Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Backpacking in indonesia on an extremely tight budget  (Read 1980 times)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Backpacking in indonesia on an extremely tight budget
« on: April 01, 2017, 11:27:28 am »

Posted this already on some sites on the internet, but i really love the wise dwarf fortress community and so i´ll try my luck here as well. :) Basically i´d like to travel around indonesia starting in octobre and would love to hear some opinions/answers from you guys. Okay, here we go.

Budget: I would be travelling on an extremely tight budget. Very tight. If i will have a few hundred euros available after flight/insurance/visa/equipment costs i´ll count myself lucky. I´m fully prepared and willing to deal with any inconvenience arising from this. Thankfully i don´t plan on doing anything touristy, surfing or diving related.

Information about myself: 24 years old, white, german, male. Blue hair. (How strange would blue hair be for indonesians?) small tattoos on the right arm and leg. Physically fit enough. While strictly speaking not one, i´d identify as a buddhist while travelling indonesia.

1) Food and sustenance. I´m used to fasting, doing it in prepartion from time to time, and can also live on humble rice basically forever. But considering indonesias famous fertility i actually imagine that it would quite often be possible to forage some fruits and vegetables from my surroundings. (Ofc, i don´t want to steal someones harvest. And ofc i would inform myself about edible plants before i do this.) Am i right in this assessment? Basically i´d plan carrying some rice and a cooker with me, supplementing my diet with some cheaply bought or foraged plants. Is this a viable setup?

2) Travel and accomodation. My dream would be to travel around the country, mostly on foot. I greatly enjoy walking and also wish to see the countryside. I could bring or acquire a tent and would mostly be comfortable sleeping outdoors. Are there laws in place, which might hinder me? Is there a decent couch surfing community active in the larger cities? If i wander the countryside and would come upon a small village, would i be able to find accomodation there? For that matter- How densely populated are the rural areas of indonesia? If i set out to walk a whole day through the countryside could i expect to chance upon a village/town? Will i be able to hop from island to island with little cash?

3) Wildlife. Hailing from germany my only experience with dangerous wildlife was one night when we chanced upon some boars in the forest. However, this doesn´t compare to the wildlife of indonesia- Tigers, elephants, rhinos, various snakes, scorpions, mosquitoes and even giant lizards. Considering i´d like to travel around the countryside i feel a bit anxious about this part. What are your opinions on this matter? I don´t think it´s a nice experience to meet a tiger or get bitten by something venomous in the middle of nowhere. Are there ways to minimize the risks? How dangerous exactly are all those poisonous/venomous creatures? Could i count on finding life-saving treatment in time? Is it possible/viable to get and carry some medicine/antidote with me?

4) Mosquitoes. Should i get a vaccination against malaria, or only carry some pills with me? What about dengue?

5) The wet season. I´m aware that the rainy season starts right when i want to travel. How much of a hassle is this, really? I´d reckon that rain might actually be quite nice in this tropical area. Again, i´d like to travel around the countryside so the hassle might be quite a bit bigger than i´d expect.

6) Carrying a staff. I practice staff fighting, and would like to continue with this even while travelling. (Besides, considering that i´m travelling alone it might just give me the security i need in dangerous situations, when common sense and running away fail me.) I doubt that there are any laws in place to forbid the carrying of a staff, but i ask just in case. Also: are there martial arts using a long staff (My staff of choice is 1,80 m long) being practicied in indonesia, which i could probably check out?

7 ) Language. My language skills consist of very good spoken english, very good german and a smattering of latin. Obviously i would try to get as proficient as possible with indonesian before starting my trip. What other local languages i should check out?

8 ) Islands to visit. I´m still unsure which places exactly to visit. Ideally i´d like to check out everything, but that certainly won´t be possible. The Malay peninsula and sumatra are probably a given. Java/Kalimantan and Sulawesi would also be very nice. I´m also curious about ternate, tidore and halmahera, but those small islands might be too far out for me. Some opionions about which islands i should definitely visit would be nice.

