Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adding attack types to weapons  (Read 1405 times)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding attack types to weapons
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 04:08:29 pm »

No, it hurts (and with the current system, breaks) them alright, but you need depth to weaponize the rigid layers. It's the difference between a caved skull and a lethal concussion.

The wiki claims that penetration depth is ignored for blunt attacks, but I don't know what that claim is based on.  Do you know of a !!SCIENCE!! thread or something that shows that the penetration depths actually does matter?
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 08:22:12 pm »

No, it hurts (and with the current system, breaks) them alright, but you need depth to weaponize the rigid layers. It's the difference between a caved skull and a lethal concussion.

The wiki claims that penetration depth is ignored for blunt attacks, but I don't know what that claim is based on.  Do you know of a !!SCIENCE!! thread or something that shows that the penetration depths actually does matter?

Nothing like that, but there was that time someone corroborated my findings.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 09:35:49 pm »

Welp, that's a LOT of bugs right there, then.  I haven't been bothering to assign penetration depths to blunt attacks, they're all 0 right now....
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 08:58:39 am »

I wonder if you added 100 different copies of the blunt attack and then one edge attack, would that work?

I actually like this workaround very much.  For one, it would work perfectly for fortress mode.

For adventure mode, I wonder if the attack types show up in the order that they are presented in the raws?

For example, if the data for warhammer read:
[blunt attack]
[edge attack]
[blunt attack]
[blunt attack]
[blunt attack] etc....

Would it follow that the adventure mode attack menu would have blunt attack and edge attack as the first two options?  Wouldn't be to hard to use then.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 01:35:36 pm »

Nothing like that, but there was that time someone corroborated my findings.

And Urist DaVinci was pretty much the main guy/gal when it came to combat testing and equations (they are the one who looked into the actual equations DF uses for combat). From my testing, which involved running arena combats and outputting all attack action and wound outputs I found that penetration depth of the blunt attack seems to get somehow passed to the shattered bone (which is an edge attack). Thus if you have a 0 penetration attack against a rib cage you can shatter all the bones (depending on attack momentum and tissue layers) but if you give that attack some penetration value you will shatter the bones and force them into organs, muscle, etc...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 05:45:08 pm »

WHY DID I NOT KNOW BOTH OF THESE THINGS

Blurgh, someone needs to tell Stal too, as I enjoy the tweaks Grimlocke and Stal did with weapon balance/feel.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 11:45:51 pm »

Well, bugger. I wonder if that was even intended to be that way, and does that also extend to attacks with miscellaneous objects and blunt creature attacks?

I think I will leave my mod mostly as-is... It already has a lot of the 'blunt' weapons that have some edge penetration for things like morningstar spikes and pronged hammerheads.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: 1 [2]