Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the normal FPS for a high-end PC?  (Read 2229 times)

Morcaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the normal FPS for a high-end PC?
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:04:57 pm »

My FPS spikes up to 100 after pausing however when I un-pause and play the game for a minute or two it gets as low as 13... usually it stays at around 23 and then jumps up and down between 20-40. After un-pausing the game for a longer time though however this gets lower and lower. I'm not sure what is causing this, I'm running a fresh install of masterwork.

Any suggestions to make this better? I'm not willing to turn off temp controllers.

Running:
3.4GHz, it's overclocked so nut sure what the total is.

Win10

16GB ram

Nvidia geforce GTX 770

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the normal FPS for a high-end PC?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 12:39:23 am »

It depends on how old the fort is. The longer the fort lives, the more junk accumulates and takes up processing power. Clearing the map of junk can help a bit to mitgate the FPS death. However, if you are just starting on a clean map and getting terrible FPS, then you probably have something strange going on, like an erupting volcano underground.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 03:26:28 am »

My FPS spikes up to 100 after pausing however when I un-pause and play the game for a minute or two it gets as low as 13... usually it stays at around 23 and then jumps up and down between 20-40. After un-pausing the game for a longer time though however this gets lower and lower. I'm not sure what is causing this, I'm running a fresh install of masterwork.

Any suggestions to make this better? I'm not willing to turn off temp controllers.

Running:
3.4GHz, it's overclocked so nut sure what the total is.

Win10

16GB ram

Nvidia geforce GTX 770

Turning off temp and rain are the two best ways to help FPS. If you are unwilling to do that, try caging all animals that don't need to be pastured and setting a low population cap (lots of creatures trying to path around the map hurts), and using the atomsmasher/df hack to eat up any junk lying around your fort.

There are also mods that standardize the various types of wood and animal products (so you just get generic wood and meat rather than rubber wood and kitten meat). I'm not positive, but using those are supposed to help a bit. You can also embark on a smaller area.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 04:36:53 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is CPU bound. It is single threaded and does not use the GPU. The main thing that matters is CPU speed.
Refrain from using many large stockpiles. Try using quantum stockpiles, minecarts make them easy to create. Atom smashing and/or simply not creating excess junk helps. Block off all unused areas, either with walls or simply with locked doors.As weirdsound mentions, animals can be a big drain on FPD so lock 'em up when you are noot trying to breed them, or just go for an animal-free fort and import meat.

If you are using DFHack, you can use the "autodump destroy" command to quickly get rid of junk. DFHack also has some tweaks to speed things up, like simplifying temperature calculations and automatically getting rid of old clothes.

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 12:42:10 am »

Sorry to necro this, the "normal" fps is more what you want it to be. So many people use say DFHack or something akin to it to place a forced limit that isn't exceeded and that will vary with how fast you want things to go/how fast you can handle. I have a 4.09GHz cpu when I don't overclock it and if I do not enforce an fps limit I get over 1k fps. Which makes things happen really, really fast. I force a limit of 45-60 just so things aren't too fast for management and it's what most games already use. I don't even wanna know how high it would get if I started overclocking since mine can go to I think 4.4GHz if not a bit higher. Goes waaaay too fast if I don't enforce a limit.