Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In Pursuit of Fruit  (Read 815 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
In Pursuit of Fruit
« on: March 21, 2017, 09:40:52 pm »

Alright, so ever since Toady gave us all those yummy fruits to work with, I've been often letting what fruit trees I get decide if I stat at a place or not. I know, it's weird, but I need my dwarves to eat good fruit. But onto my question!

So, I want a really nice embark, probably 5x5, and that'd include multiple fruit types for harvest each year. What biomes would I have to embark on  all at once to get:

Peaches, plums, apples, apricots, pomegranates, bananas, mangoes, limes, and pomelos, all on the same embark? Citrons and a lime variant are even better inclusions.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
Re: In Pursuit of Fruit
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:26:37 pm »

embark in an area that is within a mid to high temperature cusp with multiple biomes, each different but with a focus on regions that have more trees. Chances are you'll get a large variety of fruit. probably can't get all the one's you'd like but maybe it's possible.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:18:19 am »

I think PatrikLundell managed to brew every brewable plant/fruit once, so I think it's possible, but probably not easy...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:31:24 am »

I think PatrikLundell managed to brew every brewable plant/fruit once, so I think it's possible, but probably not easy...

Damn, he did? That deserves much praise...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 01:08:24 am »

I can only imagine the time spent on trading for sliver barb and random garden vegetables.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:06:56 am »

I did get all brews briefly (it's hard to get the buggers not to eat some before they're brewed). However, there was quite a lot of trickery (or cheating) involved:
- Firstly, a PSV world with the embark world level tile and the 8 surrounding ones having a different (carefully selected) biome. Not really cheating there. Obviously one of the biomes was evil (for sliver barb, which I've never been able to trade for, and I doubt it's possible to do so, as that would require humans to settle in evil regions. Likewise, I've never been able to trade for sun berries for the same reason, as elves don't sell berries, only fruit).
- Making a script that added every plant that's legal for a biome to it if not present, and applied it after world generation but before accepting the world.
- Making a script that morphed the embark level so a 3*3 tile area close to the center each had their biome drawn from their corresponding neighbor, and then embark on that 3*3 area.
- Made a script to designate one each of each brewable or threshable plant from the embark (to get a starting seed). This is a convenience only, as that can be done manually.
- Made another script that designated the cutting of all trees except one of each brewable or threshable fruit bearing tree (there are no threshable trees currently, but since the logic already existed from the previous script I kept it). Also corrects a deficiency in getplants that caused multiple jobs if the script was invoked multiple times before a tree was cut (getplants worked correctly when written, apparently, but DF changed the logic later).
- While shrubs seems to be capable of appearing over time if present in their biome, I haven't found any new tree species appear post embark. Some may be present only as sapling on embark, but they're present.
- The only "tree" missing from my embark was bananas. I was able to trade for those from the pointy ears, and I later "planted" a banana "tree" using a the plants script (rationalizing it by the fact that I had seeds). My full booze list was reached before that, however.
- Dates and Papayas are a pain because they apparently produce fruit only on their main stem, so yields are low and usually stolen and eaten before it reaches the still.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 12:13:53 am »

Patrik,
I must admit that I'm much more impressed with your ability to manipulate the game code than I am with the untold tedium, ingame, of doing it. I know you run small forts, so a definate +1 for that!

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 03:16:09 pm »

As an additional query to this, is it still true in 43.05 that the only plants dwarves will eat raw are berries (not fruit) & PH, all the rest needing to be processed in some way?

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 02:13:20 am »

mmmm....fruit.

Brewable, and then (for some of them) their seeds are cookable.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 03:52:15 am »

No, they definitely steal and eat fruit before I manage to brew it. They also nick brewable vegetables, thus depriving the fortress of some valuable booze. I don't mind them eating it if it's a favorite food item, but I don't like it when it's a case of "grab something random and shove it down".