Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Succession Game - Anenu Ewe 107 (game over, death by uneventfulness)  (Read 3837 times)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Succession Game - Anenu Ewe

DWARF FORTRESS PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.43.03-r09

In The Planets of Enchanting, upon The Land of Rhyme, and deep within The Reputed Frost, the last dwarves of a dying civilization come to make their final stand.  Long has the war with the goblins diminished their number, but here they will stand or die in this place called Muzishcatten, Martyrchanneled. 

Spoiler: embark setup (click to show/hide)

-=-

Succession Game Rules

I’ll try to keep a queue of players right here on top.  When the save becomes available, the next person in queue gets 3 days to notice, play their year, and post a new save before they are shunned.  If 3 days pass, the next person gets a chance to play from the current save.  I’ll try to notify people by PM or email or whatever, however they want me to.

-=QUEUE=-
101 - zazq link
102 - Herodian part1 part2 part3
103 - Puppyguard link
104 - zazq link
105 - Puppyguard link
106 - zazq link
107 -

-=GAME SAVES=-
101 - http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12797
102 - http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12801
103 - http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12808
104 - http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12809
105 - http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12810
106 - http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12833
107 - http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12836

Spoiler: THE SURFACE (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:07:36 pm by zazq »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game - Anenu Ewe 101 (COME PLAY WITH ME!)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 03:36:05 pm »

Could I sign up for the third or fourth turn, and could I be dorfed as Nish, please?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 04:01:15 pm »

done and done!  You sure you don't want to take first year?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 12:37:23 am »

I'm not sure I can take any year, my schedual is always unreasonably full.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:12:46 pm »

This forum can't be THAT dead...  If nobody hurries up takes it, ima do it.  DON'T MAKE ME DO IT!  The point is to have a fortress that doesn't look like all my other fortresses.  Maybe I'll just do it really drunk.  that's an idea...

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 01:26:21 pm »

I took it.

Spoiler: YEAR 101 (click to show/hide)

ALRIGHT SOMEONE TAKE IT!
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12801
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:27:33 pm by zazq »

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game - Anenu Ewe 102 (PLAYERS NEEDED)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 11:00:43 pm »

le sigh.  nobody around to play.

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 04:12:23 am »

I might be able to take the save and guide these dwarves for a year. I can't promise any expansive skill with complex construction, but I can at least keep the fortress going, and maybe even prospering. I can get back to you in a few hours, just got some work to do in the mean time, and then I can hopefully get started. 
The world is grey, the mountains old,
The forge's fire is ashen-cold;
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls:
The darkness dwells in Durin's halls;
The shadow lies upon his tomb
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 11:02:57 am »

TAKE IT OH GOD

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 11:25:41 am »

Happy to. I'm just getting to work, constructing nest boxes and making sure our Glorious Lord Adilbidok has everything he could ever want, among other things. I'll get to posting once I'm properly off the ground.
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 02:18:32 pm »

9th of Granite, 102, Early Spring

The new year was celebrated as you'd expect, drowning our sorrows in several varieties of the exact same plump helmet wine, without goblets or even mugs, coupled with some fine plump helmet biscuits and stew. It's better than the freezing cold outside, but it is nothing to the former glories of our people. The first days of the year were unremarkable, though his Majesty Adilbidok mandated several more earrings, which were already waiting for him. I have set to work in earnest, ordering the production of several nest boxes for the turkeys, hopefully we shall have some eggs with out plump helmets for our next celebration, along with setting to work sealing off the farms from any thieves or skulking vermin.  I have ordered the miners, (replace ordered with humbly requested in the case of our noble king) to dig out two chambers attached to the tavern, one for a kitchen and food preparation site, and the other for other crafts. I also commissioned a pair of statues from our masons, with our master mason Imic continuing to produce masterpiece after masterpiece. The king shall enjoy the statues, I hope. Kivisherith, our engraver, has withdrawn from society, presumably to escape having to engrave anything else.

15th Granite.

