Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to resize the launcher?  (Read 959 times)

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to resize the launcher?
« on: April 01, 2017, 12:13:08 pm »

My launcher window looks like this, forcing me to hover over options to see what they are about:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is there any way to resize either the window or the font?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to resize the launcher?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 10:47:46 pm »

ouch.... the gui is rather a forced window size, it appears you will need a higher window ratio for the gui to appear normally.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 09:48:15 pm »

I have the same problem.  A higher window ratio? Can you please explain what that means?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 07:47:06 am »

this is the way it should look.  This is a fresh installed in to empty folder.  Its a GUI that is autoset to 1024x700 pixels.  this is on win 10.

This is the other picture:

I'm not sure but the last time the window bar at the top used that standard was windows xp?  the image is also ~1024x700 pixels so maybe its not the graphics ratio(the monitor pixel size)... its what I assumed originally just by the appearance.

So I went and played with a few windows options and if you go into your windows display setting advanced you can change font size in win 10... and I could recreate the other window... by increasing font size only to 125%, its an advanced setting in win 10, primarily because it does cause this issue, had to go through several links to find it.  suddenly boom I get the same masterwork window.  I'll have to recreate it in a minute... so I'll write the path that I found it on... it requires a signing out and in on win 10.

EDIT:
WIN 10: Alright go to settings in the start menu then click system to pull up display settings( or via right clicking the desktop screen and selecting display settings).  On this screen if it says something along the lines of "disable custom scaling" beside the change the size of all text, app, and other then you have a custom scale and clicking that disable will reset them all to normal (100%).

To recreate the issue I clicked the "advanced display settings" at bottom of that page -> click "advanced sizing of texts and other things" at bottom of next page.  The page that appears next has a bunch of warnings, but allows you to set individually normal text font sizes, and "set a custom scaling level" for all text and items (i.e. not app size).  I click that one and set all text to 125% inside of it.

and that produces this:
  very close to what was shown above.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:13:28 am by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 08:30:10 am »

And that was the only way I could get close to it... in win 10 if you push the text in that option to 130%, the app moves up to 130%.  So this may be an issue with older versions with windows, that I can't replicate with the systems here... or it may be some other option in windows, and that I can't discern. 
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:30:27 am »

I'm on windows 7 and have my fonts ramped up to 150% so that I can see anything (large screen far from my face) so that is maybe the problem. Win7 wants me to close applications and log out if I want to change the zoom settings which is too much fiddling so I will just try to get by as it is. Thank you for taking the time to answer and ponder on the problem!

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 04:29:56 pm »

ah windows 7,  I skipped that one actually.

I went looking into the options provided in window 7 and they provided larger items(window items such as folders etc.) and texts, just not "apps" in their options.

win 10 lets you increase everything in one scale, but you might as well be reducing your screen's aspect ratio.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group