Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Issues with the military screen / walkthrough  (Read 392 times)

Brynjar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Issues with the military screen / walkthrough
« on: March 24, 2017, 05:38:33 am »

Hi,
I'm pretty new to dwarf fortress (I played a bit few years ago but never got it) and the basics are running great.

Now I want to setup a militia to protect my precious fortress against those nasty goblins. In most of the tutorials I've found is a phrase I don't understand:
Hit space to stop promoting. We’ve created our first squad.
When I hit space it doenst seem do make any difference, nothing on the screen changes.

Also I dont found the:
On the first squad leader, hit V for view squad.
key option in the military screen? Everything else worked on point from the documentation / tutorials so I think I just missed something out.

Tutorials I refer to The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress – Part 10: “Soldiers and your army” and 8. Soldiers and your army
I'm using the walkthrough pack from the second tutorial.

Thanks for any help in advance :)
With best regards,
Brynjar.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with the military screen / walkthrough
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 06:03:58 am »

I can get a military up and running fine these days. No idea what "hit space to stop promoting" means. Don't really understand why you'd need to 'V'iew a squad either.

--edit
Hmm. Just checked out that link. I guess the military screen changed at some point. I don't recognise much of anything it's saying there.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:06:12 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Brynjar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 06:41:10 am »

Well I just got confused. Thanks for your answer.
With best regards,
Brynjar.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:42:05 am »

One of those tutorials is from 2009 and the other looks like it's cut-pasted from the first.  You're probably better off with the wiki, since it has a better chance of being updated.  I just skimmed the Military quickstart page and it's not perfect but it should be enough to get a military up and running.