Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is making a non-commercial game explicitly set in the Dwarf Fortress world allow  (Read 2426 times)

functionary

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Is making a non-commercial game explicitly set in the Dwarf Fortress world allowed?
I asked this on IRC and got "probably yes" for an answer, but was told to ask on the forums as well.

If yes, then is promoting it by constantly mentioning Dwarf Fortress and putting "Dwarf Fortress" in the title allowed?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

You'd need to ask Toady to know for sure.  I don't think this is covered in any kind of explicit license agreement, but the default assumption for things like this that it's not allowed unless you're explicitly given permission.

That said, I'd be quite surprised if he said no.

See here for the official contact information, or you could probably just PM him directly here.  He doesn't directly respond to threads like these very often.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

functionary

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

That went fast!

Toady's reply:
The universe, such as it is (through the raw files), is public domain now, and you can do what you like there.  That said, we'd prefer people not to put Dwarf Fortress in the title, just to avoid confusion and headaches over the trademark.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also to respect the trademark, you might want to explicitly disclaim any relation to Bay 12, even if you do mention prominently that the universe is inspired by Dwarf Fortress, and link to the official game, too, so anyone interested by it can check the original out.

Rusty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is the "Dwarf Fortress World?"  Its a procedurally generated world with a procedurally generated history and populated with generic creatures that are either actual creatures or derivatives of actual creatures, or fantasy creatures that have been the staple of stories forever... or randomly assembled beasts.  None of that would even be possible to claim ownership of.  The language, maybe?  Content wise, there isn't much there that isn't already public domain.  I'm thinking his ownership stake is solely in this wonderful piece of software that he has lovingly built over the years to assemble the world and create stories; not in the actual in game content itself. 

Edit:  Oh yeah, but if you're going to use the actual title, that is something different.  "Dwarf Fortress" is a specific identifiable thing that is distinctly his property... but if he opened it up to the world, then have at it, I think.     
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:13:16 am by Rusty »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Fluffy Wamblers are Extremely Copyrighted

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Violators will be pelted with spinning live fluffy wamblers.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Violators will be pelted with spinning live fluffy wamblers.
Execution then? Seems appropriate.

functionary

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

(I already got my answer, I'm just replying)

I asked because I vaguely remember Toady refusing some big money for a Dwarf Fortress tabletop game deal.

Also it is still good to know the stance even if it isn't a legally relevant. And asking is just so easy!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:32:03 am by functionary »

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did recently discover a game called "Depths of Boatmurdered" which is a free game loosely based off the Dwarf Fortress Lets Play of the same name, Boatmurdered.  If there are other DF-ish related games I'm not aware of any others yet.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

I did recently discover a game called "Depths of Boatmurdered" which is a free game loosely based off the Dwarf Fortress Lets Play of the same name, Boatmurdered.  If there are other DF-ish related games I'm not aware of any others yet.

I remember this text adventure game I played somewhere had tons of references to it, such as your dwarf companion saying that he used to be a legendary cheese maker, nobles are often found on the undersides of bridges, the earth is full off hidden fun stuff, and you would never believe how powerful candy can be.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

What is the "Dwarf Fortress World?"  Its a procedurally generated world with a procedurally generated history and populated with generic creatures that are either actual creatures or derivatives of actual creatures, or fantasy creatures that have been the staple of stories forever... or randomly assembled beasts.  None of that would even be possible to claim ownership of.  The language, maybe?  Content wise, there isn't much there that isn't already public domain.  I'm thinking his ownership stake is solely in this wonderful piece of software that he has lovingly built over the years to assemble the world and create stories; not in the actual in game content itself. 

Edit:  Oh yeah, but if you're going to use the actual title, that is something different.  "Dwarf Fortress" is a specific identifiable thing that is distinctly his property... but if he opened it up to the world, then have at it, I think.   

Tarn has mentioned that hes not a fan of having people put dwarf fortress in the title of the game.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com