Kivisherith produced an artifact, an Obsidian mug, with obsidian spikes and encrusted with obsidian. I suppose he got tired of drinking from pots.

8th Slate

The various excavation projects are complete, and we have dug out a second set of halls the level below the inn. Though we have yet no anvil, it is still the desire of us all to strike the earth truly, and to change the shimmering stone of these walls into ingots and on into fine goods. This earth is rich in gold, silver, iron and copper, and we will have great ease in wealth should we be able to truly forge these things. It is my goal to build the beginnings of a forge. The small chamber above the tavern has found a use now, with a smeltery built up against the wall, and a furnace opposite to it. We have no fuel, and our only wood is of vital import. There is always tell of the caverns far below, we may yet delve into the great fungal forests below, but such an expedition risks grave danger for now. I am puzzled.

12th Slate.

In the morning, as I finished my wine (Now in a mug, if the gods may yet behold it!), I came upon the beginnings of a decision. This obsidian that fills every new room or hall can be shattered into edges for blades. The tundra above is mostly safe, and the drawbridge yet protects us, but a sturdy militia must soon be raised if we ever desire to delve the caverns. The obsidian blades will be nothing to true armour, but to beasts they should still sting. I will have a few assembled, and then must see what can be done to build a barracks.

3rd Felsite

Migrants have arrived! A staggering nineteen straggling survivors braving the spring snowstorms to reach the snow covered wagon and the squat hump of earth that marks the stairs down into our fortress. A time for merriment, our numbers almost doubled! The king's rooms have been smoothed out, and the tavern has been fitted with more tables and chairs, with new rooms being dug out to accommodate these new fellow, though I fear the mass of their numbers will be too much for our mug carvers.

18 Felsite
There is nothing quite so tedious as scribing out the labour roles for all of the new migrants. I appreciate their labour, but at least three of them have no skill more useful than gelding. It makes one wonder how our first holds stood for so long. No matter, a few of them shall make fine warriors or furnace operators. The new barracks have been dug out adjacent to the entrance hall, and the smoothing process goes well with extra hands. A human calling herself the lady consort has come to visit us. She claims to be the wife of some human lord or king, but she is not unkind to us. Three or four other humans now join us in our tavern too, telling tales of the outside world. The lady consort sat with a few of us and heard our own stories, and as one of the migrants described in vivid detail how his family had been lost to the goblins, she began to weep, before retiring.

19th Felsite

The lady consort has petitioned to join us as a soldier, to defend the hold by her own spear. It seems she has become lost to her husband and children. She ahs joined a squad headed by the strongest dwarf available, our dear engraver. In the afternoon, a human lord consort, though not the consort of the recently arrived lady consort has also arrived and petitioned to join the fort as a soldier, joining his fellow human in our new militia squad, the Bronze Angels.

24th Felsite.

Cage traps, or their beginnings, have been layed out in the corridor, and iron and gold are being mined in the deeps. More furniture is being built, and the barracks are coming along steadily. I have decided that it may be a fine idea to produce more obsidian shortswords. They are sharp edged enough, and until we have all of our cages built they will make fine blades for traps.

27th Hematite.

Things are progressing as expected. The mining operations, spearheaded by the king, has uncovered no coal or other fuel, only yet more gold, iron and copper. I could not restrain myself any longer, and have had some charcoal burnt. I now watch the gold pour into ingots. We shall have no shortage of payment the next time the caravan comes, I swear it.

As things stand on the 6th of Malachite

The King's Throne room, Barracks, and Central Area/Pasture

The second layer of halls.

The majority of the fortress, with the major additions being the lengthened dormitories, the smelting chamber at the top, and the kitchen area to the bottom, with a planned medical area to be dug out.

