Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dungeon Race: Goria Thread (Need More Players!)  (Read 5328 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon Race: Goria Thread (Need More Players!)
« on: March 22, 2017, 11:21:06 am »

For hundreds of years Goria and Vunico have hated eachother. Each country desires the land, resources, and riches that the other possesses, so much so that they'd gladly kill the other. Unfortunately for these sworn enemies, trecherous seas and impassible mountains have kept them apart. No army could possibly cross the rough mountains, the terrain is too steep and rough, and the ancient dwarven traps and indigenous monsters don't make it any easier. The sea isn't any better either. Rocks seem to move into the paths of boats, and monstrous leviathans swallow ships whole. Indeed, there is no way your glorious army could reach the cowardly Vunicos hiding across the mountain range. But now thats all changed. An entrance to a vast underground dungeon has been discover. Its tunnels stretch deep into Gorian territory. Finally, the righteous nation of Goria will defeat those evil Vunicos and claim the north.

You are the righteous and proud people of Goria. The Goria soldiers are well suited to the wide open plains and deserts of their homeland. Your armies are seemingly endless numbers of nomads, tribesmen, and various other men and women of the plains. Each armed with a wicked curved sickle and a hide shield, they march into battle behind falcata wielding officers riding dragalos. Your army has only begun formal training in the last few months, but almost all of your recruits have spent their lives hunting the wild plains and fending off bandits. A very small portion of your soldiers are proficient with the atlatl, a wooden dart throwing device. More deadly than any arrow or spear, these atlatlers are an elite force, capable of killing the south's largest and most dangerous beasts, the dragalo. Some captured dragalo have been trained as war beasts and are capable of roasting a man alive while charging full speed into battle. Your army may be new, but the fiery passion of patriotism burns in their hearts.

To play for this glorious side, post here.  You can only play for either Vunico or Goria, so choose wisely.  Out of respect for the other team, stay out of their thread.  Post banter and such in the core thread.

To begin with, players should vote on which boss monster and set of minor monsters they'd like to begin with.

To play, during the Design Phase either post a design for a new item or summons, or quote someone else's design and add a +1.  You can only design or support one design, so if you change your mind go back and strike out your earlier post to make my life easier when totting up votes.

Spoiler: State of Relt, 512 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:16:37 pm by Roboson »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Race: Goria Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 11:28:25 am »

For Goria!

Slime Summoning Circle, because we can evolve slimes to jelly.
Jelly is much more useful than you think...

King Slime, for fairly obvious reasons(see above).
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:13:13 pm »

GLORY TO GORIA!!!

Anyways, I recommend the
Undead Summoning Circle , because controlling a undead horde is always powerful and their a lot of variation between undead monsters
Ice Wyrm as well because having a death-freezing dragon on our side will of course be really effective

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 02:15:48 pm »

LONG LIVE GORIA!

I vote for
Slime Summoning Circle Because acid melts bones.
Ice Wyrm Because having too much slime is a bad thing.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:59:25 pm »

ptw
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 04:35:16 pm »

Goria's dungeon entrance has a summoning chamber. There are several notes nearby explaining how to summon various slimes. Through trial and error you manage to get the ancient device up and running and producing slimes loyal to their summoner. An ancient ledger is discovered among the notes. It contains much more intricate and complex notes and procedures for summoning a giant ice wyrm! Those Vunico bastards are going to discover the true meaning of cold! Several maps of the dungeon are discovered as well. There are four major routes your army could take to make it to Vunico: The boiler wing, the frozen tunnels, the expanse, and the mushroom caverns. Knowing that the enemy may have gained access to the dungeon, your king distributes the troops evenly.

In the Boiler Wing, the two nations have come to a complete standoff. The tangle of pipes, boilers, and other machinery provide numerous opportunities on both sides for ambush. Goria losses multiple slime knights and soldiers to mechanical spiders who can navigate the labyrinth with ease. However, Vunico manages to ambush the Gorian forces several times as well. Their brogs were especially deadly here. The heat of the area has a negative effect on the Vunico infantry, but the Gorians are right at home in the heat. The two armies soon come into full combat, and no clear winner could be determined. The slime mages provided great support for the Gorian infantry, but the Vunico flying swords evened out the combat. Neither the flying slimes nor the magic carpets were able to be used to full effect in these close quarters. However, the arrival of a terrifying ice drake for the Gorians tipped the scales. Its icy breath froze the humid air and wet Vunicans, its claws and teeth ripped them to shreds, and the Gorians made decent gains in this area.

The mushroom caverns were a similar situation. Ambushes of flying slimes and mechanical spiders made the multi-leveled skirmishes fairly even. Both sides won and lost fairly evenly in the skirmishes. When the full melee broke out, Goria's number proved incredibly difficult to deal with, especially so because the Vunico army had incredibly difficulty actually getting to the fighting as they were bombarded by giant balls of slime that was somehow both slippery and sticky at the same time. Infantry aboard flying combat were able to fly over this inconvenience, but not enough men could be transported to gain an advantage. Gorian numbers really did give them an advantage here, but thanks to a fair amount of luck on the Vunico side, the Gorian army only made small gains.

The expanse was yet another close call. Ambushes and surprise is incredibly difficult to accomplish here. Small skirmishes erupt, giving Goria an advantage before the full melee began. The full strength of the Gorian horde was brought to force here, and everything seemed to be lost for the Vunicos. Large darts skewed men trapped in slime, and dragalos roasted infantry alive. All seemed lost until the rival of a terrify demonic commander. The demon was covered in black armor and engulfed in sickly green flames. The eyes of the Vunico men around him began to glow green and they fought with renewed strength and ferocity. This terrifying arrival managed to rebuff the advancing Gorians. Neither side made any gains.

