Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Succession Game Ideas  (Read 6361 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game Ideas
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 04:08:24 pm »

An idea.

Let's call it OP (original post) Encouragement. 

1. OP posts some idea, theme, goal, or challenge.

2. OP should title it with a tag, something like [Idea Fort] which means OP is seeking input from readers, lurkers, and participants.

3. Replies would be in the form of "Bonus: Do x", "Mega Bonus: Do xx", "Dorf me: Urist Miner", or "Prefer y over x".

4. Maybe even add a poll if it gets traction.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 04:09:54 pm »

I plan on either doing a story fort or a succession fort using a random creature generator. My reasoning is I now know basically every creature off the top of my head. So populating a world with purely random creatures would be highly entertaining.

That would be funny if you get a mog adventurer. Mog is man + dog, he is his own best friend!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 10:04:33 am »

I think the loss of ambushers and the unreliability of invaders hurts newer versions of the game in succession forts, too. Getting enough interesting enemies to show up in the vanilla game is a big problem.

I believe this is a big turn off for a lot of people, yes.

It's anecdotal, and my last fort was a simple community fort and not a succession fort, but I'm convinced the lack of invaders severely curtailed interest in it.

To be fair, as a community fort that was probably exacerbated by the fact that players owned individual characters and not the fort.  So, if they had a soldier and no invasions ever happened, they get bored and lose interest.  By the time something did finally attack (a werecreature), everybody had quit already.

For succession forts, invasions are still an important source of spice and variety.  Even with megaprojects or screwing over previous overseers, the game just becomes kind of routine these days without them.  That's kind of related to general burnout, where people have either seen or been part of the same stuff for a long time.  The next game release promises to have player instigated attacks, so that might help alleviate some of the boredom.

But, that all really probably belonged in the other thread about the decline in interest.  As for ideas, I don't have much, I'm afraid.  I'm not interested in playing in succession games in general and prefer to stick to story / community forts where I can craft things carefully without worrying about whoever takes over next doing something bizarre.

One idea I've kicked around in the back of my mind was to try to solve the boredom-by-no-invasions problem by running a pure military fort, where literally everyone that could be drafted was.  It might even be amenable to succession games if you wrote it up as base commanders being reassigned.  If you could find somewhere appropriate to embark, such a setup might be mildly interesting, but short of plopping down next to a necromancer tower I'm not sure anything gives reliable invasions anymore.  That, and I'm sure military forts like that have been done plenty of times, so it's probably not an original idea at all.

Alternatively, I've been considering posting a story fort of some kind without public players, just as something to read.  Maybe even a hermit fort, since I've never tried that before.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 02:07:10 pm »

I've yet to see a succession game where HFS has been opened. 

If someone could setup a mechanic lock that opens a gate for a day or week once a year, then this gate to let out a bunch of clowns on an annual interval.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 05:53:11 pm »

If someone could setup a mechanic lock that opens a gate for a day or week once a year, then this gate to let out a bunch of clowns on an annual interval.
I like this so much, I have amended my list.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 06:30:49 pm »

I was thinking just use the HFS pit command to spawn a portal to funland right at the start, but that works too.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 05:15:52 pm »

I like this so much, I have amended my list.

If you want to do this, you'll have to do some serious DFhack wizardry to get it to work. After the initial wave of clowns, the Circus becomes just another biome - critters wander in, and don't path to the fort unless they have a reason to. So you'll have far lower numbers of siegers (although, they would be pretty powerful) but they won't path to the fort unless you lay a trail of bait animals for them to slaughter.

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 06:49:13 am »

I'm thinking of running a masterwork succession fort. Currently one idea is to run Slaver dwarves, some kind of Deep Legion thing, build a huge military camp style thing, slave markets, statues and monuments all over the place. Another idea is to build a hobbit village, but I'm not sure how to manage that one, maybe playing humans with Hobbit nicknames. A fun idea I had was to run the hobbit fort with the players only communicating in Hobbit style letters to one another. I really like the idea of a zoo fortress, in which the aim is to build a zoo containing as many types of animal as possible, or a Kobold fortress in which the aim is to build a gigantic pile of everything shiny that can be found, and defending the shiny pile from all comers with the least militarily effective race in the game.

