Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Were antelope attack-Help  (Read 1612 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Were antelope attack-Help
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:12:39 pm »

Sooo a wereantalope is currently attacking me.4 dwarfs are stuck outside my fortress while everyone else is behind a hall guarded by 2 dozen traps and 3 doors.Any ideas on what to do? 3 guys outside have already been bitten.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Were antelope attack-Help
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 09:44:33 pm »

Sooo a wereantalope is currently attacking me.4 dwarfs are stuck outside my fortress while everyone else is behind a hall guarded by 2 dozen traps and 3 doors.Any ideas on what to do? 3 guys outside have already been bitten.

Burrow them outside! Build a food and booze stockpile, or let them starve. The one who hasn't been bitten should be allowed to go inside.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:58:39 am »

Kill the were antelope first somehow. Then involve the infected dwarves in tragic incidents, for example if one of them has a pickaxe order them to dig a hole they can't escape and then make a tragic mistake that causes a cave-in.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:20:10 am »

Or wait until the full moon ends, and s/he'll run away. Give the dorfs who have been bitten nicknames or custom professions so you can pick them out easier, then build a super nice holding pen for them before the next full moon. It's almost as good as the ol' vampire bookkeeper for keeping forts alive no matter how bad it gets. You can include ways to drop in food and supplies if you like (or victims), but unless something major has changed, the form change every month resets any starving/dehydrated in addition to injuries.

That said, I've found having multiples can be a little unfortunate. Werecreatures of the same type consider each other allies, but if they change at slightly different times, they will attack the other "dwarves" in their pen.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:25:59 am »

Or wait until the full moon ends, and s/he'll run away. Give the dorfs who have been bitten nicknames or custom professions so you can pick them out easier, then build a super nice holding pen for them before the next full moon. It's almost as good as the ol' vampire bookkeeper for keeping forts alive no matter how bad it gets. You can include ways to drop in food and supplies if you like (or victims), but unless something major has changed, the form change every month resets any starving/dehydrated in addition to injuries.

That said, I've found having multiples can be a little unfortunate. Werecreatures of the same type consider each other allies, but if they change at slightly different times, they will attack the other "dwarves" in their pen.
Funny, my most recent attemps at forming a were gorilla army has resulted in them trying to kill each other even when they transformat the same time, luckily none have died yet so I'll just concider it intense training.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:39 am »

Were antelope.... what game has that, anyway? :P

What is the most hilariously ridiculous "were" creature you've seen in dwarf fortress?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 06:48:38 am »

Were antelope.... what game has that, anyway? :P

What is the most hilariously ridiculous "were" creature you've seen in dwarf fortress?
Pretty much had a were chiwawa once, it was a diminutive dog were wolf that was quite weak and frail. Outright weird thiugh would be a weresquirel.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:18:07 am »

Weregiraffe.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 02:23:17 pm »

The were antelope died and so did most of every dwarf how got bit died in the fight except a fisherdwarf who was vitally injured.I sent him to a hospital and confined him to a chain.Well, when he was in one of his moods my doctor came in and they had a fight. Thankfully my doctor was really good at dogging and single handedly took out the were antelope.So all the were antelopes are dead.   

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 08:56:56 pm »

Werecavy. A cavy is a guinea pig, for those of you who don't know.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 09:08:37 pm »

I periodically post this, but were attacks are not so difficult if you are well prepared.

First: Don't panic!  The full moon lasts for only a few days (2-3).  The were creature may not have appeared on the map at the exact start of the full moon.  So the best way to survive is simply to wait until the full moon finishes and they turn back.  Then send the militia after them so that they can't come back another day.

Second: Burrow everybody.  Were creatures are building destroyers and trap avoid.  They will spend their time destroying buildings if you have buildings to destroy.  If the were creature can not see anyone, they will not move.  This is super important to understand.  No creatures in line of sight (and no buildings to destroy) == completely harmless were creature.

Third: The earlier you discover the were creature, the more time you have to burrow.  Tie up some dogs around the site.  As a bonus, the were creature will run up to the dogs and kill them -- taking precious time out of their full-moon-counter.  The more time they spend killing your dogs, the less time they have to kill your dwarfs.  Dogs will not become were-dogs.

Fourth: If your dwarfs do not make it back to the burrow, they are already dead.  Do not try to rescue them.  Do no try to engage the were beast with your militia (unless you have full metal armour cover -- and even then, there is not reason to risk it).  Your dwarfs will buy precious time for the rest of the fortress.

Fifth: If your dwarf gets bitten and survives, then on the full moon, station them somewhere where they can't see any creatures.  You can find the next full moon by looking at the wiki, or by looking at the moon icon on the edge of the screen.  Try to station them a couple days ahead because they might decided to go get a drink, or pray, or whatever.  As long as the were dwarf is stationed somewhere where they can't see a creature and can't see a building to destroy, they will not move at all.  You can station individual dwarfs from the squad menu (they have to be a member of the squad).  You can have as many were creatures in your fortress as you want *with no danger* as long as you station them somewhere secluded during the full moon.

Sixth: If your were dwarf accidentally sees another dwarf (because a kitten wanders over to them and then runs back into the fortress :-P), lock down the area.  Anybody who sees the conflict is at risk of getting into a loyalty cascade.  If a loyalty cascade happens (your dwarfs start killing each other), they are already dead.  Do *not* attempt to rescue them.  Lock them in and wait until the fighting stops (usually when one side wins -- often a single dwarf).