Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your first "winning" screen  (Read 2422 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Your first "winning" screen
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:04:55 am »

So just had my "your strength has been broken screen" and it feels awesome. I've been playing already for quite a lot time and it's my first time, but it actually does feel like winning when you lose epicly in dwarf fortress. So do you want to share your first "victory" story?

My story:
In the end of the second year undead visited Crescentink and it seemed that I forgot to link up my bridges that led to trap maze, though I still had doors which I locked. In spring I decided to take things into my own hands and build an awesome weapon trap that I thought would at least weaken the horde, especially cause it was at the end of the weapon maze. When I opened my fortress to them I didn't think the zombies would path around the maze and only go through the single weapon trap which lasted just for the first 10 enemies. Than I could have locked more doors, but forgot I decided it was time for the last fight between dwarfs and undead. The last person standing was the mayor, sitting on a stairwell with a halberd he took from one of the goblin undead-warriors. He was lying there bleeding out and taking down 10 before dying with a named weapon lying on his knees. Pure awesomeness...
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Your first "winning" screen
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:32:46 am »

my first "victory" screen was actually rather bad, i was in the process of draining a river when my dwarves decided that the water level was low enough to walk across the still flowing river instead of using the bridge i had made, so all my dwarves got swept away by the river and got drowned at the bottom of the drainage hole.
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:37:23 am »

I first achieved glorious victory the very first game I played.  My dwarves had decided to embark in an evil biome of some sort, I can't recall which, and were every single one slaughtered within the first week by a skeletal mountain goat. 

The second victory took a few months to achieve, and taught me several valuable lessons about water pressure.

I've been hooked ever since.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 02:28:54 pm »

My first experience with uncontrollable/unavoidable victory.

Upon unpause, an alligator sprinted out of the nearby river and started dismembering my expedition leader in front of everyone. They fought and ended up in the river, which froze and killed them both at once.

This event and the local weather resulted in another dwarf eventually going berserk, and the whole fort violently killed itself within a year.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 03:17:20 pm »

My first victory screen was a fluke.
I used dfhack and force embarked into the ocean.
Everyone surprisingly spawned in a wall and died.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 03:18:45 pm »

My first victory screen was a fluke.
I used dfhack and force embarked into the ocean.
Everyone surprisingly spawned in a wall and died.

That's quite unlikely. I'm impressed.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

McTinius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 01:17:11 pm »

I don't remember exactly in which ordrer they happened, but the four first were mass-dehydration, mass-starvation, not knowing clothing rots away and undead horse hair. Probably in that order.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 01:19:50 pm »

It wasn't my first but a fer versions ago I spent a good amount of time customizing my dwarves and embark, finding just the right spot, etc. After probably half an hour I finally hit the button to embark, having planned my fort out on a few sheets of paper. The instant I unpaused my entire embark was covered in magma. It only lasted a few seconds before I got the 'victory' screen.

I was somewhat surprised, but not all that much. I still don't know exactly what happened. I reclaimed the site and there was no magma.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 01:37:10 pm »

My first victory also resulted in my current fascination, purely scientific interest, obsession with Good/Evil Biomes and their unique inhabitants.  Still rather a newbie, I embarked in a temperate forest, not realizing that my site also contained a serene plains.  I sent my fisher dwarf to the river for some dinner while everyone else hauled the supplies to a nearby hill.  Then I saw a fish icon pop up.  "Success!" I thought.  I watched as the fish icon moved onto the bank, then overlapped my dwarf icon, and then both moved into the river, and were gone :-\

That's fine, I still have 6 Dwarves left.  I enabled hunting on one, and sent him off to find some food.  Much to my surprise, a unicorn appears!  The hunter fires several bolts, all missing, and the unicorn charges.  My brave Dwarf side-steps the charge, then proceeds to smack the unicorn upside the head with his crossbow before planting a bolt right between the eyes.  "Excellent!" I think, we'll be having unicorn biscuits for a month.  That was when 4 of his buddies showed up, and my Fortress quickly ended from a combination of stabbing and tantrum.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 03:35:58 pm »

First half a dozen or so forts ended in starvation or dehydration while i was trying to figure out how to keep my dwarves alive. After finally conquering the agriculture system i established a pretty long running fort. It featured a walled in area with a river and a long entrance way. Soon we had goblins showing up, i made a little militia and ordered them to use pikes. I didnt realize that 1; i had no pikes and 2; dwarves cant wield pikes effectively. My dwarves were fighting unarmed.

The casualty rate was attrocious, but we drove the goblins away. I recruited more soldiers and the next year we had a repeat, this time the goblins brought beak dog platoons and crossbowmen. Again, we drove away the first attackers. But one platoon of beak dogs was approaching from the other end of the map, and while my dwarves chased the first wave away the beak dog riders charged right into my base and down the stairs, slaughtering a few civilians. By the time my militia came back there were maybe half a dozen deaths, but again they defeated the goblins.

The fortress was soon overtaken by a massive tantrum spiral, and i even gave up and tried to end it all by flooding the place. Unfortunately a couple cripples and a child on the surface didnt drown, and neither did a particularly magical baby deep underground that seemed fine with the water situation. But its okay, because then the goblins came back. We surrendered to them.

And that was the first time i gave up on a fort.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 03:43:05 pm »

Mine was were-beast outbreak that killed my dwarves one by one. There was then a goblin siege.

There was only one child left in the end, bailed after that.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 08:10:16 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 07:29:48 am »

not my first or last, but the one I laugh about the most...

The ocean-side embark with reanimating and husking weather, where the dwarfs hurried off the frozen ocean and dug down, managing to build a 3x3 roofed tower with a door.

Things went bad in the middle of trading with the first caravan and some dwarfs were abandoned on the surface. The fall migrants died in the undead swarm and an Herbalist, water buffalo, and goat were husked and emerged as the victors. That trio roamed the surface for four years, killing caravans and leaving lesser undead. Five dwarfs huddled below with a couple of turkeys and worked and trained. They had no pickaxe. No more migrants arrived. A goblin siege arrived but there were only 16 of them and they only killed the goat and disembowelled the Herbalist. While the goblins were being killed, an attempt to get a pickaxe was made. Some undead notice, three more dwarfs are lost, no pickaxe obtained. Two dwarfs huddled in the caves. "Interrupted by a turkey"  What? oh crap, a turkey died of old age!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 01:19:53 pm »

Many versions ago, I was playing with a mind to do a "narrative log".  Like a written Let's Play, but done from the perspective of a manager living within the fortress.  Every time something of significance would happen, I would pause the game, note the in-game date, and write a description of it, along with my feelings on the matter.

We had settled in a mountain bordering a swamp.  There was supposedly shallow metals here, and iron somewhere.  A little hill in the swamp was right next to the steep mountain side, so I built a small tower between the hill and the mountain, then built a pair of drawbridges from the tower to the hill and the mountainside, then built a big killbox dug into the side of the mountain, defended with ballista.  Fought off a couple of goblin raids, started getting desperate for iron because I knew the attacks would just escalate.  Stepped up my exploratory mining program trying to find it. 

That was when we uncovered the glowing pit. 

My manager made the decision to order all dwarfs to abandon fortress, lest the fruits of our digging come to slaughter us all. 

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 01:26:39 pm »

I was procrastinating hard during my turn with a fortress in the museum world, so I just rushed to the adamantium bits and let demons loose everywhere.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: [1] 2