Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Locking doors on private bedrooms  (Read 5459 times)

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Locking doors on private bedrooms
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:55:30 pm »

If a dwarf has their own bedroom, and there is a door on it, and they are sleeping there, they should be able to lock the door. This would help provide a much better defense against vampires.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
Re: Locking doors on private bedrooms
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 11:18:48 pm »

Yeah, setting it where dwarf only doors. This could be useful for other things like segergating areas for certain dwarves.
To the beer!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 11:44:24 pm »

I reckon in a world of locked bedroom doors, the 1000 year old vampire with 900 kills to his name has probably figured out how to pick the lock by now. Or just knock...

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 11:58:29 pm »

I reckon in a world of locked bedroom doors, the 1000 year old vampire with 900 kills to his name has probably figured out how to pick the lock by now. Or just knock...
Not necessarily. Individual bedrooms with doors are a luxury few among the peasantry seem able to afford. In most of the villages I have visited in adventure mode, everyone just kips down in one of several common rooms.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:02:01 am »

Not necessarily. Individual bedrooms with doors are a luxury few among the peasantry seem able to afford. In most of the villages I have visited in adventure mode, everyone just kips down in one of several common rooms.
Villages yes, but every worldgen dwarf fortress has individual bedrooms. And inventing locked doors might invite something of a paradigm shift in human peasant thinking too.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 03:06:53 pm »

Bedrooms do not exist in human settlements.  The same 'problem' exists in hillocks and mountain halls, but what is the deal?  Lots of things that ought to be there, wells, spoons, storehouses, shops maybe, fireplaces etc; they are not there.  I think the present Adventure Mode sites are ultra-minimalist because that would make it easier for various cool stuff to be added in I guess once we get to that point in the game, though I do not know enough about programming DF to know. 

Villages yes, but every worldgen dwarf fortress has individual bedrooms. And inventing locked doors might invite something of a paradigm shift in human peasant thinking too.

Should we not actually have to make the locks and install them on our doors rather than them automatically being there, also there is the tricky problem of keys being needed realistically.  Dwarf Fortresses have bedrooms basically because retired player fortresses have bedrooms, I think it is an afterthought and they aren't half buggy.  One of the funny things is that only historical characters are placed in bedrooms, but everyone non-historical you speak to becomes a historical character automatically, which means that if you speak to somebody ordinary, offload the site and then return you often have to search through vast hallways of bedrooms to find them.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:37 pm »

Keys? Why keys? Just have a chunk of four-b-two you slot into the back of the door to prevent it opening any more. It doesn't need to be a key to lock the door. Any peasant can slot a bit of wood across the door so that it can't open any more.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 04:18:07 pm »

Vampires are not all that smart. If they were, they would have figured out by now that they only draw attention to themselves by falsely accusing someone else of their crimes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 02:30:15 am »

And inventing locked doors might invite something of a paradigm shift in human peasant thinking too.

Doors to tombs are already locked

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:47:21 am »

Keys? Why keys? Just have a chunk of four-b-two you slot into the back of the door to prevent it opening any more. It doesn't need to be a key to lock the door. Any peasant can slot a bit of wood across the door so that it can't open any more.

That is still a lock though, with a key, ablait a more primitive one than I had in mind. 

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 03:07:56 am »

That is still a lock though, with a key, ablait a more primitive one than I had in mind.
There are advantages to this primitive method, though. You don't need to make (or find) something that could get lost, like a key. You could just bring a piece of wood into the room, and use that to "lock" the door.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 03:09:48 pm »

I vote for the player having to make locks separately, no key (or just an implied/imaginary one). Cost: 1 mechanism. It could be a modification done in the mechanic's workshop, costing 1 door and one mechanism, with higher quality results being harder to break into. This would keep it from being too easy. :)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 03:12:07 pm »

ETA: Ooh! The existence of locks could also affect which doors can be closed / forbidden, thus making the game even HARDER!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 02:06:17 am »

This could cause issues with pathing.

There's already an issue where pets bring FPS to a crawl when trying to path to an area behind a tightly-shut door.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 05:56:07 am »

I vote for the player having to make locks separately, no key (or just an implied/imaginary one). Cost: 1 mechanism. It could be a modification done in the mechanic's workshop, costing 1 door and one mechanism, with higher quality results being harder to break into. This would keep it from being too easy. :)

I vote for us having both locks and keys.
Pages: [1] 2 3