Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette Early Days On ship Thread  (Read 32645 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Einsteinian Roulette Early Days On ship Thread
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:56:44 pm »

Einsteinian Roulette: Early Days

You step out of stasis pod into barracks naked, coughing up last bits stasis fluid out of your lungs. Nearby you find a box full of simple gray pants and shirts.

>Hello, and welcome to the the Hazardous Materials Requisition Corps.

> I'm the computer responsible of managing your potentially short service here, you may call me Dave. Nice to meet you. You probably have your reasons for being here, but honestly speaking I don't really care about those. What I do care about is what you will be doing here.

> Here's the deal. The HMR Corps has one mission: to gather research materials for the Magisters to aid rebuilding and strengthening United Worlds of Men to avoid next war of catastrophic proportions. What that means to you is being sent to every dangerous and twisted places we can possibly find in the pursuit of some more than likely meaningless alien can opener. And all you have to do is do that 10 times and you're free and clear, full pardon and carte blanche to do as you please. And that's the thing my newly made and no doubt transitory friend, there are only 2 ways out of the HMRC: you complete 10 missions or you die. There is no honorable discharge, if there's enough of your brains left to dump in something mechanical, we'll keep putting you out there. You complete 10 missions or you die. Any questions? No? Good.

> You may start screaming now.

Foreword

This is effective prequel to the Einsteinian Roulette, set few hundred years before events of the said game where Altered Wars is still in fresh memory, where UWM cements its power as military and governing force and re-establishing connections between lost planets.

For those more familiar with ER lore, this is somewhere around year 4100, roughly 600 years before events of piecewise's original game, before Red moon rebellions, before ascension of Armory Master and good ol' Doctor. Different time, different ship, same violent and bloody fate.

Rules

Standard RTD rules are in effect here:
[1] – Somebody is going to die. (Complete failure and bad side effects)
[2] – Traumatic amputation. (Failure)
[3] – Look on the bright side, its only radiation. (Lesser failure)
[4] – Squeaking through with most of your limbs. (Partial success)
[5] – Everything going my way. (Complete success)
[6] – Yes, I used a kilowatt laser to clean the windows in the ammunition storeroom, what of it? (Success so over the top that it has bad side effects)

Character sheet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stats
You get 20 points to put in at the start and 5 for every successful mission (assuming you live through it). Every 5 points in any stat is a extra 1/3 chance of a +1, so every 15 points you get a +1 in related rolls. Having less than 3 in a stat means -1 on rolls.

Strength:How good you are at lifting heavy things and then putting them down. Note that this stat doesn't describe your actual amount of strength; Instead it controls how well you control what strength you have. A giant robot with 0 strength will accidentally crush things it meant to lightly tap, and lightly tap things which it mean to crush.
Dexterity:Useful in hand to hand combat, acting quickly, running, dodging and generally doing things that require speed, accuracy and coordination.
Endurance:Useful for surviving damage and enduring effects such as poison, overmedication and drunkenness. This stat is also used for surviving lethal area of effect damage like explosions and massive amounts of gunfire. Some times the weapon that hit you might be so powerful that endurance will do nothing more than dictate whether or not your brain will remain intact enough to be revived.
Charisma:Can be used to look cool, beautiful and generally make a good impression on people. It is also used for convincing people of things and talking with them.
Intelligence:Your ability to analyze data, make educated deductions and knowing you really shouldn't jump into sea of molten iron even with a spacesuit. Used to operate certain weapons, like field manipulators.
Willpower:Not losing your mind in stressfull situations and resisting all manners of alien mindrape. Used to operate certain weapons, like psychokinetic amps.
Intuition:That six sense, tingly feeling in the back of your neck that lets you know that the meatloaf is bad or that someone's just lobbed a microton grenade into your latrine. Helpful for pulling information out of thin air.

Skills
You get 8 points to assign in the beginning and 5 with every successful mission. Every 5 points in any skill gets you a 1/3 chance of +1 to rolls, so 15 points in any skill means a +1 to all related rolls. Having less than 3 in a skill causes an automatic -1.