The frozen tunnels were a completely different story. Vunico managed to lead several successful ambushes against the freezing Gorian army. Slimes and Gorian soldiers were slaughtered left and right.   When the actual fighting began, Goria was already at a severe disadvantage. This was made even worse by the close quarters of the icy tunnels, which made men easy targets for spiders who could move along the ceiling of the tunnels. The Vunico enchanted swords danced through the air, cutting through many in the close quarters. The flying slimes had great difficulty navigating the low ceilings and the enemy weaponry simultaneously. Vunico managed to force the Gorian forces to rout. The rout was successful, largely due to slime mages making it very difficult to follow the fleeing men through the close tunnels.

Your slimes are providing incredible support to your infantrymen. The slime knights are almost as a fully grown man, but their teardrop shaped mounts give them an edge in agility. The flying slimes terrorize the enemy, their long tentacles causing incredibly painful stings, even through the enemy armor. And your slime mages provide an incredibly zoning advantage. However, the enemy seems to simply have stronger better equipped soldiers, and mechanical spiders that can utilize terrain to a much greater degree than any other unit. Not to mention some of the enemy's weapons fight without a soldier wielding them. In light of this, your king has decided to lend more forces to fight in the frozen tunnels.

Spoiler: State of Relt, 513 (click to show/hide)

It is now a design phase. The year is 513.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:44:04 pm by Roboson »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:42:23 pm »

I have two ideas to defeat these Vunican fiends!

We have access to an extremely expensive Ice Wyrm, so why not get Ice Wyrmlings?, having a swarm of baby ice lizards would be great to combine in cold under dark areas we are fighting in. Anyways we should develop a...
Icicle Wyrmling: Instead of having a swarm of wyrmlings that spread an icy mist from their mouths for that close-range effectiveness, how about we complement our Slime Wizards with icy wyrmlings that shoots long-range ice shards and icicles at our enemies. This will increase our effectiveness longer ranges.

Also, theirs that conception that large slimes monsters that upon death turn into smaller slimes. So how about the Elephant Slime/Ooze, this slime as the name says will have the size of a generic elephant but when this slime takes enough impact or damage that it would normally ooze out and "die". It instead splits up the larger slime in separate smaller slimes, so that it turns into grouping of several small slimes that will help fight for us. This will give us a tank for the melee combat in these areas.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:41:34 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 06:55:48 pm »

Also, theirs that conception that large slimes monsters that upon death turn into smaller slimes. So how about the Elephant Slime/Ooze, this slime as the name says will have the size of a generic elephant but when this slime takes enough impact of damage that it would normally ooze out. It instead makes the larger slimes turns into grouping of several small slimes that will help fight for us. This will give us a tank for the melee combat in these areas.
+1 to this.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 12:55:09 am »

Roboson, Is it me or does the Glorious Gorian Empire! kind of lacking in department in that we require more researchers/players when compared to the treacherous Vunicians, I mean we're going to need more than two researchers to fight against the Vunicans.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 01:00:45 am »

Roboson, Is it me or does the Glorious Gorian Empire! kind of lacking in department in that we require more researchers/players when compared to the treacherous Vunicians, I mean we're going to need more than two researchers to fight against the Vunicans.

Yeah I had noticed that. I was hoping more people would jump in for this design phase, but it seems everyone is flocking to those Vunico bastards! (I think within each thread I'm perfectly allowed to hate the other thread). Hopefully you all pick up another brave soul in the next few hours. Otherwise it looks like its you two verses an army...

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 01:01:34 am »

I have two ideas to defeat these Vunican fiends!

We have access to an extremely expensive Ice Wyrm, so why not get Ice Wyrmlings?, having a swarm of baby ice lizards would be great to combine in cold under dark areas we are fighting in. Anyways we should develop a...
Icicle Wyrmling: Instead of having a swarm of wyrmlings that spread an icy mist from their mouths for that close-range effectiveness, how about we complement our Slime Wizards with icy wyrmlings that shoots long-range ice shards and icicles at our enemies. This will increase our effectiveness longer ranges.

Also, theirs that conception that large slimes monsters that upon death turn into smaller slimes. So how about the Elephant Slime/Ooze, this slime as the name says will have the size of a generic elephant but when this slime takes enough impact or damage that it would normally ooze out and "die". It instead splits up the larger slime in separate smaller slimes, so that it turns into grouping of several small slimes that will help fight for us. This will give us a tank for the melee combat in these areas.
+1 to both.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:45 am »

You can only vote for one proposal for turn, as your team can only design one thing per turn.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 01:10:02 am »

You can only vote for one proposal for turn, as your team can only design one thing per turn.
I think we're just going to go for Elephant Slimes this round and Icicle Wyrmlings probably next round, I forget to ask are you going to do those contest things that reward Revision and Expense Credit for this Arms game?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 02:25:10 am »

I think we're just going to go for Elephant Slimes this round and Icicle Wyrmlings probably next round, I forget to ask are you going to do those contest things that reward Revision and Expense Credit for this Arms game?

Yes, and also some other twists  ;)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 02:31:43 am »

I vote for the ice wyrmlings.

Also, a proposal for later:

Burrowing Slimes: These highly corrosive slimes can dig tunnels even through solid stone. We can use them to, after many turns, bypass the dungeon entirely and strike at the heart of Vunica.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5