Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you make railings?  (Read 1643 times)

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you make railings?
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:42:44 pm »

Lately I have been thinking about various ways to use open vertical space in the fortress.  For example, I might want to build a tavern which has a balcony level that can look down on the dance floor so patrons can enjoy music from the comfort of a table not immediately adjacent to the performer.  Yeah, I know, this is just an aesthetic rather than functional thing.  But still, the idea has appeal as a project.  But leaving bare edges that anyone could just trip and fall over seemed an odd idea to me. 

So is there any kind of furniture or construction that likes to use as railings?  If there were something like a low fence construction (to pen animals in without using up a single block or stone on each tile) I would use that.  Vertical bars or grates seem like they would be a little too high, given they reach the ceiling.  Fortifications feel a little too chunky.  What do you (the community) think? 

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: How do you make railings?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:06:35 pm »

The closest I can think of is glass windows.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:16:09 pm »

It's a block based game and therefore chunky is your only option. There are no edge-only pieces. I use fortifications.

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:28:03 pm »

I might use wooden grates and think of it like a nice lattice-work.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:18:17 pm »

I also use fortifications, as water can flow over them and dwarves can see the enemy and shoot the enemy through them, they must be not quite as tall as a wall. I've also been known to use glass windows. Bars seem too prisony, but I reckon they'd be like the balconies on schools: Safely too high to climb over, but easy to see through.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 06:18:49 pm »

Since dwarves will not path over those kinds of edges I decided to imagine them as having railings automatically.

Only time they don't respect that is if they are dodging/melancholy/etc anyway.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 11:26:22 am »

Statues surely? A fortification feels too solid, but a nice line of statues? Nice for colour coding your balconies.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.