Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do we want a board game?  (Read 3179 times)

Silverbel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do we want a board game?
« on: March 23, 2017, 05:42:29 am »

I am just panning for interest. It's 3 A.M. and losing is fun, but is losing a boardgame fun?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do we want a board game?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 05:55:17 am »

Not unless little nanobots work hard in the box at night to remake the pieces each time. Otherwise you've just got a generic dwarf based building game which has nothing to do with DF. Kind of Caverna with a Dwarf Fortress label on the box.

Incidentally, I believe it was a board game concept that they refused to license the dwarf fortress name to before, so I guess it won't happen.

And...no, I don't think losing a board game would be all that fun really. Board games (good ones) take a long time to play. You'd probably only want to play it once.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:58:12 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 11:48:22 pm »

The world builder can generate some pretty cool D&D worlds though.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 05:58:14 am »

A dwarf fortress inspired game could be fun but I don't think you should use the name dwarf fortress, maybe a short card game called losing is fun? If you get anywhere with this let me know cause I love board games. The longer I think about it the more I find it a good idea with the card game I just mentioned. Already have some ideas coming to my mind.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Silverbel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 09:41:58 pm »

There are some design hurdles.

1. It needs to be able to spiral out of control, yet without being too slow to play.

2. Mass dorfs must be a thing..At least a maximum of 200 in play.

3. Doom must gradually escalate.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 08:17:33 am »

I'm thinking of a game kind of like Munchkin where you build your fort from cards and funny and tragic events occur every turn.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 10:10:22 am »

I'm thinking of a game kind of like Munchkin where you build your fort from cards and funny and tragic events occur every turn.
Betrayal at House on the Hill might be a good game to get inspiration from. Instead of exploring a haunted house, you'd be building a fort, and the "haunts" would be events like invasions, mega/forgotten beast attacks, candy, etc.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Silverbel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 10:04:01 pm »

In particular I am not digging into mechanics yet. Neither of the mentioned board games really epitomize a struggle against inevitable disaster, so drawing inspiration from their play structure doesn't really catch my eye.

Things about Dorf Fort:

It's an economic engine building game. You start small and it gets bigger.

Efficiency is a thing.

Things happen and then you're boned.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 05:33:56 am »

In particular I am not digging into mechanics yet. Neither of the mentioned board games really epitomize a struggle against inevitable disaster, so drawing inspiration from their play structure doesn't really catch my eye.

Things about Dorf Fort:

It's an economic engine building game. You start small and it gets bigger.

Efficiency is a thing.

Things happen and then you're boned.

The bigger/higher/deeper you build, the heavier you fall when it happens. Jenga perhaps?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 05:48:15 am »

Whatever it is, there must be "updated version releases drawbridges(/whatever) no longer work: spend 100 rebuilding points and draw a creature chance card now, or don't and draw two creature chance cards every year end" draw-card/penalty-square to make it really meta...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:50:05 am by Starver »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 05:57:43 am »

I think it shouldn't have the detail of DF, it should be a lot more munchkin-like, because massive board games are annoying. A very basic mechanic might be having decks of "Features", "Problems" and "solutions".

Your fort has "features", which you add to, and which gain you "Solutions".
You use "problem" cards on other people's forts, and they have to play "solution" cards to escape or lose, say, a feature. Or just lose full stop.
Maybe certain features gain certain solutions, certain problems can only have certain solutions, etc.

Examples of "features" would be: Volcano, Goblin Zoo, Trapped Megabeast, magma Access, First Cavern Colony, Eternally Burning Artifact, Legendary Warrior, Soap works

Examples of "problems" would be: Tantrum Spiral, Undead invasion, Elven ambush, FPS death, Catsplosion, etc

Examples of "solutions" would be: Fire, ballistae battery, open all cages, soap, magma, cave-in, etc.

Just spitballing, this is an example of the complexity I would approve of. I like DF's complexity, limitations and scope sometimes; so far none of my friends have proved partial.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:10:51 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 10:09:21 am »

I think it shouldn't have the detail of DF, it should be a lot more munchkin-like, because massive board games are annoying. A very basic mechanic might be having decks of "Features", "Problems" and "solutions".

Your fort has "features", which you add to, and which gain you "Solutions".
You use "problem" cards on other people's forts, and they have to play "solution" cards to escape or lose, say, a feature. Or just lose full stop.
Maybe certain features gain certain solutions, certain problems can only have certain solutions, etc.

Examples of "features" would be: Volcano, Goblin Zoo, Trapped Megabeast, magma Access, First Cavern Colony, Eternally Burning Artifact, Legendary Warrior, Soap works

Examples of "problems" would be: Tantrum Spiral, Undead invasion, Elven ambush, FPS death, Catsplosion, etc

Examples of "solutions" would be: Fire, ballistae battery, open all cages, soap, magma, cave-in, etc.
That's kind of what I was thinking though the players could mix the decks and in games the "features" would be "solutions" and "solutions" would be "futures" and sometomes they would be the "problems". Also events should happen every turn naturally.

So currently there are two kinds of people in this thread. The ones who would like a heavy economic~strategy DFboard and those who would like a hillarious party game DFboard. I would play both of them :P.

Also, I'm currently working on the "alpha" rules if anyone would want to team up.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:12:25 am by snow dwarf »

Silverbel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 10:38:20 pm »

Well I sortof am also.

I dislike the idea of using decks for everything. It is an overused design element.

When you play Dorf, certain elements are random and you have no real control over...

- Your environment
- The threats you face
- Which dorfs you get past the start
- Material variances available for building and craft

For some of these aspects a deck might work, or another element...

These things are always the same.
- Industry tree
- efficient start designs
- Game interface

I think a "Solution deck" is going the wrong way.

"The bigger/higher/deeper you build, the heavier you fall when it happens. "
 This is true.

There is a concept called Emergence which says when you combine certain complex elements, unexpected things can occur.

It would be nice to find an "Emergent" game mechanic
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:51:00 pm by Silverbel »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 04:43:43 am »

I'm still more convinced with a party DFBG

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 07:37:32 am »

"Suburbia" style on how to build a fortress - and to compete between different forts.
Then you would need add some sort of events.

I actually things it´s pretty hard to make the "DF-boardgame". Better to see different games that have different sorts of the inspiration.

When I´m thinking of it, "Galaxy Trucker" is one of the games I played that embarace "losing is Fun" in the best way.
You get FUN events that blow up parts of your and the other players spaceships in a hilarious way.
So if i feel for a "losing is fun" boardgame, I would play Galaxy trucker.
Pages: [1] 2