Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas for a DF play...  (Read 1665 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Ideas for a DF play...
« on: March 30, 2017, 01:42:35 pm »

I am thinking of writing a very short DF based play.
Any ideas?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a DF play...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 05:54:49 pm »

My immediate thought is either a grim grey play of work and death for a craftsdwarf who eventually gets injured and dies of thirst in a hospital due to a lack of buckets, or a "Waiting for Godot"-esque plot of two engravers working their way down a forgotten dusty corridor who at the end of the play get unexpectedly blasted to death by a pulsating green-and-purple forgotten beast.

Whilst the game itself is fun, most of my dwarves lead pretty boring lives. There are one or two who have excitement - one sacrificed herself to the building of a new well last week - but the excitement is pretty final in most cases.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 09:12:33 pm »

My immediate thought is either a grim grey play of work and death for a craftsdwarf who eventually gets injured and dies of thirst in a hospital due to a lack of buckets, or a "Waiting for Godot"-esque plot of two engravers working their way down a forgotten dusty corridor who at the end of the play get unexpectedly blasted to death by a pulsating green-and-purple forgotten beast.

Whilst the game itself is fun, most of my dwarves lead pretty boring lives. There are one or two who have excitement - one sacrificed herself to the building of a new well last week - but the excitement is pretty final in most cases.

Hmm...

Interesting ideas.

Does anybody have anymore?

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:51:29 am »

Hmm...

Interesting ideas.

The littlest......

Soapmaker.

>.>
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 10:24:41 pm »

Hmm...

Interesting ideas.

The littlest......

Soapmaker.

>.>

Hmmmmmmm......

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 12:31:12 am »

Something centering around a strange mood. Perhaps a valued dwarf demanding a material that's not available, and others' mad scramble to acquire it... only to either fail at the last moment, or succeed and have him make a wood toy miniforge.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 01:17:55 am »

Something centering around a strange mood. Perhaps a valued dwarf demanding a material that's not available, and others' mad scramble to acquire it... only to either fail at the last moment, or succeed and have him make a wood toy miniforge.

Or one of them looses a leg in the mad scramble, and he makes a crutch. I've had it happen.

...I wasted a good 10 minutes just then staring at your little animated dancing figure {grin} it's very... mesmerising.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 01:31:13 am »

Group of fans representing a cross section of the DF fanbase sit around talking about the latest in DF's development and dreams of version 1.0 (but mostly discuss life, religion, economics and geology).

Each scene is set 10-15 years after the previous one and the characters and scenery age visibly each time.

The final scene has them attending a funeral and remarking on the great journey of life. They conclude that it was mostly fun even if they never 'won'.

The mysterious painting of a giant toad-like puppetmaster that's been hanging in the background for the entire play is missing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:32:53 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 06:23:22 am »

The mysterious painting of a giant toad-like puppetmaster that's been hanging in the background for the entire play is missing.

Thanks so much for my nightmares tonight you sodding bastard....

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 12:23:14 am »

Group of fans representing a cross section of the DF fanbase sit around talking about the latest in DF's development and dreams of version 1.0 (but mostly discuss life, religion, economics and geology).

Each scene is set 10-15 years after the previous one and the characters and scenery age visibly each time.

The final scene has them attending a funeral and remarking on the great journey of life. They conclude that it was mostly fun even if they never 'won'.

Well, that's quite interesting...

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 11:11:05 pm »

Write an epic tale about fighting the cannibalistic, voodoo, tree hugging elves. Those are always great. Oh, and definitely include a strange mood here and there. And dwarvish alcoholism. And that their females have bushy beards.