Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dungeon Race (An Arms Race Game): Central Thread (THIS IS BACK, JOIN NOW)  (Read 7170 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another arms race game, inspired largely by (and mostly stolen from) Iituem's Wands Race game. If something looks stolen, all credit to Iituem.

Long ago the land of Relt was inhabited by a race of ingenious dwarves. At some point in the distant past, the entirety of dwarven civilization was destroyed in a terrible cataclysm. Little was left of their once power nation and the magics they possessed. In time, an unknown amount of time later, humans arrived on the small continent of Relt. Two nations eventually arose, the northern nation of Vunico and the southern nation of Goria. The two countries have hated each other from a time immemorial, each coveting what the other had. Between the two lay an almost impassible mountain range. The ocean surrounding the continent is treacherous. Terrible beasts roam the seas there, making naval warfare impossible. Truly the only thing keeping the two nations from all out war was the impossibility at getting at eachother. 

Last year, 512 years after humans first settled this continent, a terrible earthquake shook the entire continent. Giant mountains sprung up on the north west and south east corners of the continent. While this was rather unfortunate for the poor souls who once lived where the new mountains are, it revealed an ancient dungeon that connected the two countries! Whats more, each side found ancient dwarven relics which would give them an advantage in the coming war! The most powerful and important among these is the summoning circle your scouts discovered. Its power will allow you to create/summon creatures and soldiers to help you in the war.

You are a member of your nation's magic and technology research division, set with the task of providing your nation with new weapons and magic to help them gain control of the massive dungeon beneath Relt. 

Goria Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163351.0
Vunico Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163353.0

The Nations:

Goria is the southern nation on the continent of Relt. It is a hot dry nation mostly composed of endless grasslands, deserts, and rocky badlands. There is plenty of arable land, a decent amount of natural resources, but few forests. The Gorian army is large, but is poorly trained and managed. It's mostly made up of roving bands of nomads who are more used to hunting than actual combat. Its national animal is the dragalo. Glory to Goria!

Vunico is the northern nation on the continent of Relt. It is a cold wet nation mostly composed of forests, tundra, and swamps. There are plenty of trees, a decent amount of natural resources, but little arable land. The Vunico army is small, but it is highly trained and well managed. A few decades ago there was a small civil war in Vunico, and while the tensions have (mostly) resided, the army has retained a strict training regiment. Its national animal is the brog. Victory for Vunico!

In either nation's thread, you may suggest what to do each turn, and vote in favor other suggestions. Please stick to one nation, nobody likes a turncoat! Turns occur in two phases:
-In the Design Phase, you may suggest a new product (EG a brand new spell). I will secretly roll some dice, and depending how ambitious your new project is, I will assign an Expense to it, and possibly introduce Bugs. If you want, you can simply revise an old project instead of making a new one.
-Once you've seen the results of your efforts, we move to the Revision Phase- you can try to reduce the expense, remove bugs, or add features to a product. This doesn't have to be the product you started in the first phase, if you're happy with it.
-Then the fighting happens! I'll provide a description of who has the advantage on which fronts, and roll some dice. Resources will be gained and lost sometimes. The next year will start, and we will move to a new Design phase.

Sometimes, you might earn a Design Credit or a Revision Credit, which will allow you one extra design or revision action in one turn.

Expense: Regular equipment can be given to everyone in your army. If a piece of equipment is difficult to produce, it has expense levels: 1 is Expensive, 2 is Very Expensive, and 3 is A National Effort. It doesn't matter how many different types you have, as you'll still only be making enough to equip everyone. Inexpensive equipment could be given to every soldier, if you want. Expensive equipment can be given to officers, or one per squad (5-10 soldiers). Very Expensive equipment can be used by special squads only, about 1 in 100 soldiers. Your nation can only deploy one National Effort at a time. If you have multiple weapons at a price tier, then soldiers/squads choose one for the situation. Some weapons don't benefit much from being Inexpensive because there aren't many situations where you'd want everyone using one.

You might gain an Expense Credit for a certain type of unit, reducing the expense by 1- for example, if the King desperately wants a new giant monster, they'll offer an expense credit for it, which might reduce your new lightning jellyfish monstrosity from A National Effort to Very Expensive.

The expense of equipment is determined when you design it. The more new features, or the more ambitious, the more likely it is to be expensive. You can attempt to reduce the expense when revising equipment- this might introduce bugs, or it might permanently reduce the expense of that technology.

Spoiler:  Battles (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:24:24 am by Roboson »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Race: Central Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:37:35 pm »

Reserved.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Race: Central Thread
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 10:05:52 pm »

Sounds Very interesting, P T W
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Race (An Arms Race Game): Central Thread
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 03:57:33 pm »

PTW
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:10:40 pm »

Was planning on updating soon, but I'm going to post-pone it at least until we get another person or two on each team.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:51:09 pm »

What's the current roster for each nation?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:52:33 pm »

What's the current roster for each nation?
3 in Goria
2 in Vunico

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 09:01:18 pm »

Well then:

Vittoria a Vunico!
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 09:13:40 pm »

Glory for Goria!!!
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 01:56:10 am »

Yeah, alright. Veni vidi Vunico
Long Live United Forenia!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 02:00:12 pm »

Update in 1-3 hours.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 01:39:04 am »

Poh, sting, tow, hotch.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 01:46:59 am »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 02:19:26 pm »

Posting to watch
Message Translated with a 80% Accuracy.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 02:52:45 pm »

Close, but your method doesn't summon Choo-choo ta Hulu.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2 3