Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Have succession games lost their appeal?  (Read 7179 times)

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Have succession games lost their appeal?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 08:54:22 pm »

Seems this thread has started a few succession games... :p perhaps the next boatmurdered?
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 10:41:33 am »

Maybe but probably not. Most of the factors that created Boatmurdered came out of that version of the game.

But still something wonderful could come out of those. Especially if modding becomes part of them.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 05:09:36 am »

I think there is a potential for a wholly new kind of succession play in the upcomming release.

Say you have 4 or so players, and EACH ONE creates his own fortress.  Each gets to play for one year, as per standard rules, but in that time they can send "artifact raids" against the other fortresses. As many times as they feel necessary that turn, or that the game allows.

With 4 players, each player will take a 3 year hiatus, while their site ceases to be the active site. This means that when they unretire their site, lots of stuff will have happened, and people will have left, been killed, etc. Artifacts will be stolen, et al.  This should trigger some "interesting" game mechanics related to loyalty cascades, and other fun things.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 05:59:51 am »

I think there is a potential for a wholly new kind of succession play in the upcomming release.

Say you have 4 or so players, and EACH ONE creates his own fortress.  Each gets to play for one year, as per standard rules, but in that time they can send "artifact raids" against the other fortresses. As many times as they feel necessary that turn, or that the game allows.

With 4 players, each player will take a 3 year hiatus, while their site ceases to be the active site. This means that when they unretire their site, lots of stuff will have happened, and people will have left, been killed, etc. Artifacts will be stolen, et al.  This should trigger some "interesting" game mechanics related to loyalty cascades, and other fun things.
Yeah, lots of cool potential for Succession Worlds in the new release. Throw adventurers into the mix too with their secret huts full of other people's artifacts deep in the heart of the evil biomes and you can see all sorts of Fun stories which could be made.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 10:50:10 am »

I will embark on a 1x1 tropical biome, and manufacturing hemp robes, alpaca wool socks, and maybe a cap. 
I would not mind leather sandals, and silk thongs from foreign trades. 
I dare you raid my compound!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 11:54:30 am »

It'd probably have to wait for this bug to be fixed before you could do something like that, sadly. I can say from personal experience that the framerate drop is pretty severe after 2 or 3 rounds.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 04:35:57 pm »

It'd probably have to wait for this bug to be fixed before you could do something like that, sadly. I can say from personal experience that the framerate drop is pretty severe after 2 or 3 rounds.
Are you sure that bug still exists? Haven't personally noticed it and often play unretired fortresses.
There's one single save as proof, and it doesn't proove anything as the cause in that save was bug 0007392 (a duplicate of 0006913 which was fixed in 40.07).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:40:12 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 05:21:43 pm »

The fact is we are in a rut - Using the vanilla game would require literally going in completely blind to the world around us to even get something slightly interesting - Spearbreakers was set up near a necromancer tower when I had gone out of my way to avoid such a thing, and we got hit with a seemingly unending zombie apocalypse for several in-game years - failed a spot check I guess.

Once we get the ability to attack other sites, that will in  a probable short time lose its sheen, and we'll be back to square one, because the core mechanics overall haven't changed much for us and our forts I would assume, just that some dwarves will leave and some might not come back due to vagaries of the road or battle.

As was mentioned, there's a massive stagnation - evil, necrotower, possible inhospitable biome of ice or sand, go. It's cliche to the point of madness.

Coming off that little tangent and self plugging, would anyone be willing to read/participate in something written in a distantly similar manner to Bravemule that is ultimately about a few dwarves hoping for the off chance at revenge against the forgotten beast that destroyed their birth fortress? I could never hope to match the strange blue and orange tone and all, but I love the strangeness of the writing enough to want to do something with it somehow...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 06:06:29 pm »

Vanilla game worlds work perfectly well with Legends Viewer (using the 'export to external viewer' option provided by completely vanilla DF Legends Mode). Why would you have to go in "completely blind"?

