Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Fireblood Mountain (Turn 19: Who Says Diplomacy Never Works?) [Waitlist Open]  (Read 16982 times)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: Fireblood Mountain (Turn 1: Enter the Mountain) [Waitlist Open]
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 08:18:36 am »

Gary also (tries) to read and understand his tome.
Try to read different pages than this guy.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 08:45:02 am »

Gary also (tries) to read and understand his tome.
Try to read different pages than this guy.
I think each tome has a different set of pre-generated spells.

I take some personalized effort to peruse and scrutinize my tome, trying to memorize the more interesting spells off of it.

Aliemma

• Bay Watcher
  • Rejecting reality and substituting my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 10:49:12 am »

Jerila looks around at her party, trying to size up the lot of them.

Great. Just utterly fantastic.

"Well, anything in there shouldn't be able to hit us if we do this right,"

She takes the initiative and moves as close to the entrance as she can without stepping in. Other than adventure, excitement, volcano, gruesome death, and fun, what can be seen through the obsidian hole of doom?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2017, 12:20:43 pm »

"Well, anything in there shouldn't be able to hit us if we do this right,"
Precisely. Anyway. Mages, what do you have? Haste? Flight? Webs? Freeze? Stone Skin? Trap Sense? Whadaya got?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: Fireblood Mountain (Turn 2: Magic, in a Gathering) [Waitlist Open]
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 08:13:42 pm »

Turn 2: Magic, in a Gathering

First, Ae-Hale leafs through his personal copy of Klodel's Guide to Magic, as he is suddenly filled with the knowledge to cast [INT: 3+1] four new spells.

Suddenly, Ae-Hale's copy of the Guide disappears in a puff of smoke.

[-Item: Klodel's Guide to Magic]

"Wait! We're all squishy! We have no close combat fighters, nobody to absorb the blows so my beautiful face doesn't take them! Oh the humanity! What imbecile planned this?", Gary loudly complains before also perusing his copy of the Guide, as [INT: 3-1], sadly, only two spells are learned.

And in a puff of smoke, Gary's copy of the guide vanishes.

Finally, Ardelion makes a pass at Klodel's guide, learning a grand total of [INT: 5] five spells!

Then his tome too vanishes.

Jerila, after performing a spot check of her adventuremates and deciding that she's probably screwed, exclaims "Well, anything in there shouldn't be able to hit us if we do this right."

Quickly sliding up to the gaping obsidian hole, she peers inside while making sure that she doesn't actually enter. She notices that the source of the faint glow comes from a distant light deep inside the mountain, at a point slightly above her current elevation. Interesting.

Jacob Frost, meanwhile, makes a variety of helpful comments to his questmates, such as "This is why we never let anyone close enough to reach us. Think with pragmatism, mate. Now, mages, either of your books got some light spells, or scrying, or invisibility, or some such stuff? ...and you too, Gary. The sooner you open those books, the sooner you can instantly increase your usefulness by three times or more, depending on how useful those spells are." and "Anyway. Mages, what do you have? Haste? Flight? Webs? Freeze? Stone Skin? Trap Sense? Whadaya got?" Fantastic!

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:20:43 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 08:23:38 pm »

"...Seriously? A book of spells disappears after being read? How am I even supposed to ATTACK? None of our spells are a basic form of attack, and a majority of them are conditional. The only one that DOESN'T have a condition summons a weapon...that requires freakin' strength to use! Our only reliable spell casting magic requires an Arcane Weapon...where does one even FIND an Arcane Weapon? This isn't magic, it's a lottery!  I didn't sign up for this!"

Did he just edit the OP to say that the spellbooks disappeared after one use?

Edit: And is an Arcane Weapon a Wand or Staff? If so, it would've been nice to know that certain spells, the reliable bread-and-butter damage spells, mind you, need them Before I left myself with 100 spare gold.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:29:34 pm by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 08:30:44 pm »

"it seems you didn't get a general useful wand on you now don't ya. Their is quite a significant monopoly on enchanted catalysts aren't their now in these days. Whelp you going to have to rely on the good fashioned fisticuffs, good luck on ya, chap. I got yo say that you have learned an art of entertaining spells to say the least, Enlarge Spear??, Seduce Elemental?. Anyways we better do the general exploring into the cave for now. No wait maybe you want the handy tool of a shiv?"

