Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Dungeon Race: Vunico Thread  (Read 8684 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon Race: Vunico Thread
« on: March 22, 2017, 11:37:22 am »

For hundreds of years Goria and Vunico have hated eachother. Each country desires the land, resources, and riches that the other possesses, so much so that they'd gladly kill the other. Unfortunately for these sworn enemies, trecherous seas and impassible mountains have kept them apart. No army could possibly cross the rough mountains, the terrain is too steep and rough, and the ancient dwarven traps and indigenous monsters don't make it any easier. The sea isn't any better either. Rocks seem to move into the paths of boats, and monstrous leviathans swallow ships whole. Indeed, there is no way your glorious army could reach the cowardly Gorians hiding across the mountain range. But now thats all changed. An entrance to a vast underground dungeon has been discover. Its tunnels stretch deep into Gorian territory. Finally, the righteous nation of Vunico will defeat those evil Gorians and claim the south.

You belong to the northern nation of Vunico. Your nation is strong, proud, and once again united after a small civil rebellion. The men and women of Vunico are perfectly adapted to life north of the mountains. They are used to the intricate forests and frozen tundras of their homelands. Now your army marches into the dungeon, wielding wooden shields and axes, ready to lay waste to the Gorian horde. Your army is well trained and disciplined, having defeated insurrections in the past. Recently brogs have been captured and added to your army as war beasts. A fair number of your soldiers are skilled in the crossbow and provide support to your main fighters. Your army will use its strength, experience, and loyalty to the crown to take the dungeon and lay waste to Goria.

To play for this glorious side, post here.  You can only play for either Vunico or Goria, so choose wisely.  Out of respect for the other team, stay out of their thread.  Post banter and such in the core thread.

To begin with, players should vote on which boss monster and set of minor monsters they'd like to begin with.

To play, during the Design Phase either post a design for a new item or summons, or quote someone else's design and add a +1.  You can only design or support one design, so if you change your mind go back and strike out your earlier post to make my life easier when totting up votes.

Spoiler: State of Relt, 512 (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Race: Vunico Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 11:51:29 am »

Enchanted Summoning circle
Spider Queen

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:00:03 pm »

Undead
Fell Lord
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 09:11:02 pm »

As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 01:54:58 am »

Spider Queen
Gonna vote for this (+1), but will automatically change my vote to undead/fell if no one else chimes in by the time the GM is ready to go, to break the tie.

My reasoning is that enchanted weapons would work very well with our small elite forces. Plus mechanical spider friends. I always wanted to keep one of those as a pet in Skyrim.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:05:19 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 09:05:37 am »

Spider Queen
Gonna vote for this (+1), but will automatically change my vote to undead/fell if no one else chimes in by the time the GM is ready to go, to break the tie.

My reasoning is that enchanted weapons would work very well with our small elite forces. Plus mechanical spider friends. I always wanted to keep one of those as a pet in Skyrim.
+1

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 11:17:34 am »

Er those are enchanted as "fight on their own" not "+3 Against asses" besides that, who doesn't want to reverse engineer a demon?
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 11:21:46 am »

Er those are enchanted as "fight on their own" not "+3 Against asses" besides that, who doesn't want to reverse engineer a demon?
Yeah, I know. But I figure that school of magic will let us develop enchanted weapons of the immobile variety later on.
The demon/spider queen part, I don't care about as much. I suppose I could change my vote to
Enchantment Summoning Circle
Fell Lord

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 04:43:29 pm »

Vunico's dungeon entrance has a summoning chamber. There are several notes nearby explaining how to summon various enchanted objects. Through trial and error you manage to get the ancient device up and running and producing semi-sentient objects to fight beside your soldiers. An incredibly evil book is found locked in a small golden lockbox covered in holy symbols. It contains much more intricate and complex notes and procedures for summoning a demon commander! Those Vunico bastards are going to discover the true meaning of fear! Several maps of the dungeon are discovered as well. There are four major routes your army could take to make it to Vunico: The boiler wing, the frozen tunnels, the expanse, and the mushroom caverns. Knowing that the enemy may have gained access to the dungeon, your king distributes the troops evenly.

In the Boiler Wing, the two nations have come to a complete standoff. The tangle of pipes, boilers, and other machinery provide numerous opportunities on both sides for ambush. Goria losses multiple slime knights and soldiers to mechanical spiders who can navigate the labyrinth with ease. However, Vunico manages to ambush the Gorian forces several times as well. Their brogs were especially deadly here. The heat of the area has a negative effect on the Vunico infantry, but the Gorians are right at home in the heat. The two armies soon come into full combat, and no clear winner could be determined. The slime mages provided great support for the Gorian infantry, but the Vunico flying swords evened out the combat. Neither the flying slimes nor the magic carpets were able to be used to full effect in these close quarters. However, the arrival of a terrifying ice drake for the Gorians tipped the scales. Its icy breath froze the humid air and wet Vunicans, its claws and teeth ripped them to shreds, and the Gorians made decent gains in this area.

