Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Locking doors on private bedrooms  (Read 5473 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Locking doors on private bedrooms
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 03:51:01 pm »

I can see that. The locks produced by humans would be simpler and heavier, even if built of the same quality of material. The dwarfs could produce better locks out of comparable material, and create them for a larger variety of uses.

Not necessarily.  The thing here is that the dwarves do not need many locks since the nature of how they live minimises the number of locks needed, as they can lock the door of a whole district and the rooms in that district will be secured.  Humans on the other hand have a load of houses along an open street, which means every single house has to have it's own lock in order to be secure. 

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 07:52:27 pm »

I can see that. The locks produced by humans would be simpler and heavier, even if built of the same quality of material. The dwarfs could produce better locks out of comparable material, and create them for a larger variety of uses.

Not necessarily.  The thing here is that the dwarves do not need many locks since the nature of how they live minimises the number of locks needed, as they can lock the door of a whole district and the rooms in that district will be secured.  Humans on the other hand have a load of houses along an open street, which means every single house has to have it's own lock in order to be secure. 
And the difference between having dwarfs with locks on each bedroom verse humans with each house?

And what is the relation to.....
I am not talking about the capacities of the individual dwarf, I am talking about the efficiency of the whole's entities locksmithing reactions.  Because of the overall societal situation being so different in regards to how dwarves live the tech level is going to be skewed so that some techs are far more advanced than others, that in turn effects a whole raft of factors which determine availability of the locks, that is what I was talking about rather than how advanced they are *as* locks.

The topic was about locking/barring doors on private bedrooms for dwarf safety, and the topic went into having keys or being able to bar doors, and into lock complexity, and seems to be about "dwarfs can make anything better than humans".

I like the idea that the dwarfs in a state of paranoia/fear could bar/lock the door from the inside when they are in their own room. This seems within easy reach of current code and would let terrified dwarfs express their fear.

I also like the idea of all door-locking requiring a dwarf to run over to the door to lock it, because the current system is a bit exploitable.

I don't like the idea of keys because there are far too many hazards down that road.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2017, 12:14:45 am »

I reckon in a world of locked bedroom doors, the 1000 year old vampire with 900 kills to his name has probably figured out how to pick the lock by now. Or just knock...
Not necessarily. Individual bedrooms with doors are a luxury few among the peasantry seem able to afford. In most of the villages I have visited in adventure mode, everyone just kips down in one of several common rooms.

There's a dissonance between fortress mode and normal people. Fortress dwarves can be drowning in goods within a couple of years, whereas generations-old "townies" are item poor. It's a plot-hole but perhaps a necessary one to maintain a playable game in both modes.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2017, 03:49:20 pm »

And the difference between having dwarfs with locks on each bedroom verse humans with each house?

And what is the relation to.....
I am not talking about the capacities of the individual dwarf, I am talking about the efficiency of the whole's entities locksmithing reactions.  Because of the overall societal situation being so different in regards to how dwarves live the tech level is going to be skewed so that some techs are far more advanced than others, that in turn effects a whole raft of factors which determine availability of the locks, that is what I was talking about rather than how advanced they are *as* locks.

The topic was about locking/barring doors on private bedrooms for dwarf safety, and the topic went into having keys or being able to bar doors, and into lock complexity, and seems to be about "dwarfs can make anything better than humans".

I like the idea that the dwarfs in a state of paranoia/fear could bar/lock the door from the inside when they are in their own room. This seems within easy reach of current code and would let terrified dwarfs express their fear.

I also like the idea of all door-locking requiring a dwarf to run over to the door to lock it, because the current system is a bit exploitable.

I don't like the idea of keys because there are far too many hazards down that road.

The difference is that dwarves do not need to have locks on their rooms because provided there is a lock covering the tunnel leading into the bedroom area which they have the key too, their room is safe.  With humans they have to have a lock for each house because the houses are openly accessible from the street.  In a word, the manner that dwarves live in makes them inherently safer than humans owing to the scarcity of entrance/exit points. 

This changes the whole set of priorities, basically humans are highly motivated to develop means of mass-producing locks since they need many, many more of them than the dwarves do.  Though I guess if the humans all live in a fortified compound then the result is similar to how it is for dwarves, but that is not how we 'expect' humans to live. 

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2017, 06:14:44 pm »

Okay, so you are saying that all dwarfs have some lock further down the hall to protect them? Mine don't!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2017, 01:25:44 pm »

Okay, so you are saying that all dwarfs have some lock further down the hall to protect them? Mine don't!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All those corridor endings you have.  You only actually need to install 3 locked doors around the central staircase and then you can protect everybody's rooms on that level.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 02:43:33 pm »

Every dwarf should be able to lock their own door, because every dwarf has the right to sleep peacefully in their room, without a visit from Urist McSockClaimer, Urist McEngraver, or Urist McVampire.

And Urist McSpiderHater says he absolutely needs to have a lock because he cannot sleep. He says his neighbor, Urist McSpiderLover, intentionally walks by his bedroom door with "Blood-sucka" the giant cave spider.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2017, 10:34:01 am »

Every dwarf should be able to lock their own door, because every dwarf has the right to sleep peacefully in their room, without a visit from Urist McSockClaimer, Urist McEngraver, or Urist McVampire.

And Urist McSpiderHater says he absolutely needs to have a lock because he cannot sleep. He says his neighbor, Urist McSpiderLover, intentionally walks by his bedroom door with "Blood-sucka" the giant cave spider.

We are talking about keys (and proper locks), not bar-locking rooms when we are present.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2017, 10:02:33 am »

We are talking about keys (and proper locks), not bar-locking rooms when we are present.
All keyed locks involve bars. Modern locks move a very short bar, but it is also a bar.

The OP didn't mention a need for a key, they said
If a dwarf has their own bedroom, and there is a door on it, and they are sleeping there, they should be able to lock the door. This would help provide a much better defense against vampires.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2017, 11:23:43 am »

If a dwarf has their own bedroom, and there is a door on it, and they are sleeping there, they should be able to lock the door. This would help provide a much better defense against vampires.
Just to confirm, does locking doors currently stop vampires? I don't have a save with vampires handy to check (fortunately, I suppose).

It wouldn't be too hard to handle the locking part with DFHack, although keys would be something Toady would have to add.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3]