Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Dungeon Race: Vunico Thread  (Read 8771 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Race: Vunico Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2017, 11:35:19 am »

Sentient Plate: Taking the idea further, what if we were able to directly Summon additional armored troops into the battlefield to stand side by side with our soldiers? These suits of plate armor would allow our soldiers to focus on tasks that are best suited to a living mind while bolstering our forces across all fronts.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2017, 11:39:09 am »

Sentient Plate: Taking the idea further, what if we were able to directly Summon additional armored troops into the battlefield to stand side by side with our soldiers? These suits of plate armor would allow our soldiers to focus on tasks that are best suited to a living mind while bolstering our forces across all fronts.
Sounds hella expensive. Besides, why do we need the body if we have the part that matters- the weapons?
Also, that sounds like an excellent thing to get stuck in slime.
Long Live United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2017, 11:41:36 am »

Fair points. A smarter thing would be Sentient Daggers, which would basically be less expensive and possibly faster Sentient Swords. I'll +1 Flamebolts then due to the utility of them assuming we roll well.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2017, 12:15:44 pm »

ptw
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2017, 03:13:09 pm »

More design time? Sure, why not.

Back to my firebolts idea...

Flamebolts: These are technically monsters, but their only action is to burst into flames. They appear in piles and must be carried into battle by others (typically crossbowmen). The flames largely overcome the shortcomings of piercing attacks against gelatinous bodies, the summoned bolts reduce logistical issues, and them being monsters allows them to burn enemies who touch them or materials that they land upon. This would be pretty bad for slimes who are ill equipped to destroy hard little metal bolts which don't offer much leverage and are constantly burning them. Enemy soldiers could bend them to death with a good stamp, but having to watch the floor is an unwelcome distraction on the battlefield and letting an angry bolt destroy your shoes and burn your feet is a great loss of combat ability.
I like this. I was going to suggest explosive crossbow bolts myself, for the same reason- piercing damage doesn't kill slimes, but fire damage should.
I think we should focus on making them cheap, so that they can be widely deployed- so maybe just make them burst into flame on impact with anything, rather than imbuing them with a degree of sentience?
Other than that, +1
I absolutely agree with you, cheap is good. I am thinking that sentient(in an animalistic way) is in tune with them being summoned from the portals as monsters, but whatever is cheapest sounds good.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2017, 03:40:00 pm »

Design- Flame bolts

[3, 18, 9] You have a stroke of terrible luck in designing these poor little guys. I mean really, you find it incredibly hard to get this spell to work for some reason. Its not the mana cost, because these would be incredibly cheap and easy to make. And there aren't really any bugs in the spell either that would cause random things like shields pretending to be swords. The problem is more that you can't scale down the intelligence level far enough for this design. You end up with bolts that are too intelligent to let you fire them to their death! The little bastards do their best to fight against your archers every step of the way, even going so far as to burst into flames while on your crossbows! Really annoying little buggers.

Revision phase 514

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2017, 03:58:48 pm »

Revision: Convince the Flamebolts that there is glory and honour in dying for one's country.

Or just lower their intelligence.

Same difference, really.
Long Live United Forenia!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2017, 06:19:57 pm »

Revision Fire-resistant crossbowmen
Metal strings, long levers to quickly rewind their bows, rigid stone covers to hold the bolts, add a spot of insulation to their armour, shoes, and gloves, quivers that lack the inclination to burn or melt and possess drainage enough that the ammunition can take a quick shower if it gets uppity. And if all this insulation(and ready access to toasty friends/partners/mortal-enemies) makes them more resistant to fire bison and ice lizard then who am I to complain...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2017, 07:04:38 pm »

Revision Fire-resistant crossbowmen
Metal strings, long levers to quickly rewind their bows, rigid stone covers to hold the bolts, add a spot of insulation to their armour, shoes, and gloves, quivers that lack the inclination to burn or melt and possess drainage enough that the ammunition can take a quick shower if it gets uppity. And if all this insulation(and ready access to toasty friends/partners/mortal-enemies) makes them more resistant to fire bison and ice lizard then who am I to complain...
As amusing as this is, it doesn't fix the problem.

Revision: Convince the Flamebolts that there is glory and honour in dying for one's country.

Same difference, really.
+1
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2017, 08:20:13 pm »

Same difference, really.

I say a combo of spell ease attempt and Int lowering attempt.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2017, 05:12:20 am »

Well that turned out mostly okay.

+1

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2017, 07:01:20 am »

Just swap fear with hatred in their mental matrix. "You monsters won't kill me without a fight!" becomes "I'll rip their faces off and eat them!". Simple really, so long as you can focus it on the enemy... I still say that the only problem here is that our crossbowmen are too weak to handle some poorly behaved bolts and a little fireproof gear would do the trick.
Read the First Post!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2017, 07:04:26 am »

Just swap fear with hatred in their mental matrix. "You monsters won't kill me without a fight!" becomes "I'll rip their faces off and eat them!". Simple really, so long as you can focus it on the enemy... I still say that the only problem here is that our crossbowmen are too weak to handle some poorly behaved bolts and a little fireproof gear would do the trick.
That still doesn't stop them from exploding prematurely. We need them to light the enemy on fire, not us. Even if we are fireproof, they're still useless unless we can actually use them the way we intended.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2017, 09:46:23 am »

Since when do they explode? What does it matter if they catch fire early? So long as they can be launched and are scalding when they hit the enemy...
Read the First Post!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2017, 10:01:56 am »

I was under the impression they exploded into fire. How else would they work? Just being on fire?

Glory to United Forenia!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7