9 ) Earning money on the fly. Considering my small budget, i will almost definitely run into money troubles. So- Is it viable at all to earn some money on the fly in indonesia? I don´t have any particular skills or craft, apart from my fluency in english and german.

10 ) Safety. Are there any areas which might be particulary dangerous for a lone traveller? Any no-go areas? Places with high unrest? What about corruption and bribes? If i have to bribe, what is a good amount to give- And in which situations?

11 ) Flying. Oh boy. I have never flown in a big aircraft before, so i´m kinda anxious about this part. I have heard some horror stories about unsafe indonesian airlines, so are there any you can recommend? Any especially good airports where i should try to arrive?

12 ) Anything else you can think of. Really, any information or hint or warning is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Backpacking in indonesia on an extremely tight budget
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 12:18:51 pm »

Dude, don't do it. Seriously.

United Forenia Forever!

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:27:29 pm »

And why shouldn`t i? Because i´m too inexperienced? Because i don´t have much money? Because i seem too anxious, whatvs? I know a few people who did similar stuff (alone, backpacking in india/peru on a tight budget) and everything turned out to be fine and an amazing experience.

I reckon that as long as i have enough money to fly back when i can´t stand it anymore and as long as i don`t die, i have nothing to lose. I appreciate the answer, but without any reasons given it won`t help me.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 01:29:20 pm »

Why Indonesia? At least try to avoid Timor and Northern Sumatra.

Earning without literally selling yourself is going to be tough if you dont know the language or culture.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 01:34:44 pm »

I just fell in love with the country from afar. I´m hugely into history and the specific history of the various islands is quite fascinating for me. I also like my weather extremely hot and my food extremely spicy. And the nature there looks so gorgeous.  Also, i want to travel as far away as possible for me.

The only real contender for me at the moment is india.

Timor wasn`t on my list anyway. Thanks about north sumatra, though.

I will also check out those organic farm deals, where you basically work a few hours a day at some farm and get food and a roof over your head.  If i find enough of those scattered around the country, i know a few exist at least, it might help me to sustain myself on a budget.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:38:01 pm by Lordinquisitor »

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 02:20:37 pm »

Ok, point by point. Full disclaimer: I'm not Indonesian, I'm from Singapore, a city-state neighbouring Indonesia. However, I have been to Indonesia multiple times (more than just Batam/Bintan) and have some experience in jungle living in Brunei.

Budget: I would be travelling on an extremely tight budget. Very tight. If i will have a few hundred euros available after flight/insurance/visa/equipment costs i´ll count myself lucky. I´m fully prepared and willing to deal with any inconvenience arising from this. Thankfully i don´t plan on doing anything touristy, surfing or diving related.

Budget isn't likely to be much of an issue at all, considering the exchange rate of rupiah to euro. If you truly don't do anything touristy you can maybe get by on 100 euro a day.

Information about myself: 24 years old, white, german, male. Blue hair. (How strange would blue hair be for indonesians?) small tattoos on the right arm and leg. Physically fit enough. While strictly speaking not one, i´d identify as a buddhist while travelling indonesia

Blue hair is strange for rural Indonesians, which will probably be all of those you'll interact with. Regardless, Indonesians are mostly very nice people, so there won't be trouble ... except if you self-identify as Buddhist without knowing much about it. Seriously, wtf? Pretending to be another religion to fit in = big no no.

1) Food and sustenance. I´m used to fasting, doing it in prepartion from time to time, and can also live on humble rice basically forever. But considering indonesias famous fertility i actually imagine that it would quite often be possible to forage some fruits and vegetables from my surroundings. (Ofc, i don´t want to steal someones harvest. And ofc i would inform myself about edible plants before i do this.) Am i right in this assessment? Basically i´d plan carrying some rice and a cooker with me, supplementing my diet with some cheaply bought or foraged plants. Is this a viable setup?

Sorry to break it to you, but foraging for food is not actually enough to survive on if you haven't been doing it for years and have experience. And bringing a rice cooker? Where do you plan on getting electricity if not stealing it? I would strongly strongly suggest buying food instead.

