Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crusader Kings II: The English Adventures of the de Crepon Dynasty  (Read 2975 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Crusader Kings II is a grand strategy video game published in 2011 by Paradox Interactive, a sequel to their 2007 cult classic Crusader Kings. Unlike their other popular grand strategy games, like Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron, where the player controls the generally amorphous government of a nation-state, players in Crusader Kings control a dynastic succession of rulers throughout the Early, High, and Late Middle Ages, and each character in the game has their own statistics, personality traits, and character portraits. Players can arrange marriages, conquer land, usurp titles, and, of course, fight in Crusades (deus vult!), whether as a lowly count or the emperor of all Europe. Expansions to the game have added many more functions, like allowing players to play as Muslims, pagans, or nomads, and adding features such as earlier start dates and more complex internal politics.

This Let's Play will be focusing on the exploits of the de Crepon dynasty. William de Crepon was an earl in England under William the Conqueror, the Norman duke who conquered England in 1066. This game will begin on December 26th, the day after William's coronation as the King of England. I will be focusing on telling a story with the characters and playing them based on their traits, rather than trying to usurp titles and "paint the map" as fast as possible.

Spoiler: DLC and Settings (click to show/hide)

Rulers
William de Crepon, 1026 - 1067 | Part One
Roger de Crepon, 1056 - 1109 | Part One, Part Two, Part Three

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:20:40 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings II: The English Adventures of the de Crepon Dynasty
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 07:04:05 am »

PTW. 'Tis quite promising AAR, but what are your goals in the campaign? Uniting British Isles or some other, bigger goal?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 07:03:25 pm »

I'm hoping to eventually usurp the throne and create Britannia, but I don't intend to, say, kill my best friend for power, or use my kids as bargaining tools, unless I have no other choice or it fits the character (e.g. a cruel, ambitious, or arbitrary character.) I won't deliberately act stupid or do self-destructive things just because my character is an idiot, but I won't go around shanking people for power if my character is canonically a nice guy or a family man.

Basically, I'm not going to go for the standard Tywin Lannister wannabe playstyle unless the character is a Tywin Lannister wannabe.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 08:20:32 am »

PTW. Looking good so far.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 05:44:18 am »

My wife keeps telling me I need to get help with my "addiction". "See a priest," she says, "have him help you learn temperance and patience". Bah! To hell with that. I can stop drinking whenever I want. I don't need any help!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:17:40 pm by Tawa »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 03:17:16 pm »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 10:03:34 am »

Holy shit, I laughed so hard when it said Roger was a wicked man!
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 02:05:25 pm »

William seems like a good guy. Hopefully he'll avoid the clutches of Rayner.  :P

I think it'd be good to get a few matrilineal marriages for a few of the female de Crepons. Having a bigger dynasty should help safe guard against unforeseen Rayner disasters.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 04:14:54 pm »

That is one glorious moustache. A man that dedicated to his facial hair must also be passionately devoted to his realm and subjects. I foresee a golden age for the de Crepons!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 05:12:29 pm »

I'm not done with the next update yet, but I just wanted to mention two things:

- I started this before I found out that the English melting pot doesn't work correctly on default settings (the idea is that English forms from Anglo-Saxon and Norman around 1100, so that William and his kids have to sit through 50 years of Anglo-Saxons being sore over the conquest before everybody finds a happy medium, but at that pace the Normans start to accidentally convert counties to Norman before they can turn English. "Faster Melting Pots" fixes this issue.) I'm going to see if I can find some way to make England English somewhere down the line, but as it stands England is halfway between being Anglo-Saxon and Norman, with a few rare smatterings of English culture here and there.
- I also started this before the 2.7.0.2 patch, leaving the Secret Religious Cults option to "default". I might encounter a small issue where Catholicism falls to secret Orthodox cultists or something like that. No big deal.

Holy shit, I laughed so hard when it said Roger was a wicked man!
For some reason, Pride always seems to take precedence over any other traits when calculating how good of a person somebody is. It's particularly funny in the Game of Thrones mod, where the all-around great guy and candidate for "nicest character in the series" is consistently deemed upon his death a horrible person because he has the Proud trait.