Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something Fun is happening  (Read 843 times)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Something Fun is happening
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:48:05 pm »

Veteran player but new to 43.xx. An interesting change from earlier versions is that the dead now rise from the grave, rather than being locked rattling in their coffins to sleep forever. What follows it is more interesting. Once the offending corpse has been redeadened, he will be transfered back and forth from the refuse pile to his tomb again and again.

Anyone else encountered this? Any solutions other than feeding his corpse to the fires?
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Screamy

• Bay Watcher
  • ^Utter newb. Please advice.
    • View Profile
Re: Something Fun is happening
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:38:14 pm »

Now; disclaimer, I´m a complete newb, but I might have seen this issue tackled in an LP.

Did you perchance settle in a haunted biome?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:28:48 am »

I haven't encountered it, nor do I have any solution apart from eliminating the corpse and using a slab. Well, I guess you could 'f'orbid the corpse while it briefly lies in the coffin to prevent if from being hauled away again.

However, 0.42.01 and onward corpses of undead former sapients are now considered non sapient corpses that belong to the refuse stockpile and do not inspire horror (even in the skittish merchant wagons). Non dwarven sapient corpses were hauled to the refuse stockpile before (inspiring horror), but now all of them are hauled to the corpse stockpile (there is no way to distinguish friend from foe, as the corpse stockpile doesn't have any additional settings). Note: corpse stockpile /= refuse/corpse stockpile sub section.

My guess then is that the corpse is treated both as an undead body to be disposed of and as a body belonging to a coffin. Unless it's been reported, it probably should be as a new bug report. The behavior seems similar to how animals in a pasture ordered to be put on a chained was hauled back and forth because they weren't released from the pasture (I think that bug has been fixed).

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 06:01:52 am »

Now; disclaimer, I´m a complete newb, but I might have seen this issue tackled in an LP.

Did you perchance settle in a haunted biome?

Yush screamy I did. My complaint is not that the dead man started walking, that i expected. I did not expect once he had been entombed he would start walking. in 40.24 and before burial draws a very firm line underneath reanimation.

Thank you as ever Patrik, I will try the forbidding trick if i can find the tick that the corpse is actually put in the grave cos it seems to be nigh instantaneous between putting down and picking up.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:51:18 am »

Another idea then: look at the dorf hauling the corpse back to the tomb and then remove refuse hauling on it. That ought to make hauling in the other direction fall on some other dorf, and give you a larger window for forbidding (or, if it's bad enough, remove all corpse hauling until the dance with the dead is over).

Screamy

• Bay Watcher
  • ^Utter newb. Please advice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 11:24:03 am »

Ah, reason i asked sir, is that this LP´er kept getting all manners of werd stuff raising again, not only bodies, but even weird stuff like clumps of hair.
 His findings are thusly; anything fully crippled by a blunt weapon will be forever unable to rise.
 And anything lacking parts to fully cripple will need to be trapped.
If your friends keep rising, assign them a squad of friendly hammeres and they should leave you in peace.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:24:54 pm »

Sounds like players settling in Evil biomes ought to start establishing their tombs as small cells containing a coffin and sealed with a door that can be locked. 

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 07:44:52 pm »

I haven't encountered it, nor do I have any solution apart from eliminating the corpse and using a slab. Well, I guess you could 'f'orbid the corpse while it briefly lies in the coffin to prevent if from being hauled away again.

However, 0.42.01 and onward corpses of undead former sapients are now considered non sapient corpses that belong to the refuse stockpile and do not inspire horror (even in the skittish merchant wagons). Non dwarven sapient corpses were hauled to the refuse stockpile before (inspiring horror), but now all of them are hauled to the corpse stockpile (there is no way to distinguish friend from foe, as the corpse stockpile doesn't have any additional settings). Note: corpse stockpile /= refuse/corpse stockpile sub section.

My guess then is that the corpse is treated both as an undead body to be disposed of and as a body belonging to a coffin. Unless it's been reported, it probably should be as a new bug report. The behavior seems similar to how animals in a pasture ordered to be put on a chained was hauled back and forth because they weren't released from the pasture (I think that bug has been fixed).

I attempted this and, quite interestingly, it made no difference. It seems the burial and then the hauling to the refuse pile was treated as one continous job. Food for thought...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 09:07:41 pm »

As a stopgap preventative measure: You could try walling the tombs in once they've been filled the first time. It will mean you'll end up with walled-in rooms full of the walking dead, but on the plus side, they're harmless in there. Sort of like the werebeasts I've got walled into their former bedrooms.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!