The mushroom caverns were a similar situation. Ambushes of flying slimes and mechanical spiders made the multi-leveled skirmishes fairly even. Both sides won and lost fairly evenly in the skirmishes. When the full melee broke out, Goria's number proved incredibly difficult to deal with, especially so because the Vunico army had incredibly difficulty actually getting to the fighting as they were bombarded by giant balls of slime that was somehow both slippery and sticky at the same time. Infantry aboard flying combat were able to fly over this inconvenience, but not enough men could be transported to gain an advantage. Gorian numbers really did give them an advantage here, but thanks to a fair amount of luck on the Vunico side, the Gorian army only made small gains.

The expanse was yet another close call. Ambushes and surprise is incredibly difficult to accomplish here. Small skirmishes erupt, giving Goria an advantage before the full melee began. The full strength of the Gorian horde was brought to force here, and everything seemed to be lost for the Vunicos. Large darts skewed men trapped in slime, and dragalos roasted infantry alive. All seemed lost until the rival of a terrify demonic commander. The demon was covered in black armor and engulfed in sickly green flames. The eyes of the Vunico men around him began to glow green and they fought with renewed strength and ferocity. This terrifying arrival managed to rebuff the advancing Gorians. Neither side made any gains.

The frozen tunnels were a completely different story. Vunico managed to lead several successful ambushes against the freezing Gorian army. Slimes and Gorian soldiers were slaughtered left and right.   When the actual fighting began, Goria was already at a severe disadvantage. This was made even worse by the close quarters of the icy tunnels, which made men easy targets for spiders who could move along the ceiling of the tunnels. The Vunico enchanted swords danced through the air, cutting through many in the close quarters. The flying slimes had great difficulty navigating the low ceilings and the enemy weaponry simultaneously. Vunico managed to force the Gorian forces to rout. The rout was successful, largely due to slime mages making it very difficult to follow the fleeing men through the close tunnels.

Your soldiers are finding it very easy to lay waste to the undisciplined and lightly trained Gorian soldiers. That is, when and if you can even reach to them. The enemy seems to have allied themselves with various sentient slimes, the most annoying of which are the slimes that shoot more slime. It makes moving your troops incredibly difficult, and gives the enemy a distinct advantage in controlling areas of the battlefield. Your magic carpets are capable of providing great support to your infantry, but are contantly pestered by flying slimes whose stings are cripplingly painful. Seeing the enemy's giant ice dragon as a terrible threat, your king has decided to bolster forces in the Boiler wing to prevent the enemy from successfully forcing a retreat.

Spoiler: State of Relt, 513 (click to show/hide)

It is now a design phase. The year is 513.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 04:52:59 pm »

Design : Sentient Shield

A magically enchanted shield that blocks ranged attacks, allowing our forces to close to the enemy.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 05:04:21 pm »

Okay. Well. Despite losing on almost every flank, we are actually ahead in terms of territory. So that's nice.

Anyway. We clearly need something that can get past slime. Flying carpets are good, but very expensive. Perhaps we should develop

Flying Spiders- The body of a mechanical spider, with four of the legs swapped out for rotors, and imbued with flight. Hopefully still quite cheap, and significantly harder to bog down- or slime down, as the case may be.

Alternatively, we could develop something completely different, something like

APCS (Armoured Personnel Carrier Spider)- A giant mechanical spider, the abdomen is hollow, with room for dozens* of troops to ride in. The behemoth barely notices a small patch of slime, and easily has the strength to pull free even if it did step in some. Hopefully no more than Very Expensive, it would allow our superior troops to reach the front lines unmolested.

On the other hand, that might still get stuck. I don't know how sticky the slime is. Also, it is basically just a bigger flying carpet. And may be of little use in the Frozen Tunnels and Boiler Wing.

A magically enchanted shield that blocks ranged attacks, allowing our forces to close to the enemy.
Actually, I think this is a good idea. Simple, but hopefully effective. +1

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 05:43:44 pm »

Okay. Well. Despite losing on almost every flank, we are actually ahead in terms of territory. So that's nice.

Anyway. We clearly need something that can get past slime. Flying carpets are good, but very expensive. Perhaps we should develop

Flying Spiders- The body of a mechanical spider, with four of the legs swapped out for rotors, and imbued with flight. Hopefully still quite cheap, and significantly harder to bog down- or slime down, as the case may be.

Alternatively, we could develop something completely different, something like

APCS (Armoured Personnel Carrier Spider)- A giant mechanical spider, the abdomen is hollow, with room for dozens* of troops to ride in. The behemoth barely notices a small patch of slime, and easily has the strength to pull free even if it did step in some. Hopefully no more than Very Expensive, it would allow our superior troops to reach the front lines unmolested.

On the other hand, that might still get stuck. I don't know how sticky the slime is. Also, it is basically just a bigger flying carpet. And may be of little use in the Frozen Tunnels and Boiler Wing.

Actually, I think this is a good idea. Simple, but hopefully effective. +1
+1
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 09:03:22 pm »

Seems good +1
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 09:31:20 pm »

Is this an "anyone can join" Arms Race? If so, I have a few thoughts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 09:37:35 pm »

Yes, anyone may join. But please don't look at the enemy team's thread now that you've joined this one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7