Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: "Simple" Dwarven Fort, It's cold here (succession fort) Grab the save!  (Read 30532 times)

AWearerOfScarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok.
By the way, this is the first time I've done this. I may miss a lot. I hope not. But it may happen. Also, could I rename an incoming migrant dwarf or a dwarf not taken by somebody else with my username?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:07:42 pm by AWearerOfScarves »
23rd Felsite, 137.
The mayor is pondering reproductive behaviour again.
At least it is not in the middle of an invasion like last time.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

sure, name as many as you like. It's why we have so many dwarves named after bands

AWearerOfScarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a small thing before I begin:

Town Oddomezar - Overseer Log of Scarf, 6th Overseer of Cloisteredsoldiers

20th Timber 137
So, I got up today, got dressed in my quarters, went out into the street passageway to start hauling a plump helmet to the food stock-pile, only to be stopped in my tracks by a tall, skinny, moustached, long-braided, sparse-haired person. This person, whose name I learnt to be that of Pikachu17 Keskalostar, our Overseer; and the moment he laid his eyes upon me, he declared that I was the new Overseer, that all I needed was to look over the notes and papers he'd left behind, and that I'm was not allowed a change from my usual hauling activities. Bummer. He then ran off, leaving me bewildered in my early-morning sleepiness. Still, after a while, I set out to do my job, feeling rather merry that I had received such an honor.

I made a short inspection of the fort. Firstly, while the fort entrance is comprised of a series of long passageways, leading to a stockpile and then on to the rest of the fort, giving us sufficient time to rouse and raise our armed forces, I haven't failed to notice the partial route down to our Fort from the outside, with a stair missing, happily stopping any invaders from taking that route down to our Fort... Unless they fly or fall in.
Our food stocks are good, and more alcohol is being brewed as I write. I notice that we only have a single Engineer to make mechanisms, making it difficult to produce siege weaponry, unless I pause the production of mechanisms. Our tombs are handsome. I note with concern that we seem to have very few blank scrolls and sheets for our philosophers and scribes to work with. We have six written works, as well two artifact quires, still unbound into books. I took a look at the notes left behind by the previous overseer on the execution. It chills me to my bones that we should have need of such a function; what's worse is that we not only lose the corpses, but also any apparel upon them. A waste. I also cannot comprehend the previous overseer's decision to starve children to death in their rooms. I released them immediately.

I checked the lower levels and found that our cavern entrances are all connected to a single, 1-by-3 shaft going straight through the fort to the main entrance. After the last main area, the bedrooms, the shaft continues, and there is an increasing amount of corpses, blood, body parts and dropped clothing as the shaft goes deeper. The first cavern layer (at level 37) has almost no remains. At level 32, there is what may be an unimaginable amount of wealth locked into stone. An entire vein of gold, more than thirty units long! This also the only part of the shaft that has any form of defense; ten doors to prevent any visit from the caverns. The second cavern layer (at layer -9) is a blood-bath, corpses, blood and bolts everywhere. It is also even less defended than the upper levels. Finally, the final cavern layer (at layer -18). Water; and we will have difficulty going forward. Most of our efforts have been flooded, and below is the magma sea. We will have to exercise caution in furthering our excavations. And I chill in the realization that we, despite our military prowess, are a sitting duck without a bottom to stand on nor a helmet. We need to fix this, fast. And now I have just realized there is no problem, the shaft is blocked anyway.

Not much is happening in terms of industry and production, but that isn't a priority for now. Our hospital seems to doubling as a place of worship, and we have no traction beds. We are missing gypsum powder for casts for broken bodies and bones, as well as traction benches.

I have decided that the first priority is to put in place a rock-block stockade, a few levels high, with the view that expansion will be necessary. Then, a new temple (or temples) shall be carved out, smoothed and decorated, and the hospital freed from the gaggle of earnest worshippers that could flood and distract our doctor. The two artifact quires will be bound and placed into the Library, more sheets, scroll rollers, scrolls, thread and blank quires will be produced for the Library's consumption. I shall also make sure to purchase any written works that come with the wares of the traders. I will pick another dwarf as an engineer in charge of making traction benches, siege engines, vast, complex construction etc. I also agree with the previous overseer's suggestion of culling some of our large animal population. We should either hunt for gypsum to make gypsum powder from it, or purchase some from the traders. The fort also needs a clean.

