Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread  (Read 15698 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Picture Wars, WIP/General thread
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:31:45 pm »

Picture Wars is a game in which everything is customizable to a single pixel.

In this thread, PW players can post to get help and C&C (Comments & criticism)  on sprites, whatever the problem is or you just created an army that you want to share.
This is also a place to start games and discuss PW in general.

Important!
If you are a PW player and are using firefox please check this out: http://picturewars.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=96

Current Games:
none
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 11:06:33 pm by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Wars, WIP thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 11:43:03 pm »

https://www.getpaint.net/

Is this the real paint.NET site? Looks kinda janky to me.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

stefman

• Bay Watcher
  • Techno-commie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 01:49:03 am »

https://www.getpaint.net/

Is this the real paint.NET site? Looks kinda janky to me.
Despite how it looks, it is an official site.
Russians are coming!

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 01:56:46 am »

Ah, okay. Cool. Nice to know, though I do have to ask why they haven't touched up the layout.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 03:50:05 am »

http://imgur.com/a/lEj5q

My first ever sheet for an army...I think it looks pretty good, but I'd like to see what other people think.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 05:21:55 am »

For whatever reason the units are blurred, could you try uploading them again? I will give you C&C then.
By the way my WIP demons that I'm gonna use in our match:
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 05:37:53 am »

http://imgur.com/a/5O7rd

Yeah, I knew that, but was too distracted. The image looks a little small on my end, but I can tell how it looks.

If its still unreadable, I can CTRL-C/CTRL-V into a space with higher dimensions.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 05:57:20 am »

It is still blurred:
Here is a close up of one of the blurred units:

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 06:00:03 am »

Oh, no! I just used the paintbrush tool in Paint.net to give it a little more detail. I guess, in hindsight, it does blur it a little too much, so I can clear them up if it helps.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 06:02:11 am »

Oh, no! I just used the paintbrush tool in Paint.net to give it a little more detail. I guess, in hindsight, it does blur it a little too much, so I can clear them up if it helps.
You have to press the anti alias button on the top when using the brush and filling tool.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 06:03:36 am »

Got it. I'll clear it up and post a third version.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 06:13:28 am »

http://imgur.com/a/GlFIG

Cleared up the artwork a little more, and redrew the Cultist's bomb. I also redrew the Shoggoth. Cthulhu is still painted because I honestly think it looks better that way.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 06:48:00 am »

The units are still blurred, but don't worry. I'm writing a long C&C post, which turned out to be more of a tutorial.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 07:09:55 am »

Go ahead and open this up in paint.net. Because as I said the units were still blurred I just took one and copied it to another image.
I cleared it up and the first thing I did was, I changed the background, you shouldn't work on such a dark background because it will change your perspective of colors.

Step two is I googled a reference image of a peasant, because it seemed like a good starting point.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I chose a natural color for his clothes and using it I gave him a more natural pose. I deleted a few pixels from the arms and I played around with the head and eyes.
Your colors are saturated up to 100% and that gives them an unnatural look, so try to desaturate them a bit. I played around with different clothes parts and gave him a skirt and a hat of the same color. I decided that a sword isn't a peasant thing and gave him a hoe (though this is just my preference and not important).
 As you can see I used a total of five colors for the guy not counting his weapon and it looks nice but it's simple (by the way it's a good idea to keep a color palette on the side).
So here is another important PW rule: "keep it simple silly" (KISS).

Now what I would like you to do is play around with different colors and unit positions, maybe give them a little running pose. Leave the big cthulu for now and come back to it when you are feeling confident in creating smaller dudes and 25px dudes, because they will be the base of your army and are the best starting point.

Edit: By the way here is how I work in Paint.net:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:12:26 am by snow dwarf »

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 07:12:49 am »

Well, yes, the peasant was a good starting point, but I was making cultists, so they should have darker, one note robes. The sword and trident were supposed to be stolen weapons, so they would have an edge for sacrifices. I probably should have said something, but what can you do. The rest of the tips are nice, but I wanna keep my human infantry how they are.

EDIT: Well, that was mean of me. You honestly did a good job, and having a demonstration has helped. I was just a big miffed. I am a bit tired.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:35:12 am by Greatness942 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13