Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick question: Non fire/magama-safe artefact anvil use  (Read 573 times)

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick question: Non fire/magama-safe artefact anvil use
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:41:59 pm »

IIRC if an artefact (anvil in this case) is created from an inappropriate (non-heat/magma/dragonfire-resistant) material, it's still automatically indestructible due to it's artefact nature

So is there any reason not to place it in a functioning workshop? The Wiki says no, but doesn't go into any detail as to why..

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question: Non fire/magama-safe artefact anvil use
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:20:07 pm »

I don't see why you couldn't use it in a coal-fired workshop, but I would recommend keeping it away from magma.

Also, congratulations! There is a theory that the First Anvil was made in a mood, as you cannot make an anvil without already having an anvil. What was it made from?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:45:01 pm »

Don't artifacts just burn forever?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 03:21:14 am »

I believe an anvil has to be magma safe to be used as an anvil, regardless if they're indestructible or not. An eternally burning artifact only happens if the artifact is made of a material that can burn, so there's a middle ground for non magma safe non burning materials (like many kinds of rock). There's been talk about melting, though.

I believe you can get mooded (non magma safe) metal anvils that, sadly, still require an anvil to produce. The First Anvil, however, would have to have been mooded in a shop different from a forge.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:46:37 pm »

What was it made from?
Silver, IIRC - it's not in my current game, but reading a different thread reminded me to ask the question..

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:53:44 pm »

Don't artifacts just burn forever?

They do. I nearly lost a fort to that once.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:42:11 pm »

IIRC if an artefact (anvil in this case) is created from an inappropriate (non-heat/magma/dragonfire-resistant) material, it's still automatically indestructible due to it's artefact nature

Artifacts are *not* indestructible; they are *immune to damage*. The distinction is important because there are some forms of destruction (e.g. melting and atom-smashing) that bypass the "damage" counter and directly destroy artifacts.

So is there any reason not to place it in a functioning workshop?

You most likely cannot build a magma forge with a non-magma-safe anvil, but, if you could, it would be inadvisable since the heat might destroy your artifact.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 09:45:55 am »

Tks Loci, for that clarification: that was exactly what I was after :)