Masterwork offers a massive amount of fun ideas that have almost never been explored, and it doesn't require nearly as much tailoring as it sounds like people feel it does. You don't need to have the same settings as one another on the masterwork launcher, only to share the save, and even if you did have to share settings, all it'd take would be the sharing of settings profiles between players. The lack of invaders problem is solved in a mod with fifteen more invader races at the least, and the different race play styles make for a massive number of new experiences.
The world is grey, the mountains old,
The forge's fire is ashen-cold;
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls:
The darkness dwells in Durin's halls;
The shadow lies upon his tomb
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 12:54:40 pm »

An maybe cool idea is electoral sucession idea:

1-A world is genned.
2-Players play this save for the duration of X in game time
3-Forum users and players vote at the best save.
4-The save of the winner is now the official one that will be used.
5-Go back to 2.

The problem is that this kind of election unlike real life one, involves time travel, you can see how the future will be and elect the guy will create the best future in your opinion.

A more complex and time consuming idea without time travel would be like this.
1-A random player play the genned world (his save will become the latest save) while others also do it.
2-The best save is selected between the latest non official ones.
3-The user with best save play the last official save (his save will be the new latest official save) while others also do it.
4-Go back to 2

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:52:05 pm by exdeath »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 08:35:12 pm »

Guys, revolutionary idea here

Dwarf Bread

Think about it, a mod that adds bread, cake, danishes, and loads more. It would be a welcome reprieve from the-

Yeah I need to get some sleep. As said, once Gloomdiamonds kicks the bucket, I will be starting a new fort. Most likelya blind fort with a few mods to spice things up
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 08:55:58 pm »

Guys, revolutionary idea here

Dwarf Bread

Think about it, a mod that adds bread, cake, danishes, and loads more. It would be a welcome reprieve from the-

Yeah I need to get some sleep. As said, once Gloomdiamonds kicks the bucket, I will be starting a new fort. Most likelya blind fort with a few mods to spice things up

I'm for a Bakery embark. 
need 3 items like lavish meals, but
1 part water or booze
1 part flour, plant + quern or millstone
1 part flavor: meat, cheese, egg, non-flour plant, or fruit.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 09:05:24 pm »

Go check out my new thread, I'm starying the sign up process now, but I will be holding off on starting till the new update comes out, be it a month or ten, But All players are welcome
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 09:11:47 am »

When Slaughterhelm eventually dies, I have two ideas:
 - A fort founded in a good biome. There's a regional interaction that revives and heals any sentient creature that dies.
 - A one-tile fort with a normal-sized population.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 09:17:13 am »

There's a regional interaction that revives and heals any sentient creature that dies.

Wait... if you do this, that means that when these creatures die, they come back to life. Makes sense. But here is the important question: if you chopped off a dwarf limb, and then the dwarf reanimated, would his limb fully heal as well? And if so, could you chop off a forgotten beast limb and get infinite forgotten beasts?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 09:29:30 am »

Some suggestions:

Incredibly small fort, occupying only one of those tiles used when selecting the size of your fort.

Island fortress, with invaders somehow still turned on (mods?)

Polder fort, where the goal is to turn a large swathe of sea/lake into land, and then build the fort on there.

Classist fort, where dwarves are separated by class and living conditions. They could either be separated for their families, jobs, skills, gods worshiped etc.

No-dig fortress, might have been done before but still truly a challenge. Can be either no digging at all, or not digging through rocks.

Sealed off fortress, where the starting seven seal themselves off from the outer world and will never see the surface again.

Open entry fortress, no doors blocking invaders/monsters from entering the fort, thus requiring one helluva militia.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4