Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vermin Eating Frog Civ?  (Read 656 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Vermin Eating Frog Civ?
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:45:57 am »

Alright, so I have a frog-people civ for Furry Fortress.  Omnivore or Carnivore frogs just doesn't feel right.  They should be eating flies or catching birds out of the air with their tongues!  Is that a thing I could do? 

So I know that there's the tag that cats and falcons have.  I don't know if that would work on a civ, or if that's the best solution.  I'd also like for them to include vermin in their normal DF diet, making an acorn fly roast or bringing barrels of bats to the trade depot.  Maybe making some kind of vermin booze too (which is oddly enough a real thing). 

I might also do a anteater-people or something that eats ants or termites.  I'd be interested to know if I could mod the game to farm ants and termites in a useful way, as you can with honeybees. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin Eating Frog Civ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 11:58:29 am »

I dont see why not, if youre willing to work out a few things.  the tongue attack is likely the biggest challenge, but dfhack might be able to do ranged grapples.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 12:08:55 pm »

You can add VERMIN_HUNTER to sapients, but this will cause problems with fort-playable races, since hunting vermin overrides other tasks; your frogs will interrupt work to chase prey every time they see one appear.

A less troublesome option would be to give them GOBBLE_VERMIN_CLASS:GENERAL_POISION.  They won't chase vermin, but they should eat any creature they happen to walk over, which I believe will sate their hunger.  Not sure if it will trigger the bad thought "was forced to eat vermin".

You can probably make vermin normally edible with a reaction that takes a captured vermin creature in an animal trap and converts it into a meat item.

You can make any vermin creature hiveable by modifying their raws, and make them produce any kind of item you want, the same way bees produce honey, wax, and jelly.  It's pretty flexible, I've even seen a mod that made tiny slave labor camps that produced clothes and tools.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 12:50:02 pm »

I'll give GOBBLE_VERMIN_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON a shot.  The first version of Furry Fortress had a duck civ with [GOBBLE_VERMIN_CLASS:EDIBLE_GROUND_BUG], and they gobbled a lot of vermin in adventure mode, but I didn't notice anything special happening in fortress mode. 

Do you remember which mod had the slave hives?  I'd be interested to give that a look. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.