Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarven !!SCIENCE!! Think Tank  (Read 5533 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven !!SCIENCE!! Think Tank
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 03:48:13 am »

Social Science

1. What are the efficient steps to encourage couples to get married and produce kids as soon as possible?

2. Are there any science done on couples having specific traits, such as "values knowledge" or "curious to learn" that passes onto their kids?

3. Will a married couple in the military that are buffed to the max in strength attribute, for example, have kids that will have high strength?

I did some preliminary research into #2 at one point.  There was no real correlation between the stats of the parents, and the stats of the offspring. It was entirely derived from a weighting algorithm that is hard-set against the racial averages, not against the parents, which means you cannot push the equilibrium through selection.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 05:21:01 am »

Social Science

1. What are the efficient steps to encourage couples to get married and produce kids as soon as possible?

2. Are there any science done on couples having specific traits, such as "values knowledge" or "curious to learn" that passes onto their kids?

3. Will a married couple in the military that are buffed to the max in strength attribute, for example, have kids that will have high strength?

I did some preliminary research into #2 at one point.  There was no real correlation between the stats of the parents, and the stats of the offspring. It was entirely derived from a weighting algorithm that is hard-set against the racial averages, not against the parents, which means you cannot push the equilibrium through selection.

I also did some experiments on #3 in one of the Child Care forts. The offspring tended to be more or less average, even when the parents were some of the strongest, hugest dwarves to ever strike the earth.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 03:47:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's too bad.  Next, I was wondering to what extent (values knowledge) from books by those authors with specific traits can influence a large portion of the population/civ.

I also did some experiments on #3 in one of the Child Care forts. The offspring tended to be more or less average, even when the parents were some of the strongest, hugest dwarves to ever strike the earth.

Those Child Care Forts was cutting edge science.  How are they now since the introduction of toys?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 05:13:01 pm »

Those Child Care Forts was cutting edge science.  How are they now since the introduction of toys?

Like good kids they always put their toys away before they have class with monsters, but they do carry around things like rock sceptres and figurines. Some of those have seen quite a lot of use as weapons.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

LethalShade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 09:06:52 am »

Alright, time to propose a couple things that I will try to study in my current fortress :

1) Dwarven child care with bugged undead limbs (those that constantly come back to life only to be killed in one hit). They should stay dead long enough for the kid to drink and/or eat and might get a couple of bruising hits if they're from a small enough creature.
It only works in a reanimating biome though.

2) Effectiveness and use of biological weapons, using deadly spittle, dust, and evil clouds. As the evil cloud near my fortress doesn't produce any contaminant, I will try getting an adventurer thralled in another biome before bringing him back to the fort, acting as a dust carrier.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 11:23:23 am »

Proposal for cryogenic preservation. Caged creatures frozen in ice. I once had a weird thing with caged wild elk, and an aquifer. I believe the caged creatures survived the freezing process, but I was unable to retrieve the specimens. 

They remained in the list of animals, so I don't think they died.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2017, 05:59:33 am »

Proposal for cryogenic preservation. Caged creatures frozen in ice. I once had a weird thing with caged wild elk, and an aquifer. I believe the caged creatures survived the freezing process, but I was unable to retrieve the specimens. 

They can probably still starve and age. Cages are like pocket dimensions, so it's more like they're in a cage that's surrounded by solid ice.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2017, 04:57:06 pm »

They can probably still starve and age. Cages are like pocket dimensions, so it's more like they're in a cage that's surrounded by solid ice.
I have an idea! Goblin in a cage. Ice the cage, and now they are cryogenically preserved.
If they are a citizen, they can last forever.

Unless the ice gets !!heated!!.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 12:28:14 am »

Do caged citizens allow your fort to survive?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 07:57:15 am »

Do caged citizens allow your fort to survive?

That is the point of scientific research.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2017, 07:54:55 pm »

After I posited a theory regarding site borders and obsidian, steel jackal was kind enough to run an experiment that bore excellent preliminary results: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163983.0
Pages: 1 2 [3]