2) Travel and accomodation. My dream would be to travel around the country, mostly on foot. I greatly enjoy walking and also wish to see the countryside. I could bring or acquire a tent and would mostly be comfortable sleeping outdoors. Are there laws in place, which might hinder me? Is there a decent couch surfing community active in the larger cities? If i wander the countryside and would come upon a small village, would i be able to find accomodation there? For that matter- How densely populated are the rural areas of indonesia? If i set out to walk a whole day through the countryside could i expect to chance upon a village/town? Will i be able to hop from island to island with little cash?

No idea about local laws w.r.t. camping, but you may wish to take into account the climate difference between Indonesia/Germany when buying a tent. No idea about couch surfing. Likely no accommodation (in the sense of a hostel) in small villages, but you may be able to pay to sleep in someone's house (if you're comfortable with that). Not very densely populated at all, compared to Germany. Island hopping with little cash possible if you pay a fisherman to bring you around, but beware getting scammed and not ending up where you want to be.

3) Wildlife. Hailing from germany my only experience with dangerous wildlife was one night when we chanced upon some boars in the forest. However, this doesn´t compare to the wildlife of indonesia- Tigers, elephants, rhinos, various snakes, scorpions, mosquitoes and even giant lizards. Considering i´d like to travel around the countryside i feel a bit anxious about this part. What are your opinions on this matter? I don´t think it´s a nice experience to meet a tiger or get bitten by something venomous in the middle of nowhere. Are there ways to minimize the risks? How dangerous exactly are all those poisonous/venomous creatures? Could i count on finding life-saving treatment in time? Is it possible/viable to get and carry some medicine/antidote with me?

Tigers are extremely rare (I think endangered?), so are elephants, rhinos; the fact that you're worrying about them shows how unprepared you are, worry about saltwater crocodiles instead. Poisonous fauna and flora are much more dangerous, but not many are all that life threatening ... except if you're backpacking alone and have no one to help you if you do get bitten. Do not carry antidotes and try to administer them yourself, for the love of god. Nearby medical facilities should carry relevant ones, with the added benefit of having actual doctors.

4) Mosquitoes. Should i get a vaccination against malaria, or only carry some pills with me? What about dengue?

Malaria vaccine is ineffective, get pills and take them regularly instead. Dengue is not that serious when treated, and there's a vaccine but that may be out of your price range.

5) The wet season. I´m aware that the rainy season starts right when i want to travel. How much of a hassle is this, really? I´d reckon that rain might actually be quite nice in this tropical area. Again, i´d like to travel around the countryside so the hassle might be quite a bit bigger than i´d expect.

It will make your nights very miserable if you're staying outdoors, and if you're travelling on foot.

6) Carrying a staff. I practice staff fighting, and would like to continue with this even while travelling. (Besides, considering that i´m travelling alone it might just give me the security i need in dangerous situations, when common sense and running away fail me.) I doubt that there are any laws in place to forbid the carrying of a staff, but i ask just in case. Also: are there martial arts using a long staff (My staff of choice is 1,80 m long) being practicied in indonesia, which i could probably check out?

No laws against staves, but if you think you can adequately defend yourself with one you're mistaken. How well will you and your staff do against 2-3 guys teaming up on you with parangs?

7 ) Language. My language skills consist of very good spoken english, very good german and a smattering of latin. Obviously i would try to get as proficient as possible with indonesian before starting my trip. What other local languages i should check out?

THIS IS A BIG RED FLAG. While it's perfectly possible to get around Jakarta or Bali not knowing a single word of Bahasa Indonesia, out of the tourist areas and cities, you will not be able to communicate in any meaningful way. You will likely be getting scammed in every transaction, and I have no idea how you're going to get transport or directions to anywhere from the locals. As for other local languages, Indonesia is a hotspot for linguistic diversity which I don't know much about. Malay is basically the exact same language with some pronunciation differences, though.

