Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Archmage: The Blood of Magic  (Read 13117 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archmage: The Blood of Magic
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 12:24:54 pm »

Lewis Lumier (pronounced loom-ear)
Male
Artifact: Faey Lights
The artifact of house Lumier  are a collection of small floating semisentient lights. The number of lights is unknown, sometimes only two or three will be visible, other times two or three hundred will illuminate an entire room. The lights as a whole have a curious and playful personality, often flittering around people in the company of Lord/lady Lumier. Those who spend time in the prescience of the little lights will realize that each light has its own personal color that is its resting state. The lights can shift colors, and seem capable of producing almost color of light. They are highly influenced by the emotions of their "owner" and often help that owner  express those emotions through colorful (or not so colorful) changes in color and motion. As a default, a decent amount dance in a circle around Lord/Lady Lumier's head, giving an effect similar to a crown or a halo. Upon the death of the head of House Lumier, the lights (after they morn the passing of their owner) transfer to the heir.
Spell: Laser. It's a beam spell that can cut through enemies. (There just aren't that many light spells lol).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:29:45 pm by Roboson »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 12:27:01 pm »

@Nirur: Only the bearer of the artifact can research new spells. Amongst other things, the artifact protects the bearer from the inevitable mishaps from messing around with raw magic as well as allowing them to perceive the various flows, forms and other magical buzzwords. Any other member of the dynasty can learn existing spells and cast them safely. A healthy respect for the dynasty is instilled from a young age, so normally you won't have to worry about more than the occasional teen rebel phase.

@Roboson: Sounds good!

And including Dustan, that is seven. I'll collate everyone's details and we will begin once Dustan posts up his submission.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:28:39 pm by Kashyyk »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 12:37:49 pm »

Name: Laeve Eyohn (female)
Artifact: A bracelet with a sapphire in it's center, with curling carvings that look almost ornate, but are better described as natural. A collar or some such with a similar appearance is usually given to the preferred pet(s) of the family's current leader. The bracelet is said to invoke a greater bond between the owner and their pets, and whether or not this is true, a Wildheart cast between them will usually be stronger than average.
Spell: WildHeart-A progressive spell that, (usually) at first, lets the user see through the eyes of an animal. With experience in the spell and bondings with a particular animal, the perception expands to what is felt, thought, heard, tasted, and so on, occasionally even the magics that exist within the animal (great for research). The order in which the perceptions are gained can vary between both the animal used and the caster. Gradually, the ability to command the animal, share thoughts with it(like telepathy), and such can also be gained. In order to be cast, though, the user must be in a calm, resting position, and they lose much of their own senses, and likely cannot move on their own until they end the spell. Those experienced in the spell, though, can choose to give up a few of the animal's perceptions to give them more control and sense of their own body.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:07:09 pm by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 01:15:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 05:44:15 pm »

Dustan has dibs on the last slot, but if he doesn't make use of it by tomorrow evening I'll give it to OceanSoul. crazyabe is the least likely to get in I'm afraid.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 05:47:31 pm »

Edit: ask and you shall receive.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:49:31 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 08:41:18 pm »

:(

Hopefully 2-3 people decide they don't want to play this game before tomorrow...
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 08:47:30 pm »

Hopefully he realizes that just one more player will still be within his reasonable limits as a GM. Or, maybe, make it not first-come-first-served and base entry on well-roundedness or something.

Oh, and if you somehow get in, crazyabe, you should change your spell; it's a lot like Taricus's.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 10:44:36 pm »

/Shrug
I Took a Necromancy (General) Spell, he took Make Vampires, there is a difference.

Something he should note: when one goes first come first serve, some players immediately vanish from the game, So there is a chance he'll want to sub in one or two players.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 10:46:34 pm by crazyabe »
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 10:56:00 pm »

@Taricus: I see what you're trying to do. I can offer Lesser Vampirism, a ritual that reduces the aging process at the cost of the blood of a sentient, or Transfer Life Essence another ritual that will restore the youth of one individual at the expense of another.
@Kashyyk: the former works. Can always try to get the greater versions once the game starts.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 01:28:46 am »

Indeed, but without profiling each of my applicants, finding the ones who are more likely to drop out and refusing them will be a crapshoot. It's why wait lists exist.  Speaking of, I guess you'd both like to join it?

Anyway, I'll start this up later today.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 05:50:22 pm »

The Birth of Magic

Hesitant at first, the seven spoke the words of power that bound the souls of their lineage forever more to the Seal. Malus, once certain the layers of magic were in place, stepped towards the rift before uttering the last verses of the ritual. In a flash of blinding light, he disappears. Enveloping the rift is a large diamond, floating several feet above the ground. Magic flows and coils around it, and from them items form. A sword, a candle, a ring, even a suit of armour come into being. Each selects one of the seven standing before the seal.

As each person receives their artifact, it is as if they suddenly see the world in full definition. They can see each strand of magic surrounding them, see the patterns of their movements. In that moment of clarity they learn a truth. One gifted to them by Malus. To learn more, many years of their life will be devoted to the cause. Once the mists clear, Malus' voice is not so much heard, as felt.

Peril will befall the Seal in nine years. You must prepare.

Whether the Kingdom of Zalia waxes or wanes, the seven families must endure, for one of the many threads of fate rests upon their shoulders.

---

Magical power is a muscle, and the more you exercise it the more it grows. Each mage has a power value representing their ability to weave spells and store mana. Spells each have their own power value as well, representing how taxing they are to cast. Your mages all start with a power of one, but the artifact lends its own pool of magic to the bearer. Exercising magic for a year (be that by dungeon crawling, civil works or something else that is relevant) nets one experience. A mage may spend an amount of experience equal to their current power to increase it by one.

In order to have more spells than the one, you must develop new ones. Describe the effect you wish to generate, along with the power level you wish it to cost. More potent spells will have higher power levels, so if the effect you are after is more ambitious than the level you choose, expect it to get modified to fit. Research also takes a while. budget on one year per power level of spell.

Mages will want to develop the next generation to continue their legacy and defend the seal. As a free action a mage may reproduce with another mage, or with a non-magical NPC. The power levels of the parents will have an effect on the starting power level of the child. However, magical children require special care during their early years. An adult mage will have to take care of them for the first ten years of life. One adult may care for up to two children at once, and they do not all have to be members of the same dynasty.

You will want to pass on your knowledge to the next generation, or each other. A teacher and student must each spend a number of years equal to half the power level of a spell the teach knows, for a student to learn it. A teacher can guide the learning of two students, and they do not need to be learning the same spell.

A final note. Spells are not the only magical thing you can research. Magical theory and other useful knowledge is also available. For this turn, please decide what you will do for the next nine years, in order to prepare for whatever catastrophe threatens the Seal.

Spoiler: House Hatio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Harinus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Lucio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Rennin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Galliene (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Lumier (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Tridian (click to show/hide)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 06:14:22 pm »

Casting spells is effectively instantaneous right?

Greater Vampirism: Effectively an enhanced version of the lesser vampirism spell, the greater version is able not only to wring out extra benefit of sentient blood, but is capable of enhancing the caster physically in addition. The spell does require greater amounts of blood in exchange for this however.

Spoiler: Galliene Turn (click to show/hide)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 06:17:40 pm »

My life is dangerous, and I'm going to get started on that dynasty immediately. Anyone want to swap kids around each year? I'll take the first year, since my magic would be less useful for this first challenge anyway.

Roboson: If you're willing to give Laser Beam away, I'd like to learn it so I can do something useful during the first challenge.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 06:19:13 pm »

What kids? :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12