Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanted: Leopeard trousers.  (Read 538 times)

Screamy

• Bay Watcher
  • ^Utter newb. Please advice.
    • View Profile
Wanted: Leopeard trousers.
« on: March 24, 2017, 05:22:35 am »

Yep, me again. Sorry.

Just hunted down a local great leopard, and could really do with some extra fur, leather, bone and meat, how do i tell my fearless chumps to collect the body.
 Tried using the Butchers Shop, but they cancelled two tasks that seemed reasonable due to lack of suitable animals. (The leopard is super dead but quite a bit away)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Leopeard trousers.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 05:29:05 am »

I think there's something in the (o)rders screen that lets you take the body, in the refuse.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 06:06:09 am »

There's a limit on how far away and item is for it to be butchered. I make the dwarves bring it closer by setting a refuse stockpile next to the butchery, only accepting corpses. As StagnantSoul has said, you need to go to the orders screen and enable 'gather refuse from outside' or something to that effect.
Also, if you're not drowning in leather, I'd suggest using what you have to make quivers, waterskins or backpacks, since trousers can be made out of cloth.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Screamy

• Bay Watcher
  • ^Utter newb. Please advice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 06:13:32 am »

I think the distance might be a problem, thanks for hepling me troubleshoot it, going to try setting up a chain of piles leading it to the butcheratorium!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 06:29:16 am »

You don't need a chain of refuse stockpiles: one is enough. The issue is that the butcher only takes "free" corpses from within a limited radius, while a refuse stockpile takes from anywhere (just look at the hordes of dorfs running out into the caverns when opened and an FB has rampaged: they'll haul old bones as a super important task. The butchery "can see" corpses in any refuse stockpile and order it butchered (which happens automatically unless you change the default settings).
There is no "Hey, dumbass, fetch and butcher THIS corpse, PRONTO!" key order.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 02:21:13 pm »

Also, if you're not drowning in leather, I'd suggest using what you have to make quivers, waterskins or backpacks, since trousers can be made out of cloth.

I'd argue that leather is a much easier-to-streamline resource than cloth (especially if you go the plant fabric route) and that a beginner should make everything they can out of leather.

Speaking of cloth, are you making knick knacks and doodads to sell to the merchants in Autumn? Because cloth costs a bundle, and food and alcohol costs even more. You need to produce a lot of whatever you intend to trade before Autumn comes around. I usually find that I can't afford cloth for the first few years.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 07:27:06 pm »

Speaking of cloth, are you making knick knacks and doodads to sell to the merchants in Autumn? Because cloth costs a bundle, and food and alcohol costs even more. You need to produce a lot of whatever you intend to trade before Autumn comes around. I usually find that I can't afford cloth for the first few years.
There are a number of industries (I prefer glass traps) that should make it easy to buy anything you want from caravans, even on year 1.

For the OP, another option is to claim the corpse and designate it for dumping, and set the only valid dump zone right next to the butcher shop. Then re-unforbid the corpse and order the butcher job again.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 01:07:14 pm »

Unforbid the corpse, set up a refuse stockpile nearby, and set one close to the fort to take from it, with wheelbarrows.
Make sure there's a butchery right next to your main corpse stockpile; bodies are heavy.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.