Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sword & Story [SG]  (Read 956 times)

DoopUltimate007

• Bay Watcher
  • The Spirit of Seven.
    • View Profile
    • My totally-feminist tumblr.
Sword & Story [SG]
« on: March 25, 2017, 02:30:09 pm »

Everyone has a story. Throughout time and space, every multiverse, every universe, every world has its own unique population with its own unique people with stories to tell. Yours is one of these stories. You are Hero D. Protagonist, and you are an adventurer!

What a beautiful day. You've gotten used to the idea of being an adventurer. Sitting in a forest, you soak in the sunlight and enjoy the cool spring breeze. With nothing but a book and your water skin filled with rich spring water, not a peep could be heard, save for the bandits that have gathered behind some trees. They think you'll be an easy mark.

They were wrong!

You glance towards your ...

> short and longsword
> bow and quiver
> wandstaff and wizard hat
> wrist and shin wrappings
> focus gem

...ready to snatch them up when this goes heavy. These bandits aren't professionals, but amateurs. This'll be easy, you think with a slight grin.

My last (and first) attempt at making a purely adventuring quest ended poorly with timing. Had to get back on the road. With time off and a better sense of direction, I'll be trying again. This time with my own persistent setting. A mish mash of childhood daydreams, books I've read, video games I've played, and just straight up original creative flavour.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Sword & Story [SG]
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 02:38:05 pm »

> Bow and quiver. They may be behind the trees now, but the second they step out, we'll get the first strike!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 03:06:42 pm »

Such an abysmal lack of mental discipline, of course you sensed them coming. It may not be the finest focus gem ever gathered, but it will be more than enough to deal with these discordant pests.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 03:20:54 pm »

Such an abysmal lack of mental discipline, of course you sensed them coming. It may not be the finest focus gem ever gathered, but it will be more than enough to deal with these discordant pests.
+1
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

DoopUltimate007

• Bay Watcher
  • The Spirit of Seven.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 05:27:47 pm »

You snatch your bow and quiver up right as the bandit leader makes himself 'known'. You're no stranger to the woods; you smelled these jokers before you sensed them. Looks like the rugged life has given you keen senses. Your bow is already at the ready before he's fully from behind the tree.

"Can't say I've seen you around here before." He's dressed in baggy black clothing and has his right hand touching a pistol. You guess that his boys aren't too different.

"I'm a drifter", you reply. "I was just leaving."

"Oh, you were, but not before paying taxes. My gang owns this part of the woods. Hand over all your gold and you can get outta here with your everything else in tact."

> Hand over all your gold. More money, more problems.
> Refuse and try talking it out. Maybe you can convince him to chill out.
> Refuse and retaliate.
> Refuse and abscond. You can outrun these clowns no problem.
> What do?

((I see more votes came for the psychic class but the update was already being mulled over, and the other crap written around that. But fret not! You guys can still see your votes manifest in the form of enemies, NPCs and even allies. All is not lost!))

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 06:45:05 pm »

Take cover! Shoot  back, delay, summon the woodland critters, speak to the fish!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 06:52:42 pm »

Hold up hold up, people voted for focus gem twice, and only archery once. Why did you go archery? The reason I didn't vote earlier was that the one I wanted, focus gem, already had a majority.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 07:02:10 pm »

He already had the turn written up. *shrug*

>Refuse and retaliate.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 07:36:17 pm »

Yep, it was all explained, but we get to meet a psychic later, and then we just need to have them body-snatch us with mad possession-voodoo and we get to run a psychic!
Read the First Post!

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 07:38:25 pm »

> Refuse and retaliate.
Max avatar size is 80x80

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 08:20:41 pm »

I find it Sad that only the first vote was counted.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

DoopUltimate007

• Bay Watcher
  • The Spirit of Seven.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 10:14:51 pm »

"Don't be stupid. Just hand the sack over here and you can be on your way. Why don't you drop that bow? I get kind of nervous when people point things at me."

You stand your ground. He's not getting one shilling from you. "No."

"Tsk tsk. Bad idea." For some reason, the bandit thinks he'll get the jump on you and pull his gun out even though your bow is already trained on him. When he reaches for it, he gets an arrow to the chest, and consequently plops to the ground. Another arrow is already prepared and ready for the other clowns who decide to make themselves known.

