Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get a second part time weekend only job (already have a job)  (Read 1003 times)

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I work during the week, but need a second job. Probably nothing fancy or nice.

How do I get someone to hire me when I'm "overqualified?" I just want like a store clerk or something job. This isn't a main thing for me. You'd think whoever is looking for part time weekend help would want somebody who has a good record of attendance etc, but I can also see them wondering why on earth I would want to work a part time weekend gig....

Any ideas, please?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get a second part time weekend only job (already have a job)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 02:16:46 pm »

Nerf your CV if overqualification is a problem
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 05:40:31 pm »

That's actually good advice and I appreciate it.

Only issue is, I haven't had any experience not related to my normal job in forever. That's not a bad thing, except it'd be kind hard to get hired for anything outside of it, even things I'm "overqualified" for.

Ideas?

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 07:45:57 am »

Visit the shop yourself and explain your situation. It sounds a bit weird when someone is looking for a weekend job, but you probably have your reasons for it and those by themselves should probably be enough to convince anyone. I don't know how things like minimum wage are handled in your country, but that could also be a reason why they wouldn't want to hire you either. A 16 year old in my country has a lower minimum wage than a 25 year old.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:37:36 am »

Just lay down that you need extra income, that's why you're there. That usually does it. What matters is you find a place where your lack of experience and limited hours work with the business.

So like, restaurants needing servers always need help but they also like employees who can bounce around the week to cover shifts. So that might not work out so well.

Gas station clerk is probably pretty doable though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 10:49:30 am »

Music venues / dicotheques usually look for bar-aids in the weekends as well. What's a bar-aid, you ask? Those are the invisible people that snatch your empty glass behind your back when you could have sworn there still was a sip in there, and wash the glasses. Some call it apprentice bartender, but that's usually wishful thinking.
If you can find a place that shares the tips equally amongst all staff after closing hours, it can be a really nice side income.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:51:38 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 07:17:41 pm »

I don't have any advice, but good luck.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.