Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fallout 4 Rebuilt - A Major Overhaul  (Read 1902 times)

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
Fallout 4 Rebuilt - A Major Overhaul
« on: March 28, 2017, 02:22:09 am »

I'm gonna start this off by saying that I'm not exactly the best at modding, but what I've wanted to do for a while is make an overhaul of a game. And what better game to do it with than the supremely flawed - but still very enjoyable - Fallout 4 :D

I made a banner for it already, and I'm making quite good progress on making a modular game settings system.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:25:26 am by XhAPPYSLApX »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4 Rebuilt - A Major Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 04:20:48 am »

I don't know what this is but I'm watching it anyway.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:51:05 pm »

I don't know what this is but I'm watching it anyway.

What I'm trying to do with this is make an overhaul of combat to make it more tactics based, instead of twitch reflexes.
Adding in the modular settings saves me a bunch of headaches trying to balance it perfectly for every play style.
The other stuff is basically just going to be stuff that I really want in the game, these new features I add will be toggleable in game also.

Hope I explained it pretty well, can't wait to let everybody see it :D

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 03:45:20 pm »

This looks interesting, but seeing as you don't have a great deal of experience, why not make something smaller and more focussed to start with? A lot of the overhaul mods start with one thing that needs fixing and move on to that.

If you want to make fighting more tactical, why not just overhaul all the vanilla weapons to be better balanced for tactical play? Or maybe replace all the guns with longer ranged version so that most fighting takes place at range instead of close by?

You can come back to the overhaul later, it's just tons easier to get the wheels going with a smaller project.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 10:27:57 pm »

This looks interesting, but seeing as you don't have a great deal of experience, why not make something smaller and more focussed to start with? A lot of the overhaul mods start with one thing that needs fixing and move on to that.

If you want to make fighting more tactical, why not just overhaul all the vanilla weapons to be better balanced for tactical play? Or maybe replace all the guns with longer ranged version so that most fighting takes place at range instead of close by?

You can come back to the overhaul later, it's just tons easier to get the wheels going with a smaller project.

Very true, I could stick with my current planning of how to structure it. But make smaller mods of less encompassing features.
Thanks for the tip, though I do still think I'll stick with what I'm doing currently. I will probably ease up and make less of an overhaul of the game, and focus on combat overhauling. Then move on to other such things I could possibly do.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 06:55:16 pm »

Made a lot of progress over the last week, because 1.) I finally started making the damn thing. And 2.) I made a fully functioning Skill Menu!

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 06:59:53 pm »

The skills work like this, if you are at rank 3, and want to rank up to rank 4, you must spend 4 skill ranks to rank up in that skill. It works like that for all of the skills, I'm thinking of adding the ability to tag a single skill to require 1 less skill rank to increase. But I'm not going to bother with it for the first release.