Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Dungeon Race: Vunico Thread  (Read 8761 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Race: Vunico Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 09:55:05 pm »

Of course, such is only fair and proper.

+1 to the Shield, though we should probably specify it as a specific material as we're currently operating with a lot of wood and fur materials.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 10:41:38 pm »

Somewhat of note: since we have Mechanical Spiders, We could create a Spider which Goes about and acts like a Necromancer would have had we gone with undead: Bringing them back to life and sending them back to the fight.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 10:49:28 pm »

With sufficient experimentation I don't see why we wouldn't be able to eventually do that here, though it would likely be more efficient to work with what we already have. Speaking of which, thoughts on Summoning Materials or Gear for our more standard troops?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 10:58:48 pm »

It sounds interesting, but I'm afraid it might be more expensive than it's worth. Summoning weapons out if thin air seems like a high-skill spell, and if would probably just be easier to deliver supplies the conventional way.

Something I could get behind is more enchanted weaponry. Self firing bows seem like something we should do
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 11:21:02 pm »

One thing we'll want to do is get Crossbow Spiders.

And agreed, equipment improvements for our soldiers should he on the agenda.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 12:13:13 am »

I feel that we need to get more ranged attacks, some aerial superiority plus keeping the enemy slime-lobbers honest.

To that end I present:
Brogtillery:
 A magically altered strain of brogs adjusted to be smaller(Just large enough to fit half a soldier in their mouth) but reproduce faster. Alter their tongue to be elongated with a hardened tooth on the end and a natural spell to spread their own energy at the end of a "lick" in an explosion and then rapidly draw it back, to effect a magical glue effect. Adapt and train their mouths to grab, crush, then eject whatever they catch with their tongues(as we can feed these domesticated ones manually they do not need natural eating instincts). Then amplify the frogginess of their feet, along with adding the suction effect from their tongues, to enhance their grip to well exceed that of a full-sized brog. And finally give them basic training to familiarise themselves with Vuncian smells and mannerisms to avoid friendly fire and also train them to be directed to attack or avoid specific targets.
These will function to lance, injure, and deposit enemy forces. They will have limited use against more powerful foes, although their enchantment should allow them to stick to most things and in large numbers with a coordinated strike they could potentially pull a wyrm to the ground, before being promptly frozen...

Also, Brogs do not have a listed cost...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 02:56:36 pm »

Design: Sentient Shield - Expensive

[18,14,3!] (I only had a d20 on hand when I did the initial rolls, so everything is in d20).

You manage, after great experimentation and numerous trials, to create a magical shield that moves on its own. Its a wooden shield, as are all of your shields, and it is fairly great at deflecting blows and arrows alike. All and all, when it works properly, its as if soldiers near the shields have two shields to protect them instead of one. The issue is that it does not always work properly. After taking a couple hits, the shields seem to become enraged (and if you think that a faceless shield cannot express rage, you simply have no idea) and begin attacking the enemy soldiers. This enraged shield onslaught actually injured several apprentice summoners and the soldiers that were assigned to test the shields, but this was most likely do to surprise and a lack of armor and almost definitely wouldn't do much damage against enemy soldiers in the heat of battle.

It is now the revision phase for 513.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 03:01:47 pm »

Okay, do we make them tame or do we put metal spikes on the shields?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 03:08:53 pm »

The main question is, can it block slime balls being thrown at us?

We can only hope, I suppose.

Okay, do we make them tame or do we put metal spikes on the shields?
We already have enchanted weapons to serve the role of autonomous hovering kill-thingies. We don't need more.
Thus, we should revise the shields to not become enraged (so quickly)
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 03:15:16 pm »

I think we don't do anything.

Slimes aren't known to be smart. The attacking shields will distract them just as well as the defending shields. I mean, their slime wizards are very rare, after all.

Revision: Larger carpets.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 03:39:16 pm »

Actually, yeah, larger carpets would be good too. I guess we know that will be useful. We can see how bad the shields going nuts is, and maybe revise them next year if necessary.
+1
Long Live United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 04:32:38 pm »

The point of the shield is to act as active ranged defense though, so my vote is for Taming the Shield which leaves S34N1C the deciding vote I believe.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 04:53:26 pm »

The point of the shield is to act as active ranged defense though, so my vote is for Taming the Shield which leaves S34N1C the deciding vote I believe.
::)

+1, personally would have opted for cheaper carpets but larger is probaly better.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 04:54:35 pm »

Idea for next design phase, because I always miss them...

Flamebolts: These are technically monsters, but their only ability is to burst into flames. They appear in piles and must be carried into battle by our crossbowmen. The flames largely overcome the shortcomings of piercing attacks against gelatinous bodies, the summoned bolts reduce logistical issues, and them being monsters allows them to burn enemies who touch them or materials that they land upon. This would be pretty bad for slimes who are ill equipped to destroy hard little metal bolts which don't offer much leverage and are constantly burning them. Enemy soldiers could bend them to death with a good stamp, but having to watch the floor is an unwelcome distraction on the battlefield and letting an angry bolt destroy your shoes and burn your feet is a great loss of combat ability.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2017, 04:56:24 pm »

Larger Carpets.

and Yes, the being Violent may sound bad Now, but they will Seem like Berzerkers when we eventually Get them Spiked, because who Expects a Shield to Attack them?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7