Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking via adventurer  (Read 1442 times)

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
Embarking via adventurer
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:33:04 am »

I only put an ounce of thought into this and I haven't checked the devlog in a while so...e.g. starting as a dwarf in adventurer mode, rounding up the local carpenters/masons/whatever. Stock up on provisions and embark stuff oregon trail style. Making the journey, camping, fending off bandits, meeting traders, hunting, stopping at different villages or towns, etc. Once you get where you want, you claim the site, then -yeah I know it doesn't exist yet but- switch to fortress mode aaaaand done.

Any thoughts?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking via adventurer
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 04:21:00 am »

You can gather buddies and build sites in Adventurer now. The only thing you can't do is select to play them in Fortress mode (because they're not Dwarf Fortresses). You can however embark a Fortress over an Adventurer site. Your adventurers will all be hanging out there too (probably buggily marked 'hostile').

In other words it's very nearly at this point already. Just a few more mechanics and bug cleaning needed.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 07:57:53 am »

This idea is probably way too easy to implement, all we do is set up an adventurer camp along the lines of what we have already and then give us the option of declaring ourselves a dwarf fortress.  Our adventurers become the initial embark dwarves, migrant waves will arrive, all buildings/furniture/items already in will appear in the fortress.

The basic problem is that it provides a rather laborious way round the embark limit.  That is because the patchiness, buggyness and general extreme brokenness of the adventure mode economy at present means that all that you have to do to get near infinite quantities of everything you only have to walk.  Folks in sites freely allow you to claim some items even while selling the same items to you for a high price, even if the items are inferior to the items they are giving away for free.  Sources of natural resources like for instance herbs are infinite, you can collect infinite amounts of lettuce from a single lettuce plant that happens to be growing on the ground, same with a lettuce growing in somebody's garden.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 08:07:20 am »

This idea is probably way too easy to implement, all we do is set up an adventurer camp along the lines of what we have already and then give us the option of declaring ourselves a dwarf fortress.  Our adventurers become the initial embark dwarves, migrant waves will arrive, all buildings/furniture/items already in will appear in the fortress.

The basic problem is that it provides a rather laborious way round the embark limit.  That is because the patchiness, buggyness and general extreme brokenness of the adventure mode economy at present means that all that you have to do to get near infinite quantities of everything you only have to walk.  Folks in sites freely allow you to claim some items even while selling the same items to you for a high price, even if the items are inferior to the items they are giving away for free.  Sources of natural resources like for instance herbs are infinite, you can collect infinite amounts of lettuce from a single lettuce plant that happens to be growing on the ground, same with a lettuce growing in somebody's garden.
Well yeah, fix the bugs and add a working economy first, sure. It's not like that's not planned.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 07:44:25 am »

Well yeah, fix the bugs and add a working economy first, sure. It's not like that's not planned.

That is not actually the sole problem.  The other *big* problem is the time frame between fortress mode and adventure mode, which means adventure mode will due to hauling time differences be more productive than fortress mode, even with a proper economy.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 05:49:46 pm »

Funny you should bring that up, it's the main reason I wrote this post. I've been thinking about the portal issue and how much it will change the dynamics of the game once resolved. I don't think there is going to be a time overhaul anytime soon, along with a many other things such as disabling traps in adventurer mode, etc. My main thought was starting out on a quest given to you by a lord or something to go colonize a place and so on and so forth, you get there, then there could be a "Start a Fortress" option, in the retire screen. Adding on to that, maybe have a slightly modified embark screen with whomever and whatever you have with you.

It would be neat if it was a seamlessly integrated part of the game, being, no switch whatsoever, but I can see something like this kind of working for now. e.g. when you broke into candyland the fun was simply a statement and your fortress was to be explored via adventurer, but now clowns come out to play, and I think it was well integrated. That being said, there weren't the same issues, but, I was thinking more terms of how having this kind of system set up could have an impact in the late gameplay. Such as, starting a character to make their family to start their own nation eventually and bring glory over generations of expansion.

Plus the journey for the embark spot could be fun!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 06:07:48 pm »

Toady's dreams of ship adventurers would probably require an overhaul of time in the outside world. You're not going to have much of an adventure or the excitement of 'playing a fortress, but moving!' if the world can be spanned in a week (with stop-off's for burning forest retreats and such). That's all quite a way into the future though.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 05:59:17 am »

Toady's dreams of ship adventurers would probably require an overhaul of time in the outside world. You're not going to have much of an adventure or the excitement of 'playing a fortress, but moving!' if the world can be spanned in a week (with stop-off's for burning forest retreats and such). That's all quite a way into the future though.

Not really thinking about the time overhaul issue at present. More like, starting a fortress as it is but having the capability to experience the caravan's embark journey via adventurer...which I can honestly see how sailing could tie in, now that I really think about it. But, yeah, I guess I'm just brainstorming how journey to x from y could be interpreted.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:06:15 am by clockwork »

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 12:31:04 pm »

The devs stubbornly clinging to the concept of having different timeframes for both modes is one of the main nooses around their necks.  All they have to do to fix it is slow down walking speeds (so a journey of a day at the moment in adventure mode is actually about a week), get rid of automatic invincible bogeyman attacks and make food items lighter so adventurers do not starve to death.  Then they can simply unify the time frames of both modes by making adventure mode simply fortress mode played at the lowest framerate.  To do fighting and stuff the fortress mode player slows down to adventure mode but normally he just watches them move about at high-speed doing regular work stuff.