Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding tunnels  (Read 564 times)

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding tunnels
« on: March 23, 2017, 11:31:15 am »

According to the wiki, world gen can produce underground tunnels running through the first cavern layer. I've never seen one. Is there a way to find one so I can build a fortress on top of it?

I'm hoping sieges and/or caravans will come through the tunnel; I realize that flooding it with various liquids or barricading it will not wreck the rest of the world but it might be amusing anyway.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding tunnels
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 12:47:51 pm »

IIRC, there's a worldgen parameter which makes them visible.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:18:49 pm »

There are three different features that sort of match. The first one, with the best match, is the one Insert_Gnome_Here refers to. This one is displayed with the advanced world gen parameter for displaying caves. I think caves can be disconnected from the caverns, but all the cases I've seen have been connected to the first cavern. A tunnel can very occasionally contain critters (like a kobold nest), and it ought to be possible to find (semi) megabeasts in them, although I've never done so.

Note that a cave like the one above doesn't release spores automatically: they're released only when you discover the cavern (I suspect one way of releasing the spores is to go down the tunnel).

The second one is a tunnel connection between two of the caverns (but not the surface). When it is discovered, there's a message saying you've found a downwards tunnel (or something like that), even if you've actually found the bottom end first.

The third one is similar to the second one (with the same message), but instead of a tunnel it's a vertical shaft that looks like an empty magma tube (and doesn't reach the magma sea).

I'm not away of any way to detect the latter two beforehand.

Barricading a cave will block anything that may be in it, as well as cavern critters (such as FBs) from going out onto the surface. Pouring liquid down a cave sounds rather pointless, as it will pour out in the cavern below and evaporate (the exception being if you're actually trying to drown a kobold nest).

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 03:27:28 pm »

There is another kind of tunnel, built by dwarves in worldgen and paved. They run through the cavern between procedural fortresses and can be fast traveled through, when it's not bugged. I don't recall finding any in fort mode, but I have come across one or two as an adventurer.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 05:05:27 pm »

Aren't the entrances artificially 'capped' in Fortress mode? I seem to recall that being a thing.

Playfortresses

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 02:34:55 am »

I've seen those. Embark on a road, if you don't have one visible it might be down there.