I agree limiting games to the ancient 'single fortress to play until fps death' style has been done to death. Luckily we're playing Dwarf Fortress and have whole worlds to explore.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 06:34:19 pm »

When I say completely blind, I mean not knowing what you'll be in for for your world at all at the very start - no using legends viewer to see what conflicts are in progress, look into the history of beast attacks, or even checking to see if you're in range of a necromancer tower; simply leave all of that at the start to the whims of fate and look into it as things happen rather than beforehand. No looking for that perfect world beyond "every civ type is alive, in range, and semi-functioning." Besides the played one of course.

Turns out our monarch is a goblin
Uh oh, guys? Seems we were in fact in range of a necromancer. Or nine.
What sorts of megabeasts can we expect?
How numerous are our neighbors?
Can we even expect a fight from anything besides the caverns or are we doomed to boredom and demon slaying because there's literally nothing else to test all our convoluted goldbergian murder/capture contraptions and such on?
Wherebeasts in the area, and were any once people of note in a civ?
Vampires in our midsts?

For mild bonus points, no preparations either, just "embark now" and hope for the best.

I hope that gets what I meant across.

I agree limiting games to the ancient 'single fortress to play until fps death' style has been done to death. Luckily we're playing Dwarf Fortress and have whole worlds to explore.

I think this is done out of tradition and the fact it's considerably easier to keep organized to some degree. Unfortunately having whole worlds to explore is kind of moot when you're trying mainly to tell you and your own gaggle of drunken bumblfucks' part of that world's story, or the world's history is, for want of better terms, bland for one reason or another (playable civs are isolated leading to a lack of interesting happenings to it to build off of beyond them maybe being overly naive for a society of thier race, some civ type died out early leaving you without a possible source of entertainment, all the non-cave megabeasts died, that sort of thing.)

There is of course exploring every civ's histories and such, but that can get extremely tedious extremely quickly.

And sure, there's using Adventure mode to discover historical events, but that's an inherently fickle set up potentially doomed to failure because you could get killed on the would-be explorer's first encounter with an unusually aggressive chimpanzee or something, multiple times, leading to a very very short series of "idiot went exploring and got killed by X about a day and a half later" incidents, which could become rather frustrating quickly and difficult make work well from what I've seen (I'm ashamed to admit I cannot name a single adventure mode-based story, but then I like stories told from a larger scale more than one random smuch trying to not get eaten by swans or whatever.)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 07:49:31 pm »

When I say completely blind, I mean not knowing what you'll be in for for your world at all at the very start
Now there's an interesting idea.  Somebody generates a world, sets the embark and supplies, even writes a few rules and/or challenges.  However, the players who have signed up beforehand won't know any of this until the game starts.  I'm adding this to my Succession ideas thread

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 09:22:31 pm »

Well, in a hope to revive the great succession fort idea, I have began sign ups for my newest, and first non-sequel fort. Go check it out.

New Fort
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 10:23:50 am »

I'm interested if there's a spot.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 05:14:04 am »

When I say completely blind, I mean not knowing what you'll be in for for your world at all at the very start
Now there's an interesting idea.  Somebody generates a world, sets the embark and supplies, even writes a few rules and/or challenges.  However, the players who have signed up beforehand won't know any of this until the game starts.  I'm adding this to my Succession ideas thread

Shameless self plugging imminent...

I started a thread with that in mind, but I am not good at enticing people so there is no interest.

I think it would require someone that is great at the, for lack of the better word, marketing to get people excited about the stuff they do not get to expect for get-go.

Edit: Apologies for Necro, I did not notice this thread was dead for few months now-.- In my defense someone linked it as an inspiration for their game in the stories menu...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:18:30 am by exodius1 »
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 05:23:50 am »

I'll be honest; that idea doesn't appeal to me on its own for same reason picking an embark at random doesn't appeal to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3