Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The ettin and the dress  (Read 681 times)

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
The ettin and the dress
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:49:33 pm »

So I'm fairly new to DF and the forum boards in general, but thought this was too funny to not share.

So an ettin decides to attack my growing fort while my traps were being constructed (fun timing), and kills my Legendary +5 Carpenter. Oddly enough, he picks up her dress and then goes to my pastures and starts beating my cow over and over and over in the head again never letting up. The cow kept falling in and out of consciousness, and the ettin actually passed out from exhaustion. This went on for at least two pages of reports until my local Vampire kicked him in the neck and got his attention.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: The ettin and the dress
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:04:09 pm »

Right now, DF combat does not take into account the difference between material and force applied, which leads to amusing clothing-based battles as you have seen.  In the hands (claws) of a large enough creature, literally anything is a lethal blunt weapon.  So if a creature, say a troll, were to hit your Dwarf with X+Troll Fur Sock+X, there is a good chance the attack would bruise the Dwarf's brain, even through his -Steel Helm- ::)  On a more serious note, welcome to the party!  Pictures of your newbie Fortress would be appreciated.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 10:20:44 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress and Bay 12
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:48:30 pm »

Right now, DF combat does not take into account the difference between material and force applied, which leads to amusing clothing-based battles as you have seen.  In the hands (claws) of a large enough creature, literally anything is a lethal blunt weapon.  So if a creature, say a troll, were to hit your Dwarf with X+Troll Fur Sock+X, there is a good chance the attack would bruise the Dwarf's brain, even through his -Steel Helm- ::)  On a more serious note, welcome to the party!  Pictures of your newbie Fortress would be appreciated.

Where would one go to post about noob Fort, and what should I show?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 07:36:11 pm »

This thread is fine, and honestly I'm just curious.  Layout, favorite Dorfs, site of the Ettin/Cow battle, etc.  When posting pictures here, you have a couple options.  First is just a link;
Code: [Select]
[img]image link goes here[/img]  If the picture is especially large, it is good form to use a spoiler tag so peeps can load pics as they want;
Code: [Select]
[spoiler][img]image linkn goes here[/img][/spoilder]

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 07:58:03 pm »

hello welcome to dwarf fortress.  Here's a postit note sketch that someone on this forum once drew for me about a yeti kicking in my dining room door.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If your experiences are funny enough, maybe someone will draw postit note sketches for you too!