One of them gets cute and tries to rush you from behind. You quickly turn 180 degrees and he gets an arrow to his throat. He's not immediately dead, as the gurgling sounds would suggest, but death isn't too far off. As for the rest -- about seven of them -- they hesitate before making their moves. They clearly have more thinking power than their boss or the clown choking on his own blood.

"So, I've clearly handled two of you no problem, the first being your boss. A word of advice? Messing with an adventurer isn't a good idea, especially when that adventurer is me."

They seem pretty shook by you. Archers are known for being quick on the draw. Even quicker than some gunslingers. You are particularly skilled. Much to learn, as you never affiliated with any hunter or druidic guilds, but for a self-taught marksman you're very formidable. That said, these guys aren't entirely spent, and can still book their one-way tickets to redshirt-dom (that is, try you even though some of their boys have been dealt with), which isn't a problem save for the work you'll have to do looting their corpses.

> Eh, kill them. The less scum trawling for adventurers the better.
> Reverse the roles and rob them. Leave them to their devices afterwards.
> Shake your head in pity and leave the forest. They got the message.
> What do?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 12:45:27 am »

Reverse, and where did you get the term "redshirt" from?
Mighty suspicious hero we've infested here...
Read the First Post!

DoopUltimate007

• Bay Watcher
  • The Spirit of Seven.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 05:32:16 pm »

"You all", you bark with a strange level of authority in your voice. "I want all of your crap. Including those black costumes you're wearing. That also includes your accumilated gold from robbing those poor adventurers before me."

"B-but that means-"

"Yes. You'll be naked, save for your undergarments. You can keep those." You shudder sarcastically. Remember, you smelled them before you saw them. They aren't the cleanest bunch. You'll have to find a mage to perform a cleaning spell or an inn to wash their clothes at. "Well? Let's go!"

They all grumble as they produce all of their stolen items. Gold pieces, clothing, and some jewelery. "Is that everything?" You don't take chances with bandits. One of them mutters something under their breath and reveals a silver amulet. "What's that?"

"Eh, some amulet or something. Nicked it from a swordsman. He seemed kinda relieved we stole it. Strange. But yeah. That'll earn you a pound or two of gold at least. We was gonna sell it for some drink. Boss uh--"

You sigh and roll your eyes. "Personal problem", you grumble, cutting the bandit off. You have to admit, the seven of them standng there in nothing but their intimates is pretty satisfying. It's too bad all their victims weren't here to see this.

"It'll get chilly come nightfall. It's spring, but this neck of the woods gets cold round that time. How're we gonna stay warm?"

"Go to a fire and steal the flame. Farewell."

With that line dropped, you head for the city. Your short frame is almost totally obscured by the pile of goods you carry on your person. To the onlookers in town, you look like a mountain of cloth with a coinsack attached to it. You can't really see where you're going, which is why you don't realise you're in ...

> Ashcroft. Primarily a fortress city that has become something like a beacon proving humanity's excellence. It is run by a royal family, and boasts a relatively low crime rate. Culturally it is pretty bland, but at least it is home to many guilds to keep the citizens entertained.
> Cair, City of Coin. With the Khafirs to the east establishing themselves as both a nomadic and merchantile people, the west needed a trade city of its own. Cair is that city. It is home to the 'allied' races -- humans, elves, and dwarves all co-exist here. The occasional visit or pressence from other races isn't uncommon enough to warrant discomfort. Money comes first in this city, as is evidenced by its past where it was once known as the City of Thieves.
> Ostgaard. This is a 100% guild city, through and through. The Hunters' Guild, Archers' Guild, Mages' Guild, Adventurers' Guild, Monk Guild -- seemingly every guild has a pressence here. Known as a good place to get drunk, get laid and get good work, Ostgaard was founded by nomadic humans generations ago, and became a hidden gem for the travel-weary to seek pleasure and recharge before returing to a life of quests.

... and when you realise that, you decide to ...

> head to the nearest inn. You need to wash these clothes and you can use some rest anyway.
> visit an artificer and ask about the pendant. It has a strangely brilliant shine. It might even be magical!
> look for some quick work. You have plenty coin, but you can get plenty more!
> get something to eat (and drink)!
> What do?

((I'm pretty sure redshirt refers to being an 'extra' in a fictional work. Not sure how that relates to...))

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 06:58:00 pm »

((Yes, it does. I was wondering where our protagonist picked up trekkie terms from(you never know when it might be a clue about those portals that spit out random phrases that translate into a profound insult in the local dialect.), but I will just enjoy the style from now on.))

Caryin' our stuff to Cair inn.
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2