Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants and low pop civ  (Read 1070 times)

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants and low pop civ
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:15:27 pm »

I looked in legends for my civ and it's population is a couple of goblins and no dwarves. Does that mean I will never get migrants after the hard-coded waves? Can you get migrants from different dwarf civilizations that are near and have thousands?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants and low pop civ
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:18:04 pm »

No. If there aren't any actual dwarves available, DF will provide you with "void" dwarves. These dwarves have no parents and no relatives (unless they happen to have a spouse or parent/child in the migrant wave). Apart from that quirk, they're normal dwarves (I suspect they might even be unable to be subjects to curses, but that's just a speculation based on the idea that there's no time for them to acquire curses: I have no facts to back that up).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:23:05 pm »

No. If there aren't any actual dwarves available, DF will provide you with "void" dwarves. These dwarves have no parents and no relatives (unless they happen to have a spouse or parent/child in the migrant wave). Apart from that quirk, they're normal dwarves (I suspect they might even be unable to be subjects to curses, but that's just a speculation based on the idea that there's no time for them to acquire curses: I have no facts to back that up).
Aren't void dwarves generated from abstract populations (besides the first two waves) though? Legends Viewer will give you the actual population numbers, not just historical figures. If that's 0 will you still get "void dorfs"?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 07:27:21 pm »

Yes.  You will still get "void" dwarfs even if there is no population of dwarfs.  This is intentional, I think.  Generally speaking, as far as I can tell, if your civ is dead (no caravan) then you get the first 2 hardcoded waves and that's it.  However, if you end up getting a caravan, then you can apparently keep getting immigrants even though there are no more dwarfs in the population that can come.  I've seen a couple of youtube let's plays where this has happened.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:02:53 pm »

My recent world had a message come up no matter which civ I picked "This civ is either dead or dying". However, I got quite a few migrant waves until I had nearly 110 Dwarves.

About 5 seasons into it, the militia commander decided "After a calm conversation" that he was the king now. Not long after that, "The world has passed into the Age of Legends". However, after that fort went relatively well, I retired it, and the civlisation was no longer dead or dying.

I love Dwarf Fortress. It's getting pretty deep. All I need to do now is set up a breeder fort and the dwarves will rule once again :D
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured