Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Archmage: The Blood of Magic  (Read 13127 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Archmage: The Blood of Magic
« on: March 25, 2017, 04:43:02 am »

Archmage: The Blood of Magic

The Rifts. Rips in the fabric of the universe, leading to another realm. A realm of Escher physics, unlimited power and horrors beyond imagination. Thankfully only a few of these violations of reality exist, and the knowledge of their existence is equally limited. However, there are those who would attempt to manipulate the rift for their own ends, risking the existence of the universe in the process. One such rift lies in the Kindom of Zalia.

The angel, Malus, has crafted a seal over the rift, one small step in guaranteeing the continued existence of this world. However the completion of this seal will come at great cost. Malus must sacrifice his life force to complete the ritual and seven nobles must bind their futures, and the futures of all their descendants, to the fate of the seal in order to maintain it. There is however, one very small silver lining. Seven artifacts, bound to the seal will be created. The bearers of these artifacts, the heads of each of the seven noble families, will gain a portion of Malus' power. With this power, magic will finally be within reach of mortals.

One final boon was given to the kingdom of Zalia, an enchantment upon the seal. This divination reveals the amount of time until an event that could threaten the stability of the seal. It does not say what, only when. It is not much, but it will have to be enough.

---

This is a dynastic, wands race (ish), cooperative game. You will each lead a magical dynasty, tasked with defending the rift and the Kingdom of Zalia from all threats. You will need to research new spells and use them when disaster strikes, but you will also need to produce and tutor heirs to take on the mantle when your current Archmage dies.

There are some mechanics, and some space for freeform actions, but for now all I ask from players is the following:

What is your Archmage's name and gender? (Gender is important for the creation of heirs)
What form does your artifact take? (Mostly for fluff. If I get a good enough idea for each artifact, this may have an actual effect)
What spell do you learn upon binding your family to the seal? (If your suggested spell is over/under powered, I will modify it to be in line with everyone elses)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archmage: The Blood of Magic
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 05:08:21 am »

Magical Glossary

Spells
Abjuration
Conjure Barrier (3) – [Barrier][Long Cast][Physical] Creates a physical barrier of force of variable size. This barrier will block anything from passing, corporeal or not, whilst power remains to sustain it. The spell can be focused enough to act as a shield on someone arm, or be large enough to block a gateway. If enough damage is dealt to the barrier, it will dissipate.
Proto-Projection (1) - [Projection][Ritual Cast] A training spell, allowing the user a safe position to practice casting spells whilst astraly projecting.
Spirit Wall (3) – [Barrier][Long Cast][Spirit] Creates a glassy wall of force of variable size. Any creature with a soul, including non-corporeal beings, cannot pass through, but anything without one is unhindered. The duration of the wall depends on its surface area. At its maximum, (wide enough to block a standard street) it'll last for a couple of hours. At its smallest (enough to block a doorway), it’ll last for over a day if undisturbed. If enough damage is dealt to the wall, it will dissipate.
Spirit Wall, Selective (4) - [Barrier][Long Cast][Spirit] Identical in most respects to Spirit Wall, however instead of blocking everything, this spell allows those bearing a specially enchanted signet ring to pass through. Only someone who knows this spell can produce these rings.

Conjuration
Summon Air Elemental (3) - [Air][Ritual Cast][Summon] Summons one or more air elementals, subservient to the caster's commands. The spell can summon one medium sized elemental, or three small ones. The summoned elemental(s) will last for one day before dissipating.
Summon Earth Elemental (3) – [Earth][Ritual Cast][Summon] Summons one or more earth elementals, subservient to the caster’s commands. The spell can summon one medium sized elemental, or three small ones. The summoned elemental(s) will last for one day before dissipating.

Divination
Seal Scanner (4) - [Artifact][Clairvoyance][Expense][Ritual Cast] This spell observes the flows, threads, bindings and such like that make up the myriad enchantments of the Seal. These observations are then recorded and stored within precious stones. The recordings can be played back at a later date, however the heightened senses granted by an artifact is required in order to have any hope of perceiving the information correctly. A year's worth of recording will cost three wealth in precious stones.
Void Scry (3) – [Artefact][Clairvoyance][Rift][Ritual Cast] Allows the caster to sense a small area within the rift, and wards the user’s mind against the myriad threats beyond.

Enchantment
Elixir of Life, Primitive (5) - [Alchemy][Expense][Life] Regular intake of this potion returns natural vigour and youth to an individual, effectively making them ten years younger, if they were to stop drinking the potion, their true age would catch up with them. The reagents required for this are all expensive, rare & obscure. Maintaining a supply for one person will cost two wealth.
Long Lasting Wall - [Ritual Cast][Warding] Bolsters a wall, barrier or other defence, be it physical or magical, increasing its resistance to attack and the ravage of time
Regeneration (4) - [Life][Minor Sacrifice][Ritual Cast] Causes rapid recovery from mortal injuries and the regrowth of lost limbs, virtually guaranteeing survival assuming the spell can be started in time. The patient will require extra food and bedrest to recover from the rapid healing factor.
Vampirism (5) - [Death][Moderate Sacrifice][Ritual Cast] At the cost of five pints of blood from another mortal, the subject will have the effects of ageing reduced to one tenth the natural rate. Additionally, they will appear more youthful, feel more energetic and have a generally improved constitution. The effects will last for one month.
Vampirism, Lesser (3) – [Death][Minor Sacrifice][Ritual Cast] At the cost of one pint of blood from another mortal, the caster will have the effects of ageing reduced by half. The effects will last for one month.

Evocation
Anti-Magic Dart Cluster (2) - [Counter][Ranged][Short Cast] A burst of three Magic Darts, the key difference being that it disrupts enchantments and magical energy on a hit, rather than causing physical trauma.
Evoke Rock Shard (2) - [Earth][Ranged][Short Cast] Summons a small piece of sharp rock, approximately the size of a man's fist and forcefully projects it away from the caster.
Fire Ball, Lesser (3) - [Fire][Ranged][Short Cast] Creates a small ball of fire, appromiamtely the size of a man's fist and forcefully projects it away from the caster. On impact, the fireball will explode, dealing damage to a small area.
Healing Touch (1) - [Life][Short Cast] Rapidly heals minor injuries, and improves recovery for disease and more non-minor wounds.
Rains of Life (3) – [Area][Life][Ritual Cast] Encourages a localized raincloud to form, covering approximately 10 acres. The waters are also enchanted with mild healing properties, encouraging plant growth and health. Monthly use will increase crop yield by about 20%.
Laser Beam (3) – [Fire][Ranged][Short Cast] A focused beam of light is projected towards a target, burning all it touches. The beam lasts for a few seconds, and can either focus on a target, to increase penetration, or be swept across an area.
Laser Beam, Greater (5) - [Fire][Ranged][Short Cast] Similar in most respects to Laser Beam, but with general improved range, damage and duration.
Lightning Storm (6) - [Area][Ritual Cast][Weather] Artificial air currents draws waterladen clouds together. The pressure causes rain to form, and the swirling winds and clouds generates lightning over a mile area. This can be "targeted" to an extent. The less water there is in the sky, the longer the storm will take to form.
Magic Dart (1) - [Physical][Ranged][Short Cast] Creates a solid piece of magic and launches it away from the caster. Has the approximate range and effectiveness as an arrow.
Void Knife (3) - [Melee][Short Cast][Spirit] A very short range spell, designed to harm riftbeasts and disrupt the soul.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:08:25 pm by Kashyyk »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 05:14:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edited
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:31:06 am by Shadowclaw777 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 09:05:59 am »

Yeah, alright. Just gonna copy my character from the last thing like this, which didn't get past the second turn.

Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 09:16:58 am »

However, there are those who would attempt to manipulate the rift for their own ends, risking the existence of the universe in the process. One such rift lies in the Kindom of Zalia.
That is terrible that there are people that would do such a thing!!!

Theoretically, could someone take a rift manipulation/seal maintenance role, and have their artifact serve as a sort of key to bypass the seal without weakening it? I'm thinking along the lines of being able to scan into the rift, then astral project into it. Afterall, if nobody knows how to deal with riftspace, then the seal is only temporary in the grand scheme of things, and Malus sacrificed himself for nothing.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 09:20:59 am »

As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 09:53:19 am »

@Shadowclaw: Conjuring a permanent golem from nothing is beyond the kind of spell you'd start with. I can offer you a spell like Animate Statue or the theory Permanent Enchantment though. I'll also tone down the mind-destroying affects of your artifact. You don't want it to turn your characters mad.

@Nuke: It was recalling that game whilst playing Wand Race that caused me to plan this actually. Your submission looks good.

@Nirur: It'll be dangerous and slow going, but I won't rule it out.

@S34NIC: Looks good

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 10:31:35 am »

@Shadowclaw: Conjuring a permanent golem from nothing is beyond the kind of spell you'd start with. I can offer you a spell like Animate Statue or the theory Permanent Enchantment though. I'll also tone down the mind-destroying affects of your artifact. You don't want it to turn your characters mad.

@Nuke: It was recalling that game whilst playing Wand Race that caused me to plan this actually. Your submission looks good.

@Nirur: It'll be dangerous and slow going, but I won't rule it out.

@S34NIC: Looks good
Fixed, made spell temporary and artifact more safer for the user

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 10:49:11 am »

This path is wise.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 10:53:35 am »

Ooohh, looks interesting

Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 11:00:35 am »

I remember joining something like this, but never actually getting to play. Mind if I reserve a spot and fill it when I get home?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 11:42:58 am »

@Shadowclaw: That's not quite the spell I meant. If you particularly want to summon something like that, how does Summon Earth Elemental sound?

@Nirur: Looks good.

@Taricus: I see what you're trying to do. I can offer Lesser Vampirism, a ritual that reduces the aging process at the cost of the blood of a sentient, or Transfer Life Essence another ritual that will restore the youth of one individual at the expense of another.

@Dustan: Of course!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 11:52:07 am »

@Shadowclaw: That's not quite the spell I meant. If you particularly want to summon something like that, how does Summon Earth Elemental sound
I think I might of said the Golem was larger than what I intended..., My personal intention was that the golem would be of the size of a humanoid, not something monstrous and colossal. If the golem was of a smaller size than would it be more okay?, if not than I guess I will go with Summon Earth Elemental

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 12:05:27 pm »

How are offspring going to work? I'd assume something like each being able to train or help research, with the boost based on their skill, and less motivation and a chance of becoming antagonistic if the dynasty grows too fast?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 12:15:10 pm »

@Kashyyk: the former works. Can always try to get the greater versions once the game starts.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12