Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan won't leave!  (Read 3135 times)

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan won't leave!
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:51:17 am »

Hello all,

Did some googling and can't find the answer. Like the title says, I have a dwarven caravan that won't leave. I've checked the usual suspects and there are no trees or traps blocking access. Haven't actually built anything since the caravan arrived...

Depot Access command shows green route from the depot to all four edges of the map.

Already got the "merchants have embarked message". What am I missing? (I'm sure it's something simple I've forgotten...)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan won't leave!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:02:26 am »

Have you attacked them or has anything attacked them?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:31:02 am »

Not that it would help me to draw any conclusions, but it might help others:
How far has your caravan gone?
- You said you've received the message that they have embarked.
- Have you seen them collect their stuff from the trade depot (if you weren't watching, is their stuff there, or is it packed up)?
- Have they started moving, and if so, how far?

- Along similar lines to Snow Dwarf: Have you had any fights with merchants that has left one of them dead or incapacitated (I'd look at the units killed list as well)?
- Is any merchant locked up somewhere (I'd probably use the units list and zoom to to each and every one of them)?
- Did you get a trade liaison, and, if so, has a meeting taken place?

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 02:31:23 pm »

None of the merchant/caravan units have been attacked or killed. They announced they had embarked, but, graphically, it appears as if all the items I traded to them are still lying on the Depot. So it doesn't appear they've packed up everything yet. They haven't moved at all.

I did check on the location of all of them, and all are on the Depot tiles save one soldier, who is about 4-5 tiles away. I did have the trade liaison meeting and the liaison already left the map.

Thanks for any thoughts you have!

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 08:56:20 pm »

To make this stranger, while the dwarven caravan was still stuck in my Depot, an elven caravan came, unloaded, traded, loaded and left...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 10:50:41 pm »

That is bizarre, usually they won't double up on trade depots ever ever. They used to take a very long time to load goods if you didn't trade any bins with them, leading some people to make several trade depots for different caravans, as the humans could still be packing up while the dwarves arrived next season, and so on. But back then, they would refuse to use a trade depot another group of traders were already "using", thus multiple trade depots would sometimes fix the problem...

I think you may have found a genuine new bug, this time.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:00:48 am »

Yeah? Well that's a first for me! How does one go about reporting such a thing? I will probably wait until I have enough time to make it to next year and see if the next dwarven caravan comes or if the dwarven traders are permanently stuck, or if it's doing something else.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 07:29:25 am »

In one of my forts caravans tended to get stuck on the depot for years because some merchants decided to take a shortcut through the moat and couldn't figure how to get out again. Have you checked if there are any caravan members stuck in odd corners of the map?

In my current fort the dwarven caravan has been crawling around the map for two years now, after some kea men flying overhead scattered their pack animals in panic. On the plus side I now have an additional defence force as the caravan guards wander around killing harmful critters.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:33:39 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 11:23:15 am »

That is bizarre, usually they won't double up on trade depots ever ever. They used to take a very long time to load goods if you didn't trade any bins with them, leading some people to make several trade depots for different caravans, as the humans could still be packing up while the dwarves arrived next season, and so on. But back then, they would refuse to use a trade depot another group of traders were already "using", thus multiple trade depots would sometimes fix the problem...

Playing with the Masterwork mod, which can add a lot of different trading civilizations, it is easy to get multiple trader caravans in a single depot. It might not have been the case in previous versions but at this point the base engine is certainly capable of handling multiple trade caravans per depot. And I mean multiple active trade caravans, not just one unloading while another loads. You can select which caravan to trade with. That's not something a mod can change.
Multiple trade depots are still bugged, last time I checked. You can get the wagon based traders going to one while the animal based traders go to another, making it very difficult if not impossible to trade.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 03:19:05 am »

Playing with the Masterwork mod, which can add a lot of different trading civilizations, it is easy to get multiple trader caravans in a single depot. It might not have been the case in previous versions but at this point the base engine is certainly capable of handling multiple trade caravans per depot. And I mean multiple active trade caravans, not just one unloading while another loads. You can select which caravan to trade with. That's not something a mod can change.
Multiple trade depots are still bugged, last time I checked. You can get the wagon based traders going to one while the animal based traders go to another, making it very difficult if not impossible to trade.

The workaround for that problem was to make one innaccessible (drawbridge) while the other was in use. And vice versa. It's not an issue in vanilla any more.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!