So far I've not done much but solidify what has already been done. I've gotten to smoothing, set up the first militia squad, expanded for the new migrants and set to work arming, furnishing and caring for the fortress. I'm not done yet, it being only Malachite, but I thought it'd be best to throw this up before concluding for the evening as reading material.
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 08:52:37 pm »

If there's still an open slot, can you sign me up?
Also, if you want to contact me, PM me.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 10:27:00 pm »

Puppyguard has been placed for turn 103.  Imic has been moved to turn 104.

those rooms above and below the tavern look real sexy.

thank you for your participation in this succession game.  I expect !fun! times.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 11:26:35 pm »

Our human visitors must be from the Confederation of Goats!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 03:39:09 pm »

13th Malachite, 102, Mid-Summer.

I have come upon an idea. The king's throne room sits bare for now, with a great space between it's chambers. This space, if dug out, would only be accessible through the King's tomb, the furthest from any place any enemy should ever come to be. I think this spot would make a suitable treasury in which to store our finest goods, our gold and silver, at least in enough of a reserve to purchase supplies in the event of a tragedy. Besides, I am sure the king will be glad of the gold so near to his bed and his throne. Eight golden ingots, pure and well smelted, will soon rest as the fruits of the first of our labours. Silver and gold veins seem almost common, and excavations have been fruitful thus far. I have now discovered the entry for wood in our supply manifest, and find my earlier caution laughable. 260 logs of wood sit around the fortress now, I needn't worry for charcoal. Iron, Gold, and Silver are to be smelted in their droves soon enough.

22nd Malachite

New Migrants are arriving, and as they do we are continuing work excavating the second layer of halls, which I have decided will act as a second store-room for raw materials of stone and of wood. I have ordered that several of the animals be slaughtered for leather, to construct flasks and backpacks for our soldiers, along with the beginnings of armour. Horn adornments for our tables shall be a welcome side effect. I was growing unnerved with the number of kittens and puppies scampering around anyway. Eight migrants have arrived in total.

6th Galena

Nomal has given birth to a new baby boy, the second child in our new fortress. We now number fourty eight, quite a formidable sum compared to those who traveled first to this barren spot. We have been fortunate thus far, but I still fear of coming war. The goblins may not have pursued us immediately, but I fear they soon will.

10th Galena

I have come upon a wonderful idea! The folk of the fortress have grown more merry as their numbers have grown, but many of the halls are still barren and cold. I have set Imic, our masterful mason, to work carving statues, at least a dozen, to adorn the king's tomb, the entryway, the gates, doors and corridors in spots. His masterpieces gladden the hearts of all, even his statue of  one of our leaders, surrounded by great writhing worms. Obsidian and Microcline alike are carved and shaped into great sentinels of all shapes and likes. The king has grown yet gladder of his dwellings for the adornment.

11th Galena.

The splendour of our gold stocks amazes me. Thirty two golden bars, the finest things we have seen in many a month.No merchant could refuse such payment, and once an anvil sits within our grasp, our armaments may grow and swell ever further! 105 Golden nuggets rest, scattered in the mines and in our new stone stockpile.

21st Galena

I am proud to say that I have doubled the value of our fair fortress in the months I have been in command, from 100,000 to 200,000 in little more than half a year. I was *ehem*... forced, to dig out several veins of gold and silver in the more inhabited levels, leaving blemishes. I have decided to seal these shafts off, with doors allowing access for any future expansions of further mining in times of strife. Perhaps these little spurs of cut stone will save us all, some day.

1st Limestone.

Work continues, furnishing, expanding, and smoothing out this home of ours. It is heartwarming to say that, unless some creature can hack apart the bridge, we are safe. The farms are sealed off, and the gate can be sealed quickly enough. I have assigned several more folk to the militia, armed them as best I could, and set them to train, for the sake of safety, despite all of our precautions, and some of our precious wood will need to go towards cages for traps. Another human has petitioned for entry. Perhaps something is amiss, or perhaps they simply dislike to wander out into the tundra after tasting our fine wine. We are running low on seeds, though four hundred plump helmets are stored and uncooked. I will brew some, our stocks of wine have fallen to only five hundred in the mass of pots. The alcohol remains on the top level, perhaps if any enemy should come they will drink themselves to slumber before they reach the lower levels.