8 ) Islands to visit. I´m still unsure which places exactly to visit. Ideally i´d like to check out everything, but that certainly won´t be possible. The Malay peninsula and sumatra are probably a given. Java/Kalimantan and Sulawesi would also be very nice. I´m also curious about ternate, tidore and halmahera, but those small islands might be too far out for me. Some opionions about which islands i should definitely visit would be nice.

Honestly, you should probably stick to Sumatra and Java. Also, Malaysia is not Indonesia.

9 ) Earning money on the fly. Considering my small budget, i will almost definitely run into money troubles. So- Is it viable at all to earn some money on the fly in indonesia? I don´t have any particular skills or craft, apart from my fluency in english and german.

No, absolutely not. As you said, you don't have any skills, so it's just manual labour or odd jobs, which will absolutely not cover your expenses. And in any case, most people won't hire a foreigner who doesn't even speak their language.

10 ) Safety. Are there any areas which might be particulary dangerous for a lone traveller? Any no-go areas? Places with high unrest? What about corruption and bribes? If i have to bribe, what is a good amount to give- And in which situations?

I would say everywhere outside of a city is dangerous for a lone traveller, but specifically for unrest, avoid Papua and Aceh I guess. And do not offer bribes, unless you will literally be arrested, sentenced and convicted without recourse to your embassy. You'll probably be paying a lot of unintentional bribes anyway if you don't know the legitimate prices of things (and can't ask).

11 ) Flying. Oh boy. I have never flown in a big aircraft before, so i´m kinda anxious about this part. I have heard some horror stories about unsafe indonesian airlines, so are there any you can recommend? Any especially good airports where i should try to arrive?

Garuda (the carrier you've probably heard about) is okay these days. You may wish to try budget airlines like AirAsia or Tiger Airways, but I don't know if they fly to Germany, most are just regional. You may try flying to Singapore (shameless plug) Changi Airport, then transferring to a budget airline to Jakarta or elsewhere in Indonesia, though.

12 ) Anything else you can think of. Really, any information or hint or warning is appreciated.
I reckon that as long as i have enough money to fly back when i can´t stand it anymore and as long as i don`t die, i have nothing to lose. I appreciate the answer, but without any reasons given it won`t help me.

I would strongly advise you to not do this. If you must, try Thailand or Vietnam instead, both are much more conducive to backpacking. Why did you even pick Indonesia, if I may ask? What are you hoping to gain out of this trip, soul-searching? Trust me, there are much better ways to do that, try backpacking in Europe.

Your cavalier response about having enough money to fly back and 'as long as i don't die' really underscores how unprepared you are. What if you end up robbed and don't even have enough money to make it back to a city, let alone fly back? Or if you get bitten by a snake and are too weak to walk to the road? Or if you wake up and discover that the rain swept away your belongings in the night? The doing it alone part is really the most impractical component of this endeavour.

Anyway, I realise that my curt answer up there wasn't really polite, so sorry for that.

United Forenia Forever!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 02:31:27 pm »

I'll second every point.

If you just wish to backpack in the wilderness(actual wilderness and not in a park 500 meters from paved road) just come here to Finland or go to Sweden, both countries have so called "every man's rights" enabling you to tent, walk, gather and fish anywhere but at peoples backyards, and theres also real wilderness where you may trek for a week and not meet another human being.

Food and travel cost as much as in Germany but at least you wont get robbed, stabbed or killed by wildlife.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 03:13:52 pm »

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, i appreciate it greatly. I didn´t think that your short answer was rude, though. Just not as detailed as i would have liked.  :)

Well, i´m mostly a buddhist. Mostly. I believe in the four noble truths and the noble eightfold path, but i have my own interpretations about reincarnation and other matters. Just heard once that you have to state your religion when entering indonesia, and they don`t accept atheist. (Might be false, though.) Claiming to be a buddhist would just be for small-talk matters in cases where, because of language, i can`t adequately explain myself.

