Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Goblin Adith Oshokkenom has come!  (Read 1175 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
The Goblin Adith Oshokkenom has come!
« on: March 28, 2017, 04:28:28 pm »

He walked onto the map, almost to the entrance in the middle. Marked as "friendly", not an enemy. He then politely turned around and went away and again. I like to think he waved. At the time, I had just finished a trade with the Humans, it was high summer, not goblin winter.

I don't have a tavern or library, but I do have a simple temple deep underground. He did not visit it. I have no idea why he got an Announcement so thorough?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Goblin Adith Oshokkenom has come!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 04:35:58 pm »

Distant theory is that he might have been a scout and your settlement was directly laid upon his path. That is if he is of any historical significance at all, maybe your announcement settings could give a clue.

He would fit the criteria of being hostile intruder onto a site, though then again he could just be a 'were' who for inexplicable reasons hasn't turned before walking onto your site. How close is the goblin settlements to your current site by the way?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 08:54:24 pm »

The announcement settings are pristine, never occurred to me to change them. I've never had an announcement like that one for a friendly visitor, only for unfriendly ones, so I left it autopaused and checked on my troops before thinking to check the goblin, hit "u" and went to the "visitors" section, and found him listed "friendly". Weird.

The goblins live over the hills and far away, a large area to the north of the continent. I did not expect to be attacked by them at all, the first four were a surprise, but the four every winter are now an expected regularity. The elves were meant to be visitors, and don't appear to want to send a caravan, and the goblins weren't meant to, but arrive every winter....

He could be a were who changed moments after he arrived, but moments before the announcement of his arrival, I hadn't thought of that.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 01:28:17 am »

He was a werecreature.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:46:44 pm »

I thought that this was just a joke:

Sometimes a werebeast arrives in humanoid form, and the game then announces the arrival of a normal, intelligent creature as if it was some terrible beast. The naked, confused creature usually runs away, probably scared by your dwarves' laughter.

That is an actual quote from the wiki, just one rated as D for Dwarf. I assumed that this could never actually happen. Guessed wrong.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 09:31:37 pm »

I thought that this was just a joke:

Sometimes a werebeast arrives in humanoid form, and the game then announces the arrival of a normal, intelligent creature as if it was some terrible beast. The naked, confused creature usually runs away, probably scared by your dwarves' laughter.

That is an actual quote from the wiki, just one rated as D for Dwarf. I assumed that this could never actually happen. Guessed wrong.

Aye it does, I had a dwarf announced like that. Forgot to pause in my laughter and everyone dehydrated.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 09:54:56 am »

Happened to me once too, now I know why.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 02:01:35 pm »

Werecreatures can indeed show up on their normal form, happens every once in a while. That's when I like to try and trap them.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 04:50:40 pm »

I had this happen with a human today. But then he transformed and was one shotted by a hammerlord. Naturally.