Perhaps if I manage all this, we can commence operations to haul our industry up to a suitable level of activity, and perhaps even prepare to reopen the caverns below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
23rd Felsite, 137.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

Can I go next? Also:

23rd Felsite, 137.

May I sig this?
Yes. I'm honored to be sigged.
It chills me to my bones that we should have need of such a function; what's worse is that we not only lose the corpses, but also any apparel upon them.
Actually, the squad "Suicide Squad", whose only purpose is to station dwarves at the execution chamber, has a special condition that they don't wear clothes, so they put them all in stockpile. I suppose they might wear something, but it won't be weapons, armor, or clothing.
I also cannot comprehend the previous overseer's decision to starve children to death in their rooms. I released them immediately.
You must be new to the game. Children don't do anything useful, they take our food supplies, mess with the FPS a little, and will have no useful skills when they grow up. But it was your decision whether you let them out or not. If I had wanted to ensure their deaths I wouldn't have mentioned them. Anyway, you should probably remove them from the burrow "Good Children", if you want them to live.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

If possible, please let the children live. Chances are they'll be the kids from the first fort and I want our survivors to live.
Also enriching the lore or whatever

AWearerOfScarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not new to DF. I think I've been playing it on-off for the past three years. I know children are essentially useless until they grow up, but I don't want the negative moods from their deaths and corpses. I don't think a tantrum spiral would happen, but then again, it might. Besides, for all their uselessness, we could use them as lures for our traps.
23rd Felsite, 137.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

Besides, for all their uselessness, we could use them as lures for our traps.
While I appreciate the using of children as bait, how would you do so? You can't command children to sit somewhere, can you?

Oh, and maybe the caverns should have some support-traps.
You know what those are, right? You get a support, put an otherwise unsupported floor on it, and either cage traps around the support, or more floors to crush th FB.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:34:05 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

AWearerOfScarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi. I'm going to be without internet access for most of the coming week (up until Sunday) due to travel reasons. I haven't done much. Should I try to play a little bit more and write a quick write-up, or play and write during the rest of the week, and upload as soon as I can, or just upload the save now with a quick apology.
23rd Felsite, 137.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

second option, try to do as much as you can and then the next player can finish off the year

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

Hey guys sorry that I disappeared but health problems and traveling and stuff. I'm back though and gonna update the OP some time soon.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

Cheers Snow Dwarf, things are going ok, on turn 7 (?) I think.
Don't bother with a turn list, whoever wants to go can go really, as long as we keep things organised.
If you want you can give a few rules on the OP or a few noteworthy quotes/dorfs

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: "Simple" Dwarven Fort, It's cold here (succession fort) Grab the save!
« Reply #266 on: August 28, 2017, 08:33:38 am »

I think I could grab the save, however I'm making it known that I probably won't do anything useful and will just look at the dwarves and build giant statues.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2017, 08:44:43 am »

I hate to be that guy but we do need to hurry the fort along. If awearerofscarves has not finished or uploaded their turn by the 4th of September, the fortress is free for the taking.

AWearerOfScarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 04, 2017, 03:04:00 pm »

22nd Timber 137

Turns out I was wrong about the state of our shaft. We can reach the caverns. I've set up orders to make some magma-proof blocks for the stockade, and stone-fall traps are being constructed in the passageways to the entrance. More trap components are being forged. I've designated an enlargement of our farms, in part to increase our alcohol production with plump helmets and cave wheat, and in part to start growing more pig tail plants, sweet pods, dimple cups and quarry bushes. We are also milling pretty much anything that is millable, in the hopes of regaining some of the quarry bush and pig tail seeds.

23rd Timber 137

'ABBA' Kolekur, Wardwar has grown attached to a bronze buckler!
Also, we've slaughtered a couple of animals.

24th Timber 137

Going through our Dead and Missing Log, I have discovered that we have over 31 missing dwarves. I wonder where they all went, and whether there is something upon their dissappearance written in the previous Overseers' logs. Well, just in case, I'll have some slabs put up to them.
'Mūthkat Zithiserush, Swordmaster has grown attached to a steel shield!'

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:18:14 pm by AWearerOfScarves »
23rd Felsite, 137.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 06, 2017, 05:35:12 am »

I won't be taking the fortress and feel like the story of simple Dwarven fort has come to an end... It was great fun and I might start something new some time
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19