Conventional Weapons:By conventional weapons we mean anything that follows the general concept of "A metal tube which you point at things and potentially lethal somethings shoot out".
Unconventional Weapons:Covers your non-death-tube armaments. Explosives, melee weapons, field manipulators, etc.
Exotic Weapons:Things which blur the line between weapon, augment and supernatural force. Includes various psychokinetic amps, implants, genetic augmentation and most alien weaponry.
Handiwork:Making things, breaking things, and otherwise turning stuff from X into laserguided, thermonuclear Y.
Auxiliary Systems:The operation of things that are not purely weapons, or of weapons that are part of large systems. Includes mecha, exosuits, space ships and other vehicles, as well as computer controlled weapons, drones and etc.
Medical Tech:A mechanic both for people and the systems that keep people from dying in various ways.
General Knowledge:You know about the thing at the place? Yeah, of course you do.

Professions
Note: the + and -'s are to rolls, not skill totals.

Technician:Sometimes things needs fixing, breaking, changing or some other permutation of broke or un-broke. Or computers may need to know who's the new admin in system, or perhaps a shuttle needs some manual piloting. Thats where you, a heavy piece of steel and what you technical types like to call percussive maintainable, come in. Unfortunately all things truly weird are outside of scope of your skills.
+1 Auxiliary Systems and Handiwork, -1 to Exotic Weapons and Medical Tech (and Fate).
Transhuman:Humans are weak and squishy things that desperately need reinforcement, be it genetic, mechanical, biological or something in between. You don't really care as long as you can get it jammed into your flesh to give you superpowers. In the end of day you really didn't pay attention to more mundane parts of life, severely limiting your wealth of knowledge.
+1 to Exotic weapons. -1 to General Knowledge.
Mercenary:Even before this whole mess you made a living on killing things before they killed you. You've survived with nothing but your wits and weapon of choice and this certainly isn't going to change anything. Too bad that cocksure set of skills doesn't include patching yourself up or repairing your weapon.
+1 to General Knowledge and either Conventional, Unconventional or Exotic weapons, -1 to Medical Tech and Handiwork.
Doctor:These idiots, always getting themselves blown up and exposed to vacuum, charging in like lemmings and coming back in chunks. Good thing you're here to stitch them back together. When it comes to saving lives, no one's better than you. Too bad you're not so great with these blasted normal weapons.
+1 to Medical Tech. -1 to Conventional weapons.
Pragmatist:Everything is a weapon in hands of particularly street savvy man. No matter how unconvetional it is, you always found way to weaponize any object you could lift. Your focus on improvisation goes so far you don't even know how to use actual guns as they are intented to.
+1 to a Unconventional Weapons, -1 to Conventional Weapons.
Grunt:You always knew you'd grow up to do great things. The fact that you didn't just reinforces the knowledge that you're not all too bright. You're an ordinary shlub, just some poor jerk yanked into service because of some minor screw up. You're not a hero or a genius but you're flexible and that might be just enough to survive here.
+1 to a skill of your choice, -1 to a skill of your choice.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:58:51 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Early Days On ship Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:57:30 pm »

Armory
All weapons come with 1 magazine/battery of ammunition. Extra ammunition is available for a price.
Stat requirements are not absolute. You can use Plasma Projector with without Exoskeleton level strength, but with -1 penalty and extreme problems in case poor rolls.

Conventional Weapons
In the case of lasers and some other weapons, batteries are rated by time rather then shots. A 50 second battery can be used for a continuous 50 second beam or 50, 1 second pulses or anything in between.
Strength requirement for weapons matters only if you are made of meat or lesser strength class body. Strength classes go like this:
    Human < Robot < Exoskeleton < Synthflesh < Battlesuit < Avatar

Unconventional Weapons
Field generators are devices which allow their users to manipulate certain physical constants within a defined area. The area and amplitude of manipulation can be varied, but greater sizes and magnitudes require greater mental capacity. Heating an area the size of a basketball is relatively easy, but manipulating the vectors of a few hundred pieces of supersonic shrapnel in a 10 meter sphere is gonna take some serious brain power.

