Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Design and Border Control  (Read 1039 times)

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Design and Border Control
« on: March 25, 2017, 09:15:56 pm »

Will this work for funneling invaders and traders into the castle? I read that channeling the edge of the map will force caravans to only spawn where they have enough space for the whole wagon. Also, will invaders follow the same logic? If you need more details ask and ill reply.

Example; C is channel, E is map edge. If entire map was covered by the channel 1 tile from the edge except in one place. My understanding is that wagons from traders would only spawn at this single 3 wide opening because its the only valid path for them. But with invaders, would they be able to spawn along the entire edge or do they also need space to spawn in similar to wagons?

....CE
....CE
......E
......E
......E
....CE
....CE

image is of fort design example
http://imgur.com/a/pzezR
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 10:13:31 pm by Pkassad »
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Design and Border Control
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 11:56:16 pm »

Will this work for funneling invaders and traders into the castle? I read that channeling the edge of the map will force caravans to only spawn where they have enough space for the whole wagon. Also, will invaders follow the same logic? If you need more details ask and ill reply.

Example; C is channel, E is map edge. If entire map was covered by the channel 1 tile from the edge except in one place. My understanding is that wagons from traders would only spawn at this single 3 wide opening because its the only valid path for them. But with invaders, would they be able to spawn along the entire edge or do they also need space to spawn in similar to wagons?

....CE
....CE
......E
......E
......E
....CE
....CE

image is of fort design example
http://imgur.com/a/pzezR

Back in 0.28.40d invaders would spawn the whole map edge in that situation.  Haven't built a fort like that since then.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:44:32 am »

My one attempt at this (0.40.X) had the trade liaison spawn at the edge between two trees, so I had to send a wood cutter to release the bugger.

There are hordes of bugs involving issues with caravans failing to enter the map, so I'd advice caution when trying to manipulate that.

I've also tried to build a wall 10 or so tiles from the edge with raising drawbridge entrances to control access, and it resulted in an increase of the already high (0.40.X) rate of invaders failing to path to the fortress at all.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 03:48:02 am »

Seeing as there are now warnings saying cut all the trees within three steps of the edge, as otherwise the caravan might mis-spawn and never arrive again, I'm guessing that this landscaping plan no longer works like it once did.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 10:47:57 am »

I decided to do some testing. It would seem that it is possible for the caravans to only spawn in the opening, though, with only 4 tests it may not be the case in all circumstances. Non-wagon creatures could still spawn on the map edges but they would make their way around to the opening. See picture: http://imgur.com/a/WMnbK

Does anyone have suggestions to make the map edge unspawnable except for a single opening?

edit: 3 wide path works with traders test shows: http://imgur.com/a/rgWnU
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:02:24 am by Pkassad »
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 01:07:15 pm »

I build a paved road to the edge, with either pylons (single walls) or cage traps every third tile along both sides of the road so that wagons can't path into the fort except along the road.  Restricting the edge is trickier, but trees eventually grow close enough to the map edge near the road so that wagons only appear in pretty close proximity.

Similar to Pkassad's results, it's not proof that it can't fail, but it has never failed for me.  Then again that's just wagons.  I don't usually bother trying to restrict anything else.  My current fort has no running water that I've found, so they dug a bunch of canals running from all the murky pools into a moat which then drains into the purification plant/plumbing system.  I went with canals instead of pipes because I needed the ice for expansion, but I've thought about developing the canals further into a defensive path.  With it all ice for four months of the year it probably wouldn't be worth it, but it's still fun to think about every now and then.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 11:01:52 pm »

Paved roads (3-tile wide) running to the edge are my preference as well.  They can even be put flush up against the edge to provide a 5-tile wide safe spot for wagons to spawn on. 

I'm on a heavily wooded map, so I needed to carve some sort of path through the trees.