Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The forests shall burn  (Read 4401 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The forests shall burn
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 03:42:20 pm »

Only if you don't pave the forests over afterwards, and block out the sun for good measure.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 10:41:21 pm »

Only if you don't pave the forests over afterwards, and block out the sun for good measure.

Build a shell around the world
Use adamantite to be sure of stability
Over thousands of years, debris builds up on outside
Life evolves
Life digs
"Screams echo from the darkness below!"
TFW No Urist you are the demons
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 12:03:49 am »

"A domain of evil it is. In you must go."
"What's in there?"
"Only what you take with you."

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 05:50:04 am »

Don't you ever think what is down in the pits.
Build a roof of slade over them they said, they will last forever.
History repeats itself, soon the ants will be striking the soil barriers to unleash the spiders.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 07:03:53 am »

Well, the last devlog confirms we can start wars now. Interesting: is it possible to attack only visible sites like villages and forest returns? Toady said "nothing fighty" in one of his posts earlier but seems it is not longer a issue. Can we raid mummy tombs or beast lairs? Can we raid *SPOILERS* and bring certain metal items to fortress in order to melt later? In any case, new update will give us a ton of new possibilities. In last versions, I had problems with lack of sieges, but now I can start wars with all civilizations available (maybe even dwarven civilizations? I'm not certain).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 07:42:10 am »

Well, the last devlog confirms we can start wars now. Interesting: is it possible to attack only visible sites like villages and forest returns? Toady said "nothing fighty" in one of his posts earlier but seems it is not longer a issue. Can we raid mummy tombs or beast lairs? Can we raid *SPOILERS* and bring certain metal items to fortress in order to melt later? In any case, new update will give us a ton of new possibilities. In last versions, I had problems with lack of sieges, but now I can start wars with all civilizations available (maybe even dwarven civilizations? I'm not certain).
You could start a war with another dwarvern civ, but unless Toady changes dwarf civ behaviors they won't come to attack you. Dwarf civs don't attack anyone for some reason.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 08:30:46 am »

*Declares war on the sea*
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 10:54:13 am »

You could start a war with another dwarvern civ, but unless Toady changes dwarf civ behaviors they won't come to attack you. Dwarf civs don't attack anyone for some reason.

That's because they don't have attack triggers despite being a siege; attack them all you want, before you hit the nessecary attack trigger they can't do anything (I like to set it to max 200 pop/lots of value etc so dwarves actually attack bloated worldgen settlements for good reason) and is easily fixable in the raws.

I also asked a question in the FoTF thread about other race interactions, and how as a [babysnatcher] race you might be able to abduct younglings or a [item_theif] skulking race (which is basically sending out small expedition troops) goes out to loot random objects for a change of perspective scope. Change profession of the person to a expedition only role, send them off to do interaction etc.

"My liege, the dwarves have sent their reply to your request for peace as pardoning their action after they razed one of our settlements"

*Unwraps stone tablet in a bound bag, in dwarf iconographic language there is are multiple almonds as a reply*

"NUTS!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 04:51:53 pm »

Yeah, I know technically why dwarves don't attack. Just not why they were made to be that way and if that's likely to change any time soon.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 10:04:16 pm »

*Declares war on the sea*

Oh, hey, Caligula!

Someone who has modded the game so Dwarves can attack should answer this one: How do the dwarves fare when they get aggressive? We get access to steel. We, the players, can mine out Adamantine and use it. Dwarves get major advantages, especially now that we get mercs from other races (many larger than us) that we can deck out in our advanced metals. Unless our chosen race sucks at the offense, I'd say they got made passive to avoid them roflstomping their way through other countries like the Germans at the beginning of WW2.

That being said, it might be more exciting going through a world where a Dwarven blitz stormed most of a continent only for a goblin or elven site to completely alter its laws and turn the tide. Or when boats come out we might see dwarves break everyone else on their continent and piss off the wrong people somewhere else who come in and stomp them into the ground.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 12:40:52 am »

I think Toady made the dwarves not attack because he was following lore of dwarves defending their homelands. In how many works have you seen armies of dwarves invading anyone? the only one I can think is the game Overlord.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 01:37:02 am »

I think Toady made the dwarves not attack because he was following lore of dwarves defending their homelands. In how many works have you seen armies of dwarves invading anyone? the only one I can think is the game Overlord.
Dragonlance featured a historical war between two dwarf civs. Although they were all smited mid-battle by an angry god or perhaps a faulty gnome invention so didn't try that again.

Tolkien dwarves also invaded folk from time to time. So there's no real literary basis for why they shouldn't invade.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:47:07 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 02:23:00 am »

Thorin Oakenshield got that name during the War of the Dwarves and Orcs.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 04:59:39 am »

I wonder if we would be able to bring prisoners back. Maybe not in the next version.

That would be nice to bring a bunch of elf and set up some camp to teach them to concentrate.

I'd rather go the Belgian route and cut off the hands of the children who don't produce enough masterful wooden bolts.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 06:20:11 am »

Someone who has modded the game so Dwarves can attack should answer this one: How do the dwarves fare when they get aggressive? We get access to steel. We, the players, can mine out Adamantine and use it. Dwarves get major advantages, especially now that we get mercs from other races (many larger than us) that we can deck out in our advanced metals. Unless our chosen race sucks at the offense, I'd say they got made passive to avoid them roflstomping their way through other countries like the Germans at the beginning of WW2.

That being said, it might be more exciting going through a world where a Dwarven blitz stormed most of a continent only for a goblin or elven site to completely alter its laws and turn the tide. Or when boats come out we might see dwarves break everyone else on their continent and piss off the wrong people somewhere else who come in and stomp them into the ground.

In my own experience, and you could say from a unmodded experience too, is that the dwarves are pretty strong (fight's aren't really calculated on metal vs metal) in having decent lifespans to learn their craft but this is also their downfall for pseudo sterilising their race in small numbers with lots of incompatible & variably aged dwarves.

As goblins and elves are immortal and marry & breed at a pace indefinitely (unless toady adds a worldgen childbearing cap to stop superhuge families) so while it is slow to pair up a small population into married couples, once a large enough population gets going they have a sustainable flow of population (a goblin or elf commune in very small numbers can become sterile from odd immortality ages if similar ones are killed off). Dwarves have long lifespans which complicates getting married before they die in finding someone while they are middle aged or young in which to bear children with, as they will probably not survive having more than one child later in life.

Humans on the other hand have short lifespans but the window in which they can get married is much much wider, which means that they breed extremely fast. There are lots of humans living as peasants, communally without homes in villages just waiting to be drafted.

A 1000 wide human army may invoke catastrophic losses upon itself, but will eventually overwhelm a 250 strong dwarven army as swarm tactics often works better. As battles get better & more simulated off more reliable factors than skill roles & how many men you bring to the fight we might be able to get a more reliable picture of how good the dwarves are at fighting.

> Remembering that the dwarves have the capacity to conquer settlements already by using a forced overseer [CONQUERED_SITE] noble, so you could go around flipping hostile human settlements so you can get a influx of natural migrants/merchants residing in your human town if they aren't all put to the hammerer.

> Goblins also take slaves from raided/conquered sites in worldgen, so we'll have to see if this raid system respects those rules in relocating persons, and said relationships of people barging onto your site to recover family. (Just incase you want to play the bad guy)
*Raids and conquers site, since it is cheaper than building a new hillock*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4