Exotic Weapons
Regardless of what your local phone psychic has told you, humans do not have psychic powers. Psychokinetic amps are basically just modified field manipulators for more specific purposes. Rather then require the user to control things manually through the use of complex algorithms, psychokinetic amps are implanted directly into the user's brain and controlled via thought. Rather than circuitry, the amp uses the neural networks of the user to do the calculations; as you would expect, having parts of your brain subjugated in order to solve complex physics equations makes it rather hard to focus and function normally without a lot of willpower. Amps are mostly safe but are prone to occasional bouts of...feedback...when the user pushes them beyond his own capabilities.
You can have only 3 amps or decompensators inside your skull.

Auxiliary Systems

Medical Tech

Armors

Implants and gene therapies
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:02:05 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:57:54 pm »

Some useful links

OOC thread. If you are not talking in character to another character or posting an action, then post it over there rather than here.
Armory purchases. Post your armory purchases here. Nah, maybe later.
Level up! When you want to level up, post it there.
ER Wiki, almost comprehensive player maintained wiki about all things in ER universe.

Ship map

Rec Room layout

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:00:41 pm by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:44:52 pm »

PTW!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:11:18 pm »

PTW and
char sheet
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:49:43 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:46:24 pm »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 03:48:48 pm »

PTW!

Skulls for the skull throne!
Tears for the corpse flakes!

Or something!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 01:08:57 am »

Ptw.

Whatever happened to my Infirmiary character, anyway?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 02:20:08 pm »

PTW and
char sheet

Welcome.

You presumably get dressed up before following lines painted on hallway floors towards armory, like a moth towards fire, hopelessly attracted by its potential for massive destruction. Armory itself is inaccessible, but you deliver your order to the person sitting behind the kiosk window. She's hairless, tall and very statuesque woman wearing green overalls. Her skin is harsh white, musculature extremely well defined to the point of near ridiculous levels. Her eyes are pitch black, indicating CamEyes implants. She puts down the datapad she was tapping, takes your tokens you find from your pockets and fetches you a rifle and magic calculator sliding them over the counter wordlessly before focusing on the datapad again.

"Here you go."

> That's a long name, friendo.

Ptw.

Whatever happened to my Infirmiary character, anyway?

Who knows. Perhaps he died in there, perhaps he escaped with others and faded into safety of quantum obscurity.
Old sigs.
Games.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 02:23:56 pm »

((If I remember correctly, I believe I kidnapped AZy with me for the exploration of orgy-verse))
Idly hit on the armory master while looking over the equipement I've procured
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:46:59 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 02:26:04 pm »

"Screw you, Dave."

Microwave amp, cutting torch.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 01:09:56 pm »

Should I do this?  No.  Am I listening to reason?

Spoiler: Filgres Tosang (click to show/hide)

You tell me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 02:01:45 pm »

TIME TO SEE HOW MUCH IVE IMPROVED

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:09:38 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 04:06:54 pm »

((If I remember correctly, I believe I kidnapped AZy with me for the exploration of orgy-verse))
Idly hit on the armory master while looking over the equipement I've procured

[Cha: 3-1] You pat your rifle uncomfortably while blushing and mumbling something unclear.

Armory master lifts his eyes to look you. "What? Do you need instructions how to use the rifle? One moment." Few seconds later she hands you a pamphlet with big friendly letters on top: Laser rifles for dummies.

"Screw you, Dave."

Microwave amp, cutting torch.

> Some screwing will take place eventually when we get you into new body, no doubt.

You too follow painted lines towards armory and find big grizzly murderhobo blushing at his brand new rifle.

Armory master takes your tokens and hands you cutting torch and a ticket. "They install amps in infirmary. Give this to any nurse or doctor over there."

Should I do this?  No.  Am I listening to reason?

Spoiler: Filgres Tosang (click to show/hide)

You tell me.

Probably not, but welcome anyway.

TIME TO SEE HOW MUCH IVE IMPROVED

ONLY TIME WILL TELL!

> Start wandering over to the briefing room. I'll start briefing as soon as we have enough people awake and present.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 04:20:31 pm »

Filgres looked around excitedly after he finished recovering from the tube and dressing.  "Hey, this isn't too bad!  I can't wait for the first mission!"

Head excitedly to the briefing room.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14