Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire Lawmaker  (Read 909 times)

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
Vampire Lawmaker
« on: March 22, 2017, 02:50:21 pm »

Over the years, I have noticed a rare death of a dwarf or visitor. I noticed they only happened during the months the human law maker is visiting. Said leader is also a confirmed killer and happened to be the sole witness to a murder.

So he is undead without a doubt.
But how do I deal with him? Do I start work on my defenses, deal with the vampire, then enjoy the !!FUN!!
Or should I use trickery?
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Lawmaker
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:19:50 pm »

I'd suggest an unfortunate accident involving drawbridges that happen to lock him into an airlock as someone accidentally pulls the lever that activates the minecart repeater controlling menacing spikes in said airlock. You could also have an atom smasher in the airlock, but those are lousy at dealing with Titans and tend to destroy goblinite (but repeaters are usually overkill if drawbridges are used).

If you want less subtlety, I suspect you can get away with just attacking him without it immediately leading to full scale war. After all, a number of players complain about how hard it is to push the pointy ears into attacking.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:04:16 pm »

If possible, it's best to avoid anyone witnessing his death. If he's been missing for a week, it's a better situation than all his guards, and half your dwarves, and the entire merchant party witnessing three of your dwarves walking up and beating him to a bloody pulp with a gold-decorated lead crutch, a silver hammer, and their fists. As a random and non-specific example. They tend to get upset if you do it that way.

In related news: Blood is not easy to clean off walls in this game.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:41:18 am »

If possible, it's best to avoid anyone witnessing his death. If he's been missing for a week, it's a better situation than all his guards, and half your dwarves, and the entire merchant party witnessing three of your dwarves walking up and beating him to a bloody pulp with a gold-decorated lead crutch, a silver hammer, and their fists. As a random and non-specific example. They tend to get upset if you do it that way.

In related news: Blood is not easy to clean off walls in this game.

Adventure mode has taught me that they don't seem to recognize you as a murderer if you come in covered in blood and their friend is missing. It only really matters if there is a witness.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 11:32:58 am »

I suggest trying to wall him away somewhere.

My previous fortress had the same issue where the human diplomat would visit, meet with my leader, exchange a few pleasantries, hang out with his guards in the temple, drain a dwarf, then finally leave after a season.

The annoying bit was that even though I had everyone sleeping in a dormitory / bedrooms with gem window walls, and there were witnesses, he'd still drink a dwarf.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 03:35:47 pm »

I suggest trying to wall him away somewhere.

He'll be there forever: Vampires don't die due to lack of blood.

The annoying bit was that even though I had everyone sleeping in a dormitory / bedrooms with gem window walls, and there were witnesses, he'd still drink a dwarf.

I've had no witnesses of a vampire with the drained corpses showing up in the middle of a crowded eating hall. Other drained corpses appeared in front of the forge, surrounded by smelters which work 24/7, and dwarves carrying lumps of smelted lead and lumps of coal, or walking back for another load. No one saw a thing. Vampires are stealthy. Bedrooms would be even easier.

...Eventually worked out the vampire who liked drinking smiths was arriving each year with the caravan, but the fort had Fun before the next caravan arrived, so I never worked out whether it was a guard, a merchant, or some sort of diplomat.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Gigabytebob

• Bay Watcher
  • Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 01:25:36 am »

step 1:make a draw bridge
step 2:smash the crap out of him with said draw bridge
step 3:HAVE !FUN!
adamantine, the only material that can be honed to an edge so fine it can cut light, cleave steel like butter, and sever heads with the enthusiasm of a deranged bloodthirsty child.

Turn those goblinoid uglybolds into adorable cutebolds

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 01:27:26 am »

I swore you said Vampire Lawnmower...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 01:43:59 am »

The blood of the innocent is less environmentally damaging than gasoline. :) rarely needs to see the mechanic either!

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 05:21:20 pm »

I used to regularly slaughter the elf merchants and tree-fucker-in-chief. Took a helluvea lot to provoke them to fight
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 01:34:46 pm »

Maybe the King made him a lawmaker so that somebody will get him assassinated without him having to deal with the political fallout.

Would be great if you could accuse someone of being a night creature in fortress mode, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 07:03:09 pm »

This is a thing I must see the resolution of.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 10:02:37 pm »

I did it...
I finished my top secret mega project, and then I turned around and murdered that vampire. I did outcin
The open sunlight, so all can see it clearly.
Its been 13 years now, all the mega beasts have been push overs, no goblins to fight.

COME AT ME HUMANS!

Come at me with all your king's horses and men! I want you to make me stuggle!
Avenge the blood sucking parasite you call your leader! You will nearly be a for test my metal and shall sate my blood lust!
Your souls will be rendered onto the beast of canyon!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

(Good news, I finished my first real big mega project after six weeks l, should I post pics onto a new thread)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:08:46 pm by Ironfang »
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"