Budget. 100 € a day would allow me to stay there for, a week maybe. I was rather planning on using far less. A filling meal a day and enough water to live, nothing more, that´s the baseline and what i´m expecting, with the odd buck here and there if i absolutely need to pay for transportation/accomodation and supplies.

1.) Not a rice cooker, but simply a camping stove. I worded this rather poorly i guess. Ha, i also expected the foraging part- Don´t worry, my whole idea wasn`t planned around this, it just came to my mind.

2.) Pretty much what i was expecting. I would also be comfortable to strike my tent within the confines or just outside a village.

3.) Wasn´t worrying about something in particular, just in general, and listing examples. So you´d say crocodiles are the thing i should be mostly aware about? Good to know. I don´t enjoy swimming anyway.

4.) Thanks!

5.) I guess so. Is it really that bad at night? Doesn´t a good and stable tent offer adequate protection?

6.) Don´t worry, i don´t think i´m some kind of martial arts master. If someone would attack me, i´d run away. Actually using my staff would always be a last resort. In the first place, it just a hobby and training i want to keep up. In the second place it might be some kind of mild determent. I´d give myself 50:50 odds against a lone attacker with a melee weapon, but as i have said, i´d rather run away.

7.) Well, that´s why i´m going to try and learn as much as possible. At the very least all phrases which might reasonably come in handy.

8.) Shoot. I looked at some bad map and thought that a part of the malay peninsula belonged to indonesia. Ha. Thanks for pointing this out.

9 & 10 ) good pointers and thanks.

//

As stated above. Really like everything i so far learned about indonesia, that whole region in general. It´s just one of my deepest wishes to experience those places. I also thought about thailand and vietnam, but i´m overall more interested in indonesia. It might be more practical, though, and i will consider it. Travelling around europe will be done this summer, altough i don´t care much about europe.

I´m not searching for something in particular. I just want to experience myself in this, likely quite often uncomfortable, experience and see what happens.

hui, hoi. All of those scenarios would be pretty shitty. Though, this cavalier attitude is part of my view on life. What if i step outside and get run over by one of those horrible drunk german drivers? What if i pull an Pyrrhos and a piece of roof falls/get´s thrown on/ my head? Karma. Whatever. Shouldn´t keep one from experiencing things.  But obviously one should try to minimize the risks through preparation and knowledge, and that´s why i´m asking.

Thanks for your answer!

//Erkki

Yes, the northlands are awesome. A few friends of mine had their fair share of fun and camping up there. However, the summer is already planned out and i absolutely abhor the cold, that´s why i won´t be possible for me to visit scandinavia this year.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:17:36 pm by Lordinquisitor »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 07:50:48 pm »

I will third everyone's concerns on general principle.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 11:03:19 pm »

I will third everyone's concerns on general principle.
I'd fourth it here--especially Azzuro's notes. Although, I am from the Philippines and haven't been to Indonesia, I'd like to add that while the idea of the national language may be pervasive--you will encounter people speaking and mostly proficient/comfortable with their local dialect too. I don't have any experience on how travelers backpack but...the assumption I'm working on is that 'travel' means 'visiting the local places and tourist hotspots' rather than 'travel the countryside'; the idea of urban instead of rural, because there is an important note of the community system emphasized in the latter.

Sorry to break it to you, but foraging for food is not actually enough to survive on if you haven't been doing it for years and have experience. And bringing a rice cooker? Where do you plan on getting electricity if not stealing it? I would strongly strongly suggest buying food instead.
Wholeheartedly this. Experience and training is needed, quite much in a place that is extremely unknown to you.

Also chart out your travel plans with a map. Most tourist centers or airports have them for sale for specific regions or provinces too.