Suggest to Ae-Hale if he wants a good, fashioned, simple weapon and if he agrees than Conjure up a shiv for him. Conjure up a shiv for me, however. The better quality shiv goes to me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:34:24 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 08:32:06 pm »

"You could have bought a wand.
Or borrow Dallan's when you need to cast.

Anyways. So.
Melt weapon should be quite useful at essentially crippling anyone with a melee weapon. Can it melt armor, too? That infernal bronze thing should also make a good projectile weap-
Can you melt an infernal bronze bolt mid-air?

Holes of void will be very useful. And kill bear should be helpful if we should ever encounter one; I hear that they're bad news. Congratulations Gary, have a cookie.
That's an expression, I don't have any cookies.

Hell yes, mark traps. You have earned yourself one free awesomeness token, Ard. Anyone who knows me will let you redeem them for a favor.
That includes me.
Anyway, deflecting heat (considering, volcano and all that) and shooting ice should also be useful. And Gary, if we're in a situation where that shiv conjuration is needed, it's still better than your bare fists.

Anyway, follow Ard get everyone going in, but only after getting Ard to cast mark traps and take the second position.
Stay on alert, with my crossbow readied, looking for both enemies and traps.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:58:19 pm by Glass »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 08:35:41 pm »

"HOW was I supposed to know that wands were necessary for some spell casting? It may be common knowledge in some planes, but other planes' don't need it. Besides, my family had AMNESIA! Someone should've given me a heads up...grumble.."

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 08:36:06 pm »

"...Seriously? A book of spells disappears after being read? How am I even supposed to ATTACK? None of our spells are a basic form of attack, and a majority of them are conditional. The only one that DOESN'T have a condition summons a weapon...that requires freakin' strength to use! Our only reliable spell casting magic requires an Arcane Weapon...where does one even FIND an Arcane Weapon? This isn't magic, it's a lottery!  I didn't sign up for this!"

Did he just edit the OP to say that the spellbooks disappeared after one use?

Edit: And is an Arcane Weapon a Wand or Staff? If so, it would've been nice to know that certain spells, the reliable bread-and-butter damage spells, mind you, need them Before I left myself with 100 spare gold.

((Them's the roll of the dice man. I had edited the OP to reflect that spellbooks disappeared a couple hours after I originally posted the thread, and I actually do have some damage spells that don't require an arcane weapon, such as ... say, Acid Breath or Molten Explosion.

Those are actually some of the spells I have written up, though. Don't worry. Y'all are gonna find some good ol' spells and items through adventuring and such.

Though because it's the very start of the game, I'll be generous and let you buy a wand before you enter the mountain. I guess I should have made the whole "Arcane Weapon" bit a little clearer.
Staffs and wands are the arcane weapons BTW.))
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 08:38:53 pm »

"I'll BUY A WAND, you tight-lipped merchant! Now, off!" *kicks merchant that appeared out of nowhere down the mountain*

((I've lost my anger in real life, but I might as well RP Hale's anger for the time being)

Aliemma

• Bay Watcher
  • Rejecting reality and substituting my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2017, 08:50:06 pm »

Jerila stares at the merchant that appeared out of nowhere and rolled/fell down the mountain just as quickly.

"Aw, I could've gotten some free stuff!"

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2017, 08:51:39 pm »

Gary ignores the antics of his comrades, and decides to press into the gaping hole of death.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2017, 08:52:53 pm »

Gary ignores the antics of his comrades, and decides to press into the gaping hole of death.
Not until mark traps is cast.

Also: can you melt weapon the infernal bronze bolts?

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2017, 08:55:44 pm »

Anyway, follow Ard get everyone going in, but only after getting Ard to cast mark traps.
Stay on alert, with my crossbow readied.

"If you really think it's plausible for me to cast mark traps without even seeing the designated trap than I think you got the wrong idea. I believe this spell is Mark Traps, not Detect Traps so this makes me not convinced that this spell will allow me to just walk in their all joyfully, never having to worry about a trap in the world"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16