10th Limestone

I couldn't abide it any longer, and I have ordered the construction of a number of cage traps in the entrance corridor, and our wood stocks are not nearly so diminished as to make the risk of wasting some on cages seem unbearable. The next goblin scout party that comes shall find itself swiftly ensnared. It will bring some joy to see their cages carted by. Perhaps we should build a prison, or even an execution chamber, where each of the beasts may be judged for their crimes if they should ever come.

12th Limestone.

The traders have returned, and we were more than ready to greet them. They arrived looking dreary, expecting bones and stone, but as the train of dwarves came out to the depot, bearing ingot after ingot of pure delved gold, their mouths dropped open wide. The King laughed, clapping the trader on the back, and chatting for a while of affairs at home. Things seem dim, and these traders range far in the troubled world. When we looked in their inventory, we found what we have long sought. Anvils! We may finally begin to craft iron, steel and fine crafts of gold! How wonderful this is! We have also acquired some other seeds, of cave wheat and dimple cups. We shall finally have food and drink of something other than mushroom, egg and puppy meat. We shall have beer and bread soon enough, to couple with our iron.

14th Limestone

We have struck pure aluminium far underground, a rare and valuable metal to be sold sure enough.

27th Limestone

More Migrants! Our fortress swells! Nine more brave souls, two of them children, have arrived and seek residence, gladly granted. We now stand at fifty six brave souls, our dear human fellows included. I am sad to say that one of our number has been possessed by some strange force, and now stands still on the surface, uncaring for snow and rain as if a rock himself. I hope to construct a home for him, at least some place of comfort.

30 Limestone.

He has gone mad. Stripped to bare, he has taken to running around on his hands and feet. Gods rest his soul. As he has gone mad, the rest of us have returned to work, Imic most especially, carving numerous masterpiece engravings across the throne room and the King's quarters, to perhaps finally satisfy him. The people are bored, but not greatly so, and so I have set to work attempting to improve life in the fortress, cooking finer meals, brewing beer as well as wine, and displaying Imic's masterpieces prominently.

13th Timber

We need more beds to accomodate us, and so I have ordered the delving of new dormitory halls. We have also elected ourselves a mayor, though considering the King is wandering around, pick in hand, he seems a tad irrelevant. An office will be excavated for him, and for me, in future.

29th Timber

The metal-smith has been taken by a mood after finishing a batch of iron helms for our militia. I had planned on having him set to work producing battle axes, but he seems to be constructing something of his own design.

2nd Moonstone.

I awoke to a shriek. A goblin snatcher or thief had bolted into the fortress, and we found him already caught in a cage trap. He took scarcely more than one step into our home before he was trapped! The little beast will have to be dealt with. Perhaps we shall starve him.

3rd Moonstone

We have installed his cage securely above ground, in the snow. He will freeze to death soon enough, or starve. It is what the creature deserves, as all its foul kind. It will not be carrying our secrets back to its kin now, and if they dare to come for him they will find only snow coated bones.

4th Moonstone

The metalsmith has produced a single artifact boot. Wonderful. Now back to his earlier work.

18th Moonstone

We continue to prosper well, with no follow up to the arrival of our goblin friend. We are producing axes, helms and breastplates, and the militia is training and growing ready. Furnishing the new dorms takes up much of our time, and the quarters of the mayor must yet be produced.

20th Moonstone

I have looked over the books again, and I am immensely glad to say that our fortress has tripled in worth. In the last ten months, we have gone from a value of 100,000 to 300,000, the gold, gems and masses of furniture we have constructed playing a large part. Food and drink are plenty, and times are well. The winter will not be a harsh one, with forge fires at our back, and the chittering of a freezing goblin to guide us should we need to move outside.

The inn, metalcrafting chamber, cooking area, main store-room, dormitories, medical room in development and some of our fine statues.

The King's chambers, the trade depot, store-rooms, barracks and trap corridor.

I can't quite finish this evening, but I wanted to get a post up at least. I'll do my last two months for tomorrow evening! I hope everyone is enjoying my year thus far.

In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4