THIS IS A BIG RED FLAG. While it's perfectly possible to get around Jakarta or Bali not knowing a single word of Bahasa Indonesia, out of the tourist areas and cities, you will not be able to communicate in any meaningful way. You will likely be getting scammed in every transaction, and I have no idea how you're going to get transport or directions to anywhere from the locals. As for other local languages, Indonesia is a hotspot for linguistic diversity which I don't know much about. Malay is basically the exact same language with some pronunciation differences, though.
There's also the notice of that people will be looking for meaning rather than the specific phrases at times too. Dialect-wise, non-verbal communication can aid you when you notice your words falling short [and that WILL be a problem most of all, if there is a lack of communication].
Most people however are friendly, and the note of being 'scammed' is rather a warning ahead because while you may meet a ton of friendly people, those with ulterior motives are at times the ones who take initiative to be with you. It's rather a warning because they don't represent the majority of the people you will meet.

Also please put in mind and memorize the local transportation methods :/ Alongside the note of CHARTING your path above, there will be specific dialects widespread over specific provinces; PLAN your...backpacking. :O As I've no idea what backpacking means.

Malay is basically the exact same language with some pronunciation differences, though.
*high-five from the Philippines* :3
Also + to this. There are differences in the language in SEA, but there are many commonalities too.
However knowing these differences is important :P Common terms however, like 'help' or otherwise, are shared though.

No, absolutely not. As you said, you don't have any skills, so it's just manual labour or odd jobs, which will absolutely not cover your expenses. And in any case, most people won't hire a foreigner who doesn't even speak their language.
This one. Especially this one.
Basic note: if you're really sure you don't have enough money BEFORE YOU SET OUT, do settle that first BEFORE YOU SET OUT. While there are stories of local aid and local hospitality, do not use that as an expectation [because it's rude or may come off as rude or set precedents along that tangent... >_<]; people will and can help, but it shouldn't be taken into a travel plan as an expected solution. ._.

As stated above. Really like everything i so far learned about indonesia, that whole region in general. It´s just one of my deepest wishes to experience those places. I also thought about thailand and vietnam, but i´m overall more interested in indonesia. It might be more practical, though, and i will consider it. Travelling around europe will be done this summer, altough i don´t care much about europe.
Have you tried getting a travel orientation about the places you want to visit, and the specifics about it that you became attracted to initially?

Scriabin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 04:54:58 am »

I backpacked in Indonesia for about three months 2015. I was there from 1 october to december. Started out in Sumatra and went to Lombok, Flores and East timor. The rainy season didn't bother me at all but it was delayed during 2015 so maybe I didn't experience it in full force.

Depending on which areas you go to Indonesia can be very cheap, my budget with everything except flights included was 450 euros a month. I travelled a lot in rural areas and my limited bahasa indonesia was never a problem. People love to talk and interact with you and learning the language isn't that hard if you prepare beforehand a bit. Put some hours into dualingo and learn the basics, then you can work your way from there.

It was very rare that people tried to scam me, try to get a feel for reasonable prices for different things before you go. How much is a taxi from the airpor? What is reasonable for a cheap hotel in your city? I never had any travel guides with me, there is wifi in a lot of places and wikitravel is great. Write down notes and plans for when you leave civilazation behind. As for safety I never felt unsafe and the biggest hazards are probably traffic and natural disasters.

I strongly advice you to go! I had a blast and learned a lot. Gather as much money as you can before you go, there always pops up unexpected expenses and having some leeway with cash is great.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 08:41:07 am »

I'd advise you to go, but I'd also back on all of azzuro's points, especially the ones involving language. Even if you knew how to speak the language, the dialects will kill you at some point. If you're going to do something as extreme as that, prep a ton of contingency plans, as I believe there are way too many variables that could go wrong.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 08:56:27 am »

i really love the wise dwarf fortress community
Reminded me of my sig.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 12:52:56 pm »

Also be aware that Sharia law is spreading through Indonesia, so don't do anything that would offend Sharia police. The former governor of Jakarta just got sentenced to 2 years in prison to appease huge crowds of muslim protestors demanding his head, convicted for blasphemy, for saying that the Quran does not forbid voting for a non-muslim. Your blue hair might offend some backwater Sharia militia member.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/05/09/jakartas-christian-governor-sentenced-to-prison-in-blasphemy-case/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:57:10 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479