Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stealth RL ideas?  (Read 1878 times)

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth RL ideas?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 11:57:49 am »

Looks neat. Small bug, though, when moving diagonally, you can actually pass through boxes if you hit their corners (I suspect you check for collisions in the pressed cardinal directions, but not diagonal)

Xaron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 02:19:47 pm »

HA! You're right, thanks for that. Will be fixed in the next build.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 10:42:41 am »

About pressure: Actually I like games where you're not that pressured at all. Might because of my tiny roguelike background and liking of strategy games where you have time to think before making a decision.
Hm. Make it a difficulty level thing, then. Easy: can pause time at will. Medium: can slow down time at will, but pause is only available via Mod. Hard: Neither are available, only available through Mods. Or something like that.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 03:40:12 pm »

Love the idea - a proper stealth RL hasn't really been done and as mentioned sci-fi RLs are sorely needed.

I can imagine a mini-game loop like this:
- Ping the world to see walls and enemies in a distance. Those in the region will get alerted and start moving after the source point of the ping (slight chance they won't).
- Walking makes a sound, so they'll pick up on you if you get too close.
- Using battery you can muffle your steps or, using more drain, completely silence them.
- Battery pickups in places.
- Get through the level without being caught.

The enemies would go to the source location of the ping, so you'd have to sort of predict their routes and work out the best time to muffle your footsteps.

It's a simple game loop that would be tons of fun. You could expand on that easily by implementing the need to pick up keys/press buttons (and then stuff like fighting, hacking etc.), but it'd be fun just as it is.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Xaron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 02:15:32 am »

Thanks guys! Much appreciated! :) I had no time the last days but next steps will be two prototypes with some enemies, one will be real time and one will be turn based to just test what would "feel" better to play. I'm still not really sure which way to go in that regard.

aDwarfNamedUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 05:25:20 pm »

Just had an idea about pausing. Perhaps you could have a system where when you hit the pause button it pauses time but after some amount of time time slowly speeds up to normal speed, maybe also based on movement.
Long Live The !!sand pear wood throne!!

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 07:57:48 pm »

A quick suggestion: perhaps you could have the background static be removed in areas that you ping, but then have it return slowly (and also have walls completely fade after a dozen or so seconds of no ping).

Alright, now I have to get back to my own programming project :P
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 08:08:09 pm »

A few ideas for goals

1: just get to point A without dying/being caught (in this case being caught should equal instant death)
2: Assassinate a target (get close to a certain target without being caught)
3: if you are feeling up to it, you could make a whole dungeon crawler with levels, loot, upgrades, and harder baddies as you go. Perhapse with the goal of reaching the "surface".
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 08:14:35 pm »

Like this idea. Maybe the player character is some spooky agent/soldier/whoever but starts the game injured and blind. Boat hit a naval mine in the fog or hit with shrapnel and he just has his 3rd rate sonar device he had to click around to see.

Might be a cool gameplay mechanic, instead of 'Let's explore and grab loot and level up!' You start the game seriously injured, bleeding out and totally blind besides the sonar pinger and your  just trying to find a way to survive.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 08:28:09 pm »

Very neat idea. Maybe a little less static-y in the background? It's very distracting and obnoxious. Though maybe it's just cause I don't like oppressive atmospheres as much. Keep the permanent walls, I'd say. You know where they are, and your programmed brain won't forget....but then on harder levels and difficulties, the walls might occasionally move a little.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 [2]