Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarven !!SCIENCE!! Think Tank  (Read 5531 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven !!SCIENCE!! Think Tank
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 03:01:16 am »

It has been a few years since I ran the muddy tile experiment. I think Prospect now reports grass depths, so I think I might be able to run my proposed followup experiment now.

Next time I have some free time, I will check into it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 07:05:58 pm »

PT!!SCIENCE!!.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 08:49:35 pm »

I am just going to PTW this because concentrations of science can't be lost.

Oh, wait, maybe this count a propose?

I saw people weaponizing the dust from FB's making a zombie or something pass through weapons and letting the Beast of the underworld increase the lethality of weapons.

I also saw on the wikipedia the only know way to use gnomeblight dropping it on top of the already trapped victim

Where i want to get is:

-A way to use those useless poison barrels from mountainhome, drop then somehow in the weapons and assign them to your warriors so we can FINALLY have easy poisoned weapons.

-Can we dump it in weapons and they will be covered or it just work if some creature throws that in them?

-Can we find a way to dwarves don't clean a particular sector so they get in contact with the poison?
(maybe we can train disease resistance with that?)

I begun this science in 42 something that i forgot right now because i am being distracted right now but couldn't finish because dwarves cleaned the stuff as fast as i could see they grabbing the barrel. savescummed several times but i always got amazed by something else. i was about to create a third weapon stockpile far far away from the path of dwarves but since then i didn't had time.

Okay, i had the time but i am a mess.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 07:57:39 am »

It might be interesting to attempt using the barrels to contaminate a pool of water, a kind of 'reverse bathtub', where we coat invaders in a coating of "water laced with FOO", then subject them to minor lacerations using normal traps.

say a 3/7 depth corridor filled with the stuff they must path through, before hitting the giant rotating discs.

I have heard that you can dump the contents of the barrels on the ground using the dump command.

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 01:04:43 pm »

It might be interesting to attempt using the barrels to contaminate a pool of water, a kind of 'reverse bathtub', where we coat invaders in a coating of "water laced with FOO", then subject them to minor lacerations using normal traps.

say a 3/7 depth corridor filled with the stuff they must path through, before hitting the giant rotating discs.

I have heard that you can dump the contents of the barrels on the ground using the dump command.
No, you can't just dump it. You have to forbid the content of barrels, and then move barrels to trade depot when the caravan will come. I remember that worked with gnomeblight (some years ago I've done some experimenting on gnomes), but it seems that venom from barrels is completely useless (It will never cover weapons or bolts). Not sure about contaminating water though.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 01:46:57 pm »

Can we use this thread to post our SCIENCE findings?

I recently discovered that zombies make excellent targets for marksdwarf practice, since they can take enormous amounts of piercing damage without much complaint. I've created a 23x11 room, split by a 7-unit wide ravine in the middle. The ravine is 3 floors deep and all of it's walls are smoothed, meaning monsters and dwarves can't jump over it, can't climb up from it, and can't climb down into it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On one side I've placed an armor stand and set it up as a training room for my marksdwarves. On the other side is a cage with a zombie. Once the zombie is released, marksdwarves may come and go as they please (meaning they can leave to get more ammo, or do other non-murder things if they feel like it) but eventually come back for "combat practice", see the zombie, and start shooting it, gaining Marksdwarf and Archer skills pretty quickly.

The zombie eventually expires, but not before giving your dwarves several levels of both skills.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 03:52:21 pm »

I have an idea; could you research the pumping speed of screw pumps? I need it for a new project, and I don't think the wiki mentions it.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 10:01:39 pm »

Proposed Science:

Dwarves burrowed into a sealed room with plenty of food and drink and mugs. Both compatible but do not know each other before being sealed in. Preferably already having mooded. Preferably a room with Masterwork everything and Masterwork engravings. Possibly a single-tile library/temple for good thoughts.

Control group with nothing but the room, bed(s), stockpile.

Experimental Group 1: Add a Tavern painted over their burrow.

Experimental Group 2: Tavern, both dwarves are performers

Experimental Group 3: Tavern, 1 Tavern Keeper, 1 Performer

Further experiments could be conducted with one of the dwarves not being assigned to the Tavern, and the other being a Performer or Tavern Keeper
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:05:43 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Error 404

• Bay Watcher
  • This account cannot be found
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 04:32:23 am »

Proposed Science

I want to test the blast radii of different Doberman devices.

Ill probably measure them by three things

Cats (c), Blast range (Br) and Framerate Drop (Fd)
*Error 404 is struck by a Strange Mood*

*Error 404 has claimed a NASA Supercomputer*

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 05:37:32 pm »

Could magma be pressurized through magma piston application? Dig your pressure test shaft maybe about half way down the magma piston room, calculate the displaced fluid based on size of magma piston and ensure the amount is greater than a "typical" magma piston room has available in excess space around the piston. This excess fluid would theoretically, having no place to go except out, shoot through the shaft.
  • When it comes out the other side would it make a 90° turn upward if walls constrained it?
  • Would it spread out immediately if the opening was clear on all sides?
  • Would it shoot straight out several tiles before spilling in all directions?
  • Could it make multiple twists and turns in an effort to displace all the fluid?

Maybe try with water? That might be difficult due to the lack of huge water seas underground (you'd have to construct a giant test chamber and piston to do this, or I suppose do it on a small scale... but where's the fun in that  :P)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 03:51:37 pm »

I don't think you could even make a magma pump around corners, given the way it operates. You could probably use cheats to force some magma to do this, but it'd be hard.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 11:25:50 pm »

The diagonal flow is the killer on pressure. You can get cardinal flow if your pipe is 2 tiles wide or wider, which will have pressure.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 04:24:31 pm »

Social Science

1. What are the efficient steps to encourage couples to get married and produce kids as soon as possible?

2. Are there any science done on couples having specific traits, such as "values knowledge" or "curious to learn" that passes onto their kids?

3. Will a married couple in the military that are buffed to the max in strength attribute, for example, have kids that will have high strength?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 04:39:07 pm »

Could magma be pressurized through magma piston application? Dig your pressure test shaft maybe about half way down the magma piston room, calculate the displaced fluid based on size of magma piston and ensure the amount is greater than a "typical" magma piston room has available in excess space around the piston.

I don't think the magma piston works the way you are thinking.  The piston essentially lands on magma and by quirk, teleports the magma it lands upon to the tiles at the very top of the piston.  The space "around" the piston has no magma at all, unless you incorrectly prepared the "catchment" at the top, in which case the teleported magma may now be leaking down the sides of the shaft.  That space around the piston is simply there to ensure lack of support so it will drop. 

I suspect the magma piston would work just fine in water, under the same teleporting principle.

Bottom line, 'pressure' is not involved with the magma piston.  The piston name is an accurate assessment of how it looks, but not how it works.  Actual operation is more akin to a magician's trick where he taps a coin on one side of his hand, and it magically appears on the other.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 05:54:50 pm »

Well that is sad to hear, but makes sense. I've only attempted a magma piston once and it resulted in my computer crashing several times, therefore never actually working.
Pages: 1 [2] 3