a squad of axedwarfs to clearcut. 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:46:07 pm »

Burning forests would be murder on a framerate. 

Also, a waste of good wood which could otherwise be crafted into things. 

Send a squad of axedwarfs to clearcut.
Abstract burning of an off-map, off-screen forest would have pretty much no effect at all on the framerate.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:56:12 pm »

I still vote for clearcutting. Burning may be cathartic, but clearcutting generates so much more value.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:18:59 pm »

Clearcut, then set up a load of wood furnaces and get to work powering the forges.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:21:43 pm »

Arguably of economic value would also be those random bones your warriors would just happen to find, as well as the export of naturally-growing necklaces/baubles.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 05:44:12 pm »

Clearcut, then set up a load of wood furnaces and get to work powering the forges.
Unless your squad are going to lug it all back, you'd need to steal the elven caravan too. Doubt the vicious yaks leading it will be too pleased.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 11:35:18 pm »

I wonder if we would be able to bring prisoners back. Maybe not in the next version.

That would be nice to bring a bunch of elf and set up some camp to teach them to concentrate.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 06:47:10 am »

On map forest fires are on the worst thing in the game. FPS collaps and and endless list of trees collapsing on the surface (auto pause game unless turned off) resulting in an endless list of small holes in the surface.

In the rest of the world, I can't really see much point of it. It will just be cpu time spend with no real gameplay gain.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:17:18 am »

On map forest fires are on the worst thing in the game. FPS collaps and and endless list of trees collapsing on the surface (auto pause game unless turned off) resulting in an endless list of small holes in the surface.

In the rest of the world, I can't really see much point of it. It will just be cpu time spend with no real gameplay gain.
Urist, what is good in life?
Crush the hippies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their trees.
That is good!

The gameplay benefit is the gaping hole on the new map where an Elf retreat used to be. That's as much 'point' as anything else in the game.

The rest of the world manages to kill each other and destroy each other's sites with no noticeable cpu damage. No reason your dorfs joining in on the fun would be any different.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:24:12 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 12:13:01 pm »

In the short term it would be. The game KEEPS TRACK of your dwarves on the mission. I don't know if it's coming in the next release, but this whole thing is being used as a test case for creating different tabs you can follow for keeping track of stuff on different planes of existence. The first test, watching your squads do their thing off the map. Again, not sure if that's coming in this release, but it's one of the reasons for the replacement of the Civ screen with a strategic map.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 01:16:15 pm »

No, multiple views is not planned for the next release; that will have to wait a little. Parties sent out will result in a report (and hopefully the return of the party) when the foray is finished/the results are known.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 07:29:32 pm »

In the short term it would be. The game KEEPS TRACK of your dwarves on the mission. I don't know if it's coming in the next release, but this whole thing is being used as a test case for creating different tabs you can follow for keeping track of stuff on different planes of existence. The first test, watching your squads do their thing off the map. Again, not sure if that's coming in this release, but it's one of the reasons for the replacement of the Civ screen with a strategic map.
The game keeps track of all armies moving around the map. The outside world is alive. Your dorf squads are just one more army. The only tricky parts are leaving and entering the fortress map.

Alternate dimensions in the mythgen update will also enable viewing of off-map squads. Apparently "it's exactly the same thing".

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 01:08:11 pm »

I still vote for clearcutting. Burning may be cathartic, but clearcutting generates so much more value.

Clearcut, haul, then burn the remaining saplings and bushes and grass.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 03:09:28 pm »

The problem with burning is that it's a required step in the life cycle of some trees